Luggage handling fees only apply to cabs heading to and from Bangkok airports: Land Transport Dept

snoop1130

Apart from all the obvious criticisms already mentioned of this nonsensical scheme here’s another one.  ...taxi drivers who don,t want to go to the airport because the customer doesn’t have enough baggage to charge the extra fees.  INCREDULOUS  STUPIDITY!!

4 hours ago, Razek said:

When you know that in Thailand there is a Minister who was in Australia Prison for drug Export.Import you will never be shocked about this new Form of Cheating

I can't see it but maybe you could you point out the "cheating" part of public announcements advising potential airport taxi passengers only that there may be an officially sanctioned baggage charge of B20 for certain sizes of luggage?

Edited by Tick Nurner

4 hours ago, kevin612 said:

This is ridiculous, whoever created this idea should get beaten. It is just like we go to eat in a restaurant, they charge us using the spoons and forks

That is ridiculous.  Being provided with cutlery is normal and not subject to an extra charge in restaurants just as being provided with a seat and mobility from pickup to destination isn't charged extra in taxis.

Perhaps there would be a corollary if you went into that restaurant with luggage and asked the waiter to carry it all, store it safely and return it to you outside the restaurant after you'd finished your meal.

Edited by Tick Nurner

3 hours ago, UK Martin said:

Why all the chit chat ?

GRAB TAXI.... Done!

From the airports?

You know Grab Taxis are taxis and taxis are now allowed to charge B20 for larger items of luggage, there's been no announcement of exemptions for taxis called through Grab, has there? 

Edited by Tick Nurner

This sounds like the perfect way to confuse and further rip off tourists.

Of course it doesn't affect Thai because they don't fly domestically.  haha

Governments world wide pass these bogus taxes they claim don't hurt locals, but of course it does both directly and indirectly as it pi__es off tourists.

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, jkcjag said:

Apart from all the obvious criticisms already mentioned of this nonsensical scheme here’s another one.  ...taxi drivers who don,t want to go to the airport because the customer doesn’t have enough baggage to charge the extra fees.  INCREDULOUS  STUPIDITY!!

Only in your imagination, unless you have an example.

6 minutes ago, Showtime said:

Governments world wide pass these bogus taxes they claim don't hurt locals, but of course it does both directly and indirectly as it pi__es off tourists.

Do Thai citizens not get taxis to and from the airports in normal times?  

Edited by Tick Nurner

4 hours ago, Magenta408 said:

I agree. Taxi drivers are poorly paid, work inordinately long hours and in this economy, need a boost. It's very little skin off your backs.

If it is that bad why are there so many taxis? If they do need a boost put the meter rates up not by adding things to the fare that will just <deleted> people off. 

11 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Most people know that the service industry is one of the most underpaying jobs around, and the way I see it, is three fold, e.g. I worked in the service industry for years, being tipped meant that the customer/s were happy with the service that I provided for them, and of course it made up for the shortfall in wages that the multicorportates got away with paying me while they reaped the rewards. Secondly it makes me feel good when I tip someone who is deserving of it, as I am sure the little extra 100 baht here and there like, to the porter at the Hilton the other day for taking my bags down to my car yesterday would go along way for him, as it would the waitress who served us drinks at the Sky Garden on the 17th floor.

You answered your own question, i.e. you are not in the (direct) path of the service industry and obviously get paid more in your industry you work in. Courtesy and respect is expected naturally however not always provided, so next time you receive a wai, a door opened for you, a drink served to you with a smile perhaps loosen up a little and feel better for it, as mentioned I do, but then again, it all boils down to one's character and outlook on life, each to their own.  

This is the attitude that causes these people to have low wages. Stop tipping and the companies will be forced to pay higher wages to retain staff. If people want to work in low paid jobs they shouldn't expect me to top up their wages. Tipping is BS. Why is a tip worked out as a percentage of the bill? Using your logic of helping them, you should tip the server in McDonald's the same as the waitress in the hilton but I bet you don't. Own up, tipping makes you feel good because you are showing the taxi driver how wealthy you are - it's all about face. 

