Covid-19 Vaccine and Thai Visas

Pfizer and Moderna covid-19 vaccine is coming out next month in USA. If you get vaccinated, do you still need 72 hour covid-19 test, ASQ quarantine for 2 weeks, US$100,000 covid insurance, COE, fit to fly clearance, etc.?

Or nothing has changed at this time from Thai government or maybe later on for better visa options.

On 11/19/2020 at 11:07 PM, ubonjoe said:

Nothing has changed at this time.

I don't think they will change anything for a while after it is released for use to confirm it works.

Hopefully later on efficacy  will prove otherwise and visa restrictions will be lifted.

There is zero chance they will eliminate quarantine anytime soon in my opinion.  Probably not until the majority of the Thai population is vaccinated.

Even with a 95% effective vaccine, if they just opened things up to vaccinated Americans and Europeans, with the current rate of virus transmission, there would be dozens of infected people arriving daily.

20 minutes ago, sweetserenity said:

The efficiency has already shown 95% successfull rate, so im sure the current requirments will be dropped as soon as people get vaccinated before they come

I doubt it will be given any consideration this side of Easter. 

Those at the front of the queue are unlikely to be heading to Thailand and once the general public get going the vaccine would have to be administered at least 6 weeks before travel.

Once it does come into play, I suspect the initial benefit will be no quarantine, I doubt they will be in a hurry to lift the insurance requirement and that is unlikely before a global recovery.

On 11/20/2020 at 1:35 PM, gt162 said:

Pfizer and Moderna covid-19 vaccine is coming out next month in USA.

it is not expected to be widely avail;able on demand for many months beyond that.

It is a huge task to produce the quantities needed and then transport it to the various injection sites etc etc. (Note that many parts of the country still don't have adequate access to testing!).

Medical workers and other first responders, and nursing home residents, will get it first and that alone will require tens of millions of doses.

After that, the at-home elderly and they will likely have to phase that in starting with the older ages first as there simply will not be enough for all at first.

We will be lucky if the general public can obtain it by summer. More likely late 2021.

As for how this will affect Thailand travel, no decisions have been made as yet. There are  still at least several months before there would start to be travelers with proof of vaccination and probably much more than that before there would be many.

We don't know if Thailand will decide to allow in foreigners with proof of vaccination quarantine free prior to having immunized the Thai population, or not.

I will have to travel to the US this summer, if not sooner, and while hoping to be able to avoid quarantine on return (circa late August or early September) I am prepared that it may still be required.

21 hours ago, sweetserenity said:

The efficiency has already shown 95% successfull rate, so im sure the current requirments will be dropped as soon as people get vaccinated before they come

I am inclined to say that infection numbers from the country of origin will be the factor as to whether quarantine will still be required. The idea of a vaccination passport sounds good, I just feel it will not be used.

I believe a time will come when showing a Covid-19 vaccination certificate will be part of the process in being allowed entry. That is probably a year down the road. It is possible that selected groups (critical foreign workers, perhaps) will be allowed quarantine free entry earlier, but quarantine is going to be with us for a long time yet. Continued strict controls will remain necessary if outbreaks are to be avoided.

On 11/20/2020 at 1:35 AM, gt162 said:

Pfizer and Moderna covid-19 vaccine is coming out next month in USA. If you get vaccinated, do you still need 72 hour covid-19 test, ASQ quarantine for 2 weeks, US$100,000 covid insurance, COE, fit to fly clearance, etc.?

Or nothing has changed at this time from Thai government or maybe later on for better visa options.

Also depends on how many mutations sars-cov-2 will go through, if for every mutation and evolution, a new vaccine is needed, then the restrictions will never get lifted because these things evolve faster than the vaccine can be developed/tested/produced/distributed.

23 hours ago, sweetserenity said:

Seems to me that the travel, hotel and hospitality industries will push hard in most/every country very quickly for no entry restriction/hotel quarantine etc., as soon as travelers can provide proof of vaccination.

Plus in Thailand (and other countries) these industries have strong political power. 

But we wait and see. 

Just now, scorecard said:

Seems to me that the travel, hotel and hospitality industries will push hard in most/every country very quickly for no entry restriction/hotel quarantine etc., as soon as travelers can provide proof of vaccination.

Plus in Thailand (and other countries) these industries have strong political power. 

But we wait and see. 

