Luggage handling fees only apply to cabs heading to and from Bangkok airports: Land Transport Dept

snoop1130

12 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Minister's have nothing better to do that come up with these cocked ideas.

Yes, like also charge the airport link passengers the same hike. ????

Otherwise the trains will be even more chockers with passengers and luggage. (Well when they are allowed back in that is ????

211120_124048.jpg

• Like 1

Does anyone really think the drivers are going to tell passengers about the luggage fee before they get in?  Most will not even use their meter or tell the client what they will charge until they are well on the way and you are committed.  I have even seen Taxi meters who did not even have a meter.  They are not all bad.  I have had some good rides but many more bad ones.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Oldie said:

Using taxis is often a nightmare here anyway - no meter and other forms of cheating. Now they just got an additional opportunity to cheat customers and make them unhappy. 

Generally Bangkok taxis are great. The ones who want to rip you off tend to make it clear as soon as you say your destination by either refusing to go there or not wanting to use the meter. If they pass that test I find they are normally not a problem but some may still take a round-about route even when you have a gps and can show them what they are doing. 

As for any tourist areas, taxis are a scourge to be avoided. Mafias rule and have done more harm to tourism than anything else until covid. It is not confined to farang, they will rip off Thais just as quick. At least they get you to your destination directly so they can fleece another mug as soon as they can. Taxi drivers are some of the first and last people tourists meet - first and last impressions are remembered the most. If only the people in charge could understand how important that is and clear out the mafias. I am not alone in deciding where to go on holiday based on how I am treated from previous visits - or can avoid being badly treated. Cheap bike rental helps but the airport run can still be a challenge.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chang1 said:

Common sense would mean take the first cab and no tip or better still a cab who does not charge for baggage and still no tip.

Why do some people have this overwhelming urge to tip certain people yet would never think of tipping others? The US takes this to an extreme.

Most people know that the service industry is one of the most underpaying jobs around, and the way I see it, is three fold, e.g. I worked in the service industry for years, being tipped meant that the customer/s were happy with the service that I provided for them, and of course it made up for the shortfall in wages that the multicorportates got away with paying me while they reaped the rewards. Secondly it makes me feel good when I tip someone who is deserving of it, as I am sure the little extra 100 baht here and there like, to the porter at the Hilton the other day for taking my bags down to my car yesterday would go along way for him, as it would the waitress who served us drinks at the Sky Garden on the 17th floor.

1 hour ago, chang1 said:

I am a service engineer and very rarely get offered a drink yet alone a tip so why should I tip a taxi driver, waitress or a hotel porter? All I ever expect is to be treated courteously and with respect which is how I treat others no matter what their job is. 

You answered your own question, i.e. you are not in the (direct) path of the service industry and obviously get paid more in your industry you work in. Courtesy and respect is expected naturally however not always provided, so next time you receive a wai, a door opened for you, a drink served to you with a smile perhaps loosen up a little and feel better for it, as mentioned I do, but then again, it all boils down to one's character and outlook on life, each to their own.  

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mrfill said:

Dual pricing must be maintained so this is just a fare rise but only applies to tourists or international travellers (mostly non-Thai). Kerching...

How is this dual pricing if thais pay too?

The policy may be ill considered, but this has nothing to do with skin type or nationality, no matter how badly you need it to be.

• Like 2

So, if you go to Mo Chit Bus Station or Bangkok Central Railway Station with luggage, it will be carried free??? Do these baggage fees also apply to metered cabs operating to/from all the regional airports??? In my opinion, this looks like another rip-off of tourists arriving in, or departing  from Bangkok when the pandemic is over.

• Like 1

So the airport taxis can change a baggage handling fee?

Normally because of the gas tank in the boot they put the cases on the seat, or you have them on your lap..

Crazy..

If they introduced designated taxi cabs purposely built, could understand this.

But it's impossible for more than 2 people with bags to be in the Same vehicle...

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

If a cab driver has the right to charge for luggage, then that driver should announce to the passenger at the time before the passenger is getting onto the cab that he/she will be charged XYZ for the bags, then the passenger can decide whether they will take the cab.

From the OP...

"The cabbie is required to inform the passenger in advance about the extra handling fees".

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hellohello123 said:

So that means cab drivers  anytime a tourist or farang gets into a taxi even to travel 3mins down the road not even remotely close to the airport, are going to be dodgy and try and charge it.

Way to go to increase distrust in taxi drivers

"Land Transport Department’s deputy director Tanee Suebrerk announced that this special fee only applies to metred taxis plying to and from Bangkok’s two airports.

He said taxis that do not pick up or deliver passengers to Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports will only charge ordinary metre fare".

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The cabbie is required to inform the passenger in advance about the extra handling fees. No charges will be allowed for carry-on baggage such as handbag, computer bag, backpack or personal belongings carried by the passenger.

Must be getting tough out on the streets to make a viable living driving a cab, must make up the difference one way or another.

This charge is only for the tourists and other farang, foreignors as Thais will just tell the driver to get

stuffed,  in Thai language of course. 

It just shows that we the visitors will continue to be fleeced when possible.  LOS

or Land of Scams is really getting to be the new motto.  I am so happy that I have a Thai family 

that picks me up at the airport when I visit.

Geezer

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Luggage handling fees only apply to cabs heading to and from Bangkok airports: Land Transport Dept

Just wait a while there will be plenty jumping on the band wagon.

They also said that it isn't Compulsory ,it will be  soon  the drivers will make it  compulsory themselves .