An example - my wife and her relatively well off friend checked into a hotel and as is expected tipped the bell boy. They later took a couple of rickshaws peddled by old men. When it came to pay her friend didn't tip at all and my wife tipped her sweating tired old guy who said it was not needed but my wife still tipped as he had worked far harder than the pointless bell boy who was given 500 Baht to push 2 small suitcases around an air condioned hotel. 

Tipping someone who goes above and beyond their job WHEN required is fine otherwise it is just wrong. 

On my first visit to Singapore in 1982 the taxis had a notice in them saying do not tip the driver - I didn't and all was well, they still have taxis. 

2 hours ago, Tick Nurner said:

Wow, it's only B20 per bag, you know.

And you don't think that it will ever increase or be abused? Once that "extras" door is opened it is hard to close it when you find what's behind it. What about the 50 Baht Airport charge? Why doesn't that cover it?

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Tick Nurner said:

That is ridiculous.  Being provided with cutlery is normal and not subject to an extra charge in restaurants just as being provided with a seat and mobility from pickup to destination isn't charged extra in taxis.

Perhaps there would be a corollary if you went into that restaurant with luggage and asked the waiter to carry it all, store it safely and return it to you outside the restaurant after you'd finished your meal.

I don't agree with your analysis. Taxis have boots for the passenger's luggage it is not a different service. In fact it is one of the main reasons for using a taxi to go to the airport instead of the sky train. Hence this charge only applies to airport runs.

On the other hand restaurants are not setup to handle luggage and as it is not a normal request  they could just refuse. But if they did look after it a tip may be in order.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, chang1 said:

This is the attitude that causes these people to have low wages. Stop tipping and the companies will be forced to pay higher wages to retain staff. If people want to work in low paid jobs they shouldn't expect me to top up their wages. Tipping is BS. Why is a tip worked out as a percentage of the bill? Using your logic of helping them, you should tip the server in McDonald's the same as the waitress in the hilton but I bet you don't. Own up, tipping makes you feel good because you are showing the taxi driver how wealthy you are - it's all about face. 

An example - my wife and her relatively well off friend checked into a hotel and as is expected tipped the bell boy. They later took a couple of rickshaws peddled by old men. When it came to pay her friend didn't tip at all and my wife tipped her sweating tired old guy who said it was not needed but my wife still tipped as he had worked far harder than the pointless bell boy who was given 500 Baht to push 2 small suitcases around an air condioned hotel. 

Tipping someone who goes above and beyond their job WHEN required is fine otherwise it is just wrong. 

On my first visit to Singapore in 1982 the taxis had a notice in them saying do not tip the driver - I didn't and all was well, they still have taxis. 

Your friend tipped 500 baht to a bell boy?!?

You've just put his kids through college

9 hours ago, chang1 said:

We obviously see things totally different and that's fine.

As for your comments suggesting is we stop tipping, service industry companies will increase wages is immature and totally absurd.

I tip because it makes me feel good, same when I see someone down and out, some call it begging, I prefer to use the the words down and out, I will give them some money, I see nothing wrong with giving someone some money for a meal or to advance them for that day, or for providing me a good service, really what is 100 baht, you sound like a real hard nut.

It has nothing to do with my wealth, status or about face, to me it's about humility. 

In an earlier post on page 1 you said;  "All I ever expect is to be treated courteously and with respect which is how I treat others no matter what their job is".

You see the difference between you and me is that I don't expect, if for example I offer a smile and a wai, I don't expect it in return, it's my way of saying, hello, I'm feeling good, how are you, and if that person reciprocates, all and good, we have the same understanding and mutual feeling, if they don't, I won't get my knickers in a twist and will move forward, you on the other hand would probably get p-ssed off.

If I stay at a hotel or I am eating at a restaurant and the service is lousy, naturally I will not tip them, tipping for me is two fold, for the service I am provided, e.g. if one stays at the Hilton, one would assume a 10 out of 10 level of service and it is always provided, if one is staying at a 3 star hotel like iBis, then one should expect a 6 or 7 out of 10 level of service, it all boils down to the money and what you want to invest in with you being provided with that level of comfort/level of service, that is not to say that I have never stayed at iBis or tipped iBis staff, as I mentioned before, I don't expect, but when I receive and enjoy a service I will show my gratitude by tipping as opposed to putting my nose in the air because I expect, that sounds like a cheap Charlie to me.