Exactly.. I doubt there will be any restriction once your vaccinated.. I just dont hope it will become mandatory to be vaccinated before you can enter Thailand. And in worst case scenario, that your forced to take the vaccine in thailand if you wish to continue staying.... I wouldnt dare taking the vaccine there..

1 minute ago, scorecard said:

But we wait and see. 

There will not be travel, hotel and hospitality industries in Thailand by the time a vaccine becomes available for the general public, if it even comes out at all and if there is no successor to covid-19 like covid-20 which will require a new vaccine.

59 minutes ago, greenhornfarang said:

There will not be travel, hotel and hospitality industries in Thailand by the time a vaccine becomes available for the general public, if it even comes out at all and if there is no successor to covid-19 like covid-20 which will require a new vaccine.

Love the optimism ????

On 11/22/2020 at 9:12 AM, sandyf said:

I doubt it will be given any consideration this side of Easter. 

Those at the front of the queue are unlikely to be heading to Thailand and once the general public get going the vaccine would have to be administered at least 6 weeks before travel.

Once it does come into play, I suspect the initial benefit will be no quarantine, I doubt they will be in a hurry to lift the insurance requirement and that is unlikely before a global recovery.

Whilst over 60s won't be at the front of the queue they will be not far down it after the most vulnerable and health workers. Retirees with big disposable incomes and no time restrictions should be in the vanguard of tourists welcomed back to Thailand.

What I find incredible is how selfish people are to respecting the Thai Government wishes at present. If you fall into any of the Categories listed for being able to visit Thailand then all sorted . If not you will just have to wait. No point in moaning about it.  It may actually go against the thai government opening seeing all the negativity towards them.

2 hours ago, greenhornfarang said:

Whatever.

18 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

With the new vaccines, if you take it before you come to Thailand won't you show as a positive on testing for covid-19? So don't hold your breath you maybe in quarantine for a very long time.

You will not test positive on an antigen test for having been vaccinated.

On 11/20/2020 at 1:35 PM, gt162 said:

I am sure if you have the vaccine in your own country it will not stand in Thailand , they will tell you that you will need to have the vaccine in Thailand to get your visa and still do the 72 hour covid-19 test, ASQ quarantine for 2 weeks, US$100,000 covid insurance, COE, fit to fly clearance, incase the vaccine don't work that is how the land of smiles works.

5 hours ago, greenhornfarang said:

Try being positive, it helps.

14 minutes ago, agood1963 said:

I am sure if you have the vaccine in your own country it will not stand in Thailand , they will tell you that you will need to have the vaccine in Thailand to get your visa and still do the 72 hour covid-19 test, ASQ quarantine for 2 weeks, US$100,000 covid insurance, COE, fit to fly clearance, incase the vaccine don't work that is how the land of smiles works.

I entirely disagree with your view. I am sure that once the vaccines are used in the US, Europe and elsewhere, the Thai authorities will accept it as a plague eliminating measure and skip all the present measures to encourage tourism, which has been on the mind of the authorities. It will obviously take some time to make sure that the vaccines actually work and the immunity lasts for at least few moths, but the information available now leads to real optimism, which is good news for Thailand.

25 minutes ago, agood1963 said:

Really! Are you sure about all of that? Try being positive.

On 11/22/2020 at 8:37 AM, sweetserenity said:

95% in the tests but they know nothing yet on what's going to happen if mass vaccination starts . So as Ubonjoe said they will wait and see first what will happen when vaccination starts .

1 hour ago, vandeventer said:

With the new vaccines, if you take it before you come to Thailand won't you show as a positive on testing for covid-19? So don't hold your breath you maybe in quarantine for a very long time.

So your saying that after a person has taken the vaccine that person will now test positive to Covid 19?

Where did you get this information from? 

4 hours ago, dougiemac52 said:

What I find incredible is how selfish people are to respecting the Thai Government wishes at present. If you fall into any of the Categories listed for being able to visit Thailand then all sorted . If not you will just have to wait. No point in moaning about it.  It may actually go against the thai government opening seeing all the negativity towards them.

You are absolutely right. It's really time that we ALL, Thai and foreigners realize and accept that the Thai authorities are doing all they can (fortunately with great success) to safeguard the health of the population. For me, it is an absolute certainty that as soon as the vaccines prove safe and effective, the authorities will lift restrictions, in a way they consider safe. It is in the interest of Thailand to revive tourism and genuine foreign investments.

1 hour ago, agood1963 said:

"they will tell you that you will need to have the vaccine in Thailand". That's true, money will talk again, no other reason.

Archived