Minister calls urgent cybersecurity talks after leak of 13m e-commerce accounts

rooster59

3 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Lazada is an awful website with an awful layout. Don’t you just love when you type something in and it says “we’ve detected some unusual activity” so you have to slide the bar. And then is often the case you have to keep sliding the bar ‘til you’ve done it perfectly. And then, to top it all off and p*** you off some more, you have to reenter what you typed in in the first place. 

A website like Amazon is far superior in every way. 

Never had a problem with Lazada. I find its android app very good and easy to use. Its search engine could do with a major overhaul though with boolean AND / OR options. 

5 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

How many times have we read of data breaches? Dozens, involving even the biggest companies in the world. Their claim that they take the security of our information very seriously isn't worth anything at all. I've read many times also that the situation is far more serious than most of us hear about, as hackers hold companies to ransom and who knows how much has to be handed over to the cyber-criminals to avoid 'embarrassment'.

The situation with information security is much worse than you could even imagine :D

And to the topic — I bet $100 that Lazada itself was not hacked but sold customers' information to some third party company "for marketing purposes" and that company was hacked. Or, with much higher chance - just uploaded that data to the open server (without a password), or some lame password like "admin".

This is the new generation of safe crackers.

Before we went digital, all this data was kept in armoured safes, which were also cracked, but it involved much more physical involvement, like they had to travel - get entrance to buildings, then crack the safe, and last but not the least get away with the loot.

All this had to be done within a limited time frame.

Today the armoured safes are replaced by databases, which of course are also protected.

But it all happens online from the other side of the planet, and not much risk involved, as they know how to hide their tracks.

So they have all the time, sometimes even weeks or months, and if they don't succeed there is little chance they get traced.

Nothing that is online is safe from intruders.

14 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I know at least two Westerners employed by large Thai companies in cybersecurity. 

One works for a Thai Bank as Head of cybersecurity. 

But they are not what is called digital nomads, who sell woolen socks on eBay, they are the kind of people like there will only be a few in this country.

And while they most likely will be very knowledgeable in what they are doing, every security can be cracked.

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

It is a very scary proposition isn't it.  You wonder if any of the foreign Embassies have even broached the subject with the Thai Government about how all of our information is available for anyone within immigrations grasp, and not secured.  When I obtained my extension last month, the stacks of paperwork were just sitting on desks with no one around.

Our documents are all over their offices easy to double copy it by a person with bad intentions and also our agents got all our private paperwork documents its an horrible scenario with identity theft gaining popularity each day ????????.. Whats their next demand a spare key of our front-door ? Glad i dont live there ????

• Haha 1

This is SOOOOOOOO Funny, I have to make a POEM.
Chinese came with an STV... It was a massive personal fee.
Chinese want there money back, but who else to talk to was the f888king TAT.

Everyday they think the world is full of money, but they have no concept of honey.
They think the world is full of cash that will come to Thailand and SPLASH !!!
WHAT IDIOTS THEY ARE, TO THINK THEY CAN GO SO FAR..
It is a shame the land of smiles, has become the paper work of miles....

When I have had details with other companies that have had data breaches I have had an email informing me of such and recommending changing password, even though it might be a bit late.

From Lazada...nothing. Reluctance to admit an error maybe?

On 11/21/2020 at 7:42 AM, HaoleBoy said:

I doubt that will help much.  Most of these "digital nomads" are bloggers / vloggers, front end (web sites), and gamers.  Cybersecurity is a very specialized field that pays very well.  I doubt you'll find someone like that hanging out in Thailand.

Completely false. I work remotely for Google and have done so for 6 years. I live in Phuket. I get paid 7 figs USD / year + 6 figs USD in GOOGL equity. Google has me on contract for another decade. Yep, that’s how good I am.

There are plenty of brilliant digital nomads living in Thailand. (Why would you not live in Thailand if you’re rich and can work from wherever you want?)

However, no chance Thailand can afford me and that’s really the major barrier. If Thailand wants to attempt to match 7 figure USD Big Tech salaries, I would definitely consider helping them out with their Cybersecurity issues.

12 hours ago, Raphus said:

This is SOOOOOOOO Funny, I have to make a POEM.
Chinese came with an STV... It was a massive personal fee.
Chinese want there money back, but who else to talk to was the f888king TAT.

Everyday they think the world is full of money, but they have no concept of honey.
They think the world is full of cash that will come to Thailand and SPLASH !!!
WHAT IDIOTS THEY ARE, TO THINK THEY CAN GO SO FAR..
It is a shame the land of smiles, has become the paper work of miles....

Dont give up your day job.......

5 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

There is a difference between Thai bashing which is the criticism of Thais in general and the  the criticism of THIS GOVERNMENT elected in part with senators themselves appointed by this same government and it's no secret that the choice of its members was dictated more by favoritism and political friendships than by competence. So this has nothing to do with « Thai  bashing » that by the way I fight personally. I am sorry if you do not see this enormous nuance.

I wasn't talking to you.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

all the major e-commerce platforms in Thailand are not Thai, Lazada for example belongs to Alibaba which has a massive data center in mainland China, do you really think they will trust their business with some dirty Thai data center or even worse trust their cyber defense in the hands of a one guy from somewhere else? go figure. 

this story smells fishy for me, all I can say thailand has nothing to do with whatever was leaked.

20 hours ago, Traubert said:

I wasn't talking to you.

555 it's  your  private forum? ????

It's the first time in years I see such answer, by the way like it or not I was answering to your post, politely it seems to me,  for everyone to read it not only you!