If you don't want to tip, that is your prerogative, but don't go telling others not to tip, life's too short and you can't take it with you, perhaps you should start giving to a charity monthly, it might make you feel better.

Have a nice day.

Excellent ! This will favor rip off an entertain the confusion in pricing all the rides.  Usually first impression and last impression are key factors to evaluate a country, those officials may not know about it . 

For sure tourists and business people will love this attractive welcoming great idea.

They will appreciate and remember....

Land of Smile, ha ha ha !

20 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Many times had problems with the taxi drivers, no meter, extra charge for this and that, argumentative and rude.

Now we always use the train from the airport. So easy, good price and quicker, with no grumpy taxi driver. 

These people do themselves out of work.

Rubbish.

Before Covid I would travel at least once a month for work.  And I've worked here for 25 years and must have used airport taxis hundreds of times.  Never, not once, not on a single occasion, have they ever brought up an extra charge for anything, have they ever gone off meter, have I ever had an argument.  Not once.

So you are either extremely unlucky or you are simply lying.

16 hours ago, rupert the bear said:

could they come out with any thing more stupid?yes every day we open this site and there it is.an iq of a stunned mullet.so why is it only the airport.listen to some raving barking bs based upon how self important i am.its mindless u pay 50b as a surcharge leave it at that,i give up.get the airport open im off im done with it.one last rip off .what a releif and no more of this constant stupid stupid but im so important nonsense.beam me up!

Seeya, don't forget to close the door on your way out!  Leaving a country over 20 baht on the odd occasion you have luggage and take a taxi from the airport.  Hope you don't need a taxi for your journey out!

Thai taxis are the third cheapest of any major city in the world.  And this is 20 baht.  And you think this says how important they are?  Weird.

Also ironic that you rant about their IQ and how stupid they are yet you don't even know what punctuation or capital letters are.  But yes, I do agree that every time we open this site we see IQs of stunned mullets (whatever they are) - your post is a perfect example.

15 hours ago, Showtime said:

Another TVF poster with an imaginary victim delusion that thinks everything is anti foreigner.

But of course you're right - every time I get a domestic flight I only see foreigners in the terminal and on the plane, not a Thai in sight!

Thais don't fly domestically, seriously what on earth are you talking about.  I would say 90% of domestic travellers are Thai.

2 hours ago, David Garden said:

Excellent ! This will favor rip off an entertain the confusion in pricing all the rides.  Usually first impression and last impression are key factors to evaluate a country, those officials may not know about it . 

For sure tourists and business people will love this attractive welcoming great idea.

They will appreciate and remember....

Land of Smile, ha ha ha !

Yeah, tourists will really remember being charged 20 baht for a bag on two taxi journeys in their holiday.  Will be a massive deal for them and they will tell all their friends about the extra 40 baht fee incurred on their holiday to Thailand.

2 hours ago, Road Warrior said:

what great idea !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   this will encourage  tourists ??????????????????? what a idiot move !! 

Do tourists avoid London because taxis are expensive?  No.
Do tourists avoid New York because the taxis are expensive?  No.
Do tourists not go to Singapore because there is an airport surcharge?  No.  What about the city centre surcharge?  Nope.  Surely the Sentosa surcharge would kill it as Sentosa is a popular tourist destination?  No.  The Marina Bay Sands Sunday surcharge?  No one cares.
Do they avoid Hong Kong because they have to pay 6 HKD per bag?  No.  Do they come back from their amazing trip to the place and tell their friends not to visit because they had to pay for a bag?  Of course not.

But obviously charging 20 baht for a bag from the airport on top of the third cheapest taxi fare in the world will cause tourists to stop visiting Thailand, and will also cause a lot of punctuation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????

It amazes me what ridiculous over reactions incredibly trivial announcements generate here.  

