Kalasin: Farmers overwhelmed by losses as price of rice falls to just Bt6 per kilo

Farmers overwhelmed by losses as price of rice falls to just Bt6 per kilo

By The Nation

800_f13e86d79b41bd6.jpg?v=1605856183

Farmers in Kalasin province were reduced to tears due to massive losses after the price of rice dropped to just Bt6 or Bt7 per kilo this week.

Pee Wannasri, 68, said on Friday he was expecting the price be between Bt9 and Bt10 per kilogram, so he could earn enough money to pay off his debts and support his family.

He said 300 to 400 kilograms of rice is produced per rai, and at this rate farmers will only earn Bt1,800 to Bt2,400 per rai instead of Bt2,100 to Bt2,800.

Since the cost of production per rai is about Bt2,900, farmers will suffer heavy losses and all they can do is complain and hold each other’s hand.

They called on the government to guarantee the price of rice, as they will not be able to pay the money they owe to the Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30398286

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-11-20

• Sad 4
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rice farming has become unprofitable for many. I know of a few farmers in the northeast whom I've tried to help by making calculations for all their spendings and earnings and was shocked how little i

So we will be seeing cheaper rice in the shops, markets and supermarkets, .....no I don't think so , just more profit for the middle men, shops. regards worgeordie

So you think that the 14 Baht difference goes to the shop 🙂   Not quite that simple    

5 minutes ago, webfact said:

Since the cost of production per rai is about Bt2,900, farmers will suffer heavy losses and all they can do is complain and hold each other’s hand.

Is this supposed to be funny? 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Rice is so cheap here why can't they increase the price. I pay 100 baht for a 5 kilo bag in Tesco, the same as 2 large Changs ! So the farmers get 6 baht a kilo and the shops 14 baht.

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Rice is so cheap here why can't they increase the price. I pay 100 baht for a 5 kilo bag in Tesco, the same as 2 large Changs ! So the farmers get 6 baht a kilo and the shops 14 baht.

the first lesson i ever learned in business - "he who controls the customer controls the business"

so the farmers could try putting the price up but the seller (in this case tesco et al) would just find alternative suppliers

sucks i know. but as yet no-one has come up with a viable alternative that doesn't resemble a form of communism.

• Like 1

Rice Farming has been a ticking time bomb for many years now.   There are so many failures all through the system and whilst other countries are able to grow better quality rice and export it cheaper as time passes the Farmers in Thailand are still mainly growing the same old stuff.  Of course; the greedy middle men are ripping off the Farmers and nobody has ever done anything to stop it.    It's become a dead end trade sadly and more and more Paddy's will end up under Concrete.

• Sad 1

The farmers need to vertically integrate the supply chain to the end customer. The end customer is paying about 300% more than the farmer gets. Who's getting all the profit in the supply chain??

• Like 2