wife's access to falang bank account if falang deceased

NACHALUAY

thanks guys.  joint account doesnt work for immigration.  ATM card i knew wasnt practical ,so illegal too. i guess im not surprised. widow cant get funds but of course the state can get it.

i suppose i will need some kind of power of attorney or last will and testament or suchlike

10 minutes ago, NACHALUAY said:

thanks guys.  joint account doesnt work for immigration.  ATM card i knew wasnt practical ,so illegal too. i guess im not surprised. widow cant get funds but of course the state can get it.

i suppose i will need some kind of power of attorney or last will and testament or suchlike

Make a will and be specific.

Provide the bank with a copy of the will.

• Like 2

Yes you can add your wife to your account without having her 

name on the bank book,so OK for Immigration, they add her name

to the signature space on the bank book, which can only be seen

with a UV light, but make sure you completely trust your wife ????

I don't know what you call it ,but just explain to the Bank what you

want to do, CMBI bank cannot do it.

regards Worgeordie

On 11/20/2020 at 3:52 PM, Sheryl said:

I don't really understand how it works but people have reported being able to add their wife as signatory without her name appearing ion the account. (and hence no issue to use the account for immigration).

Ask your bank about that

This is indeed possible. No personal knowledge but has been confirmed from couple of the experts on thaivisa that have this in place.

It amounts to signature in bankbook that shows up under blue light. In addition some forms are filled in with the bank. 

BTW the account has no issue in being used for immigration requirements

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Grumpy one said:

Get her listed on the account as having access to it.

It only takes a few minutes in the bank and her signature is listed.

The account still in your name only

But ensure it's recorded that she alone can sign withdrawals, etc.

• Like 1

I keep a lump sum in my account, too!  I had the same concerns you write about.  We resolved this at the bank.  My spouse is now listed as a co owner with signature access to the account.  The second signature is also in the book on the last page, just below mine, and is visible only with the black light used at the bank.  My name is the only name printed on the “title” page of the bank book.  I have no problems with my annual extensions of stay.  Speak with your branch manager.

Edited by Tracyb

39 minutes ago, Tracyb said:

I keep a lump sum in my account, too!  I had the same concerns you write about.  We resolved this at the bank.  My spouse is now listed as a co owner with signature access to the account.  The second signature is also in the book on the last page, just below mine, and is visible only with the black light used at the bank.  My name is the only name printed on the “title” page of the bank book.  I have no problems with my annual extensions of stay.  Speak with your branch manager.

Has anyone done this at Bangkok Bank and has anyone done it at CIMB. Tks

Edited by PFMills

On 11/20/2020 at 3:52 PM, Sheryl said:

I don't really understand how it works but people have reported being able to add their wife as signatory without her name appearing ion the account. (and hence no issue to use the account for immigration).

Ask your bank about that

can confirm at Krungthai Bank - no problem

On 11/20/2020 at 3:37 PM, NACHALUAY said:

I have a term deposit account with Bangkok Bank.. in my name.. but.. my wife's name is on it too.. The statement for immigration only shows my name and is accepted.. when I die she will have access to the account.. in the meantime it is a 2 signature account.  Worked fine for my non O marriage visa a couple of months ago.. speak to a  BKB  manager ..

Surely the second signature means nothing in the circumstances because the account is frozen upon the death of the account holder and if the wife was still drawing money without telling the bank about the death then she would be committing fraud and would be found out eventually.

The only answer is to leave a will and after a court rules on the will and issues the final paper this is then given to the bank and they release the money.

• Thanks 1

Its a little naive to think accounts are getting instantly frozen when someone passes away. Who do people envisage are doing this, the banking police 

Reality is, people all over the world access accounts after someone passes, its just being practical.

I have had solicitors and bank etc advise to do so. Yes it not legal but its often one of those things where common sense prevails.

If its just some funds in the bank and its the wife who will inherit anyway, a quick transfer of funds and avoid a lengthy and costly probate

Is the account in Thailand or your home country.

In Thailand make a will.  A simple will can be drawn up at your amphur.  A more detailed will can be drawn up by any lawyer.  Price will run from about 5K THB for Thai only to 7 to 10K THB for Thai / English.  It helps if you get to know the manager of the bank so they know you and your wife on sight.  In that case the bank may release funds if provide with a death certificate prior to probate.

If the money is in your home country check with the institution and create an joint account with your wife as the survivor beneficiary.  It's a good idea to have that account linked to a third party money transfer service so your wife can access those funds electronically if you die.  She can then provide the bank with a death certificate and whatever else the bank requires in order to release the funds to her as beneficiary. 

This isn't rocket science or difficult.  It's just common sense. 

11 minutes ago, connda said:

Is the account in Thailand or your home country.

In Thailand make a will.  A simple will can be drawn up at your amphur.  A more detailed will can be drawn up by any lawyer.  Price will run from about 5K THB for Thai only to 7 to 10K THB for Thai / English.  It helps if you get to know the manager of the bank so they know you and your wife on sight.  In that case the bank may release funds if provide with a death certificate prior to probate.

If the money is in your home country check with the institution and create an joint account with your wife as the survivor beneficiary.  It's a good idea to have that account linked to a third party money transfer service so your wife can access those funds electronically if you die.  She can then provide the bank with a death certificate and whatever else the bank requires in order to release the funds to her as beneficiary. 

This isn't rocket science or difficult.  It's just common sense. 

I am not sure that what you say is correct. The bank told me that as my wife and I have a joint accounts she can use it after I die and before Probate.

On 11/20/2020 at 3:37 PM, NACHALUAY said:

A Thai will will solve that problem for you.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2020 at 6:15 AM, NACHALUAY said:

I think her using my ATM card may not be so reliable or efficient, Is there a way I can make sure of this?

Using the ATM as quick as possible for access to some – sometimes needed – cash is often talked about among Thai-wifes, but there will be a limit per withdrawal, and a daily maximum limit like for example 100k baht. It might be weird if the deceased use the ATM up to a week after passing away, even when believing in ghosts and spirits...:whistling:

Normally a bank shall freeze an account when notified about the death of the account holder.

The solution is making a Thai last will, and as there is (at the moment) no inheritance tax in Thailand, using the ATM, as long as it's possible, by the beneficiary in the last will might no be considered a crime.

If you have some extra emergency cash in a "rainy day account", you could make that account a shared account with two names, which will give you wife access to some cash – and preferably still make a Thai last will in favor of your wife – I'm using that solution with my Thai girlfriend, which also gives her access to our emergency fund if something non-fatal happens to me.