Edited by josephbloggs

So I could bring my wife, son and a friend, for no additional cost, but you wan't me to pay extra again for a piece of luggage that I put in the trunk myself? Seriously, how to frustrate people even more! Already have to pay the 50 baht airport surcharge and then toll ways to not get stuck in traffic, now this too?

I'll take the bus to mo chit, it is often even faster. What is next? An 100 baht surcharge if wearing flip flops?

They really do not understand the definition of hospitality in this this country at all... Yet their economy relies on it lol. Starts to be pathetic.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

6 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Rubbish.

Before Covid I would travel at least once a month for work.  And I've worked here for 25 years and must have used airport taxis hundreds of times.  Never, not once, not on a single occasion, have they ever brought up an extra charge for anything, have they ever gone off meter, have I ever had an argument.  Not once.

So you are either extremely unlucky or you are simply lying.

Wow. How rude. 

Well, i am sure you are not mistaken and lying when you say you NEVER had a problem with a single taxi from the airport the 100's of times you used them.

Or maybe you did not realise if you got overcharged. 

I had one driver say there was a charge for actually turning on the meter. Another one said it was broken. Another tried to charge me extra after we agreed the price with the hotel staff first. Another one was very aggressive and scary when we asked him to stop the cab as he would not turn on the meter and then when I did turn it on he was grumbling and driving erratic and my elderly parents were with me in the taxi and were quite shaken by it on their first visit to Bangkok. 

So there is my experience. Have not used one for 2 years now...so maybe they have improved, but those bad experiences have ensured I will never use them again. I'll stick to the train thanks..

2 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Wow. How rude. 

Well, i am sure you are not mistaken and lying when you say you NEVER had a problem with a single taxi from the airport the 100's of times you used them.

Or maybe you did not realise if you got overcharged. 

I had one driver say there was a charge for actually turning on the meter. Another one said it was broken. Another tried to charge me extra after we agreed the price with the hotel staff first. Another one was very aggressive and scary when we asked him to stop the cab as he would not turn on the meter and then when I did turn it on he was grumbling and driving erratic and my elderly parents were with me in the taxi and were quite shaken by it on their first visit to Bangkok. 

So there is my experience. Have not used one for 2 years now...so maybe they have improved, but those bad experiences have ensured I will never use them again. I'll stick to the train thanks..

How would I not realise if I've been overcharged?  It is meter + 50 baht.  And yes, it is a fact that I have never had an issue with an airport taxi apart from things like driving like a nutcase - never been overcharged or asked for money to turn on the meter.

You had all those things happen to you with airport taxis, very very unfortunate indeed, and amazing that all those things have happened to just one person.

4 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

How would I not realise if I've been overcharged?  It is meter + 50 baht.  And yes, it is a fact that I have never had an issue with an airport taxi apart from things like driving like a nutcase - never been overcharged or asked for money to turn on the meter.

You had all those things happen to you with airport taxis, very very unfortunate indeed, and amazing that all those things have happened to just one person.

Because many of the meters are rigged too, the scamming often takes place that way. 

Anyway, it is not that likely to get nonsense from the airport to the city as another way around. In that last case it usually depends where one gets the taxi. I know areas in BKK where I never had any issues but also areas where it is always trouble.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

2 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Because many of the meters are rigged too, the scamming often takes place that way. 

Anyway, it is not that likely to get nonsense from the airport to the city as another way around. In that last case it usually depends where one gets the taxi. I know areas in BKK where I never had any issues but also areas where it is always trouble.

Yes, get a taxi that is parked outside a hotel and you are asking for trouble.  Flag one down off the street and they are usually fine.  Take one from the airport - as we were talking about - never had an issue.

On 11/21/2020 at 1:24 AM, fangless said:

Why have this charge?

What is it for.  If it is a "weight" charge then does a large obese passenger get charged more than a slim one. Or "sit one get one free"?

As I said in an earlier post Thailand is trying to become the "Hub of tourist red tape".

Either charge all bags on all routes or do not do it. KISS!

(KISS-Keep It Simple Stupid)

My 100 baht tip is cancelled.