How long does it take to find a buyer and sell a condominium (in normal times, not now)

I am thinking about buying a condominium in the middle of Bangkok. And probably I will live there for the next 10 years or even longer.

But let's say in 10 years I want to sell it and use the money to buy another condominium somewhere on the beach.

How long does it normally (maybe in average) take to find a buyer and sell a condominium? Let's assume for this thread we talk about a good location and a condominium in good condition.

Does it take maybe 3 to 6 months to sell it? Or possibly a lot longer?

I guess it's always possible to sell something fast if the price is very low. That is not what I am asking for. I think about a reasonable sell price according to the market condition at that time.

• Confused 1

How long is a piece of string...looking 10 years into the future

the way things are at this time, is virtually impossible, BUT if

your Condo is in a good location, the most important thing in

buying or selling any property, really you should have no

problem in selling it,(maybe they will have sold off most of

the glut of Condominiums by then).  ????  good luck.

When the 1997 melt down started,and interest rates started

to drop substantially,I moved from cash into property,and

was lucky to buy a few properties  cheap,that I have done well with,

Cash is no longer King, with interest rates so low, your money is just

melting away as inflation is higher than returns..on deposits

Regards Worgeordie

• Like 2

I suggest you educate yourself before you buy your question cannot truly be answered as it is a totally non transparent market here.  No MLS or easy online access to historical information on properties as in many western countries.

But, your dream of being near water may come true without moving as many experts say Bangkok is sinking and will be underwater in the future.  So, make sure you buy on a high floor.

Between climate change and land subsidence, the Thai National Reform Council predicts that the city of Bangkok could be under water in less than 15 years.

Good luck.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Thats a simple equation, the condos are not worth 1.6 million baht. 

If something doesn't sell in 3 years, the asking price is too high, It's not an indication of the market, it's an indication of someone asking too much.

You may be right. However, as the going price at that condo is between 1.6 million and 2 million, to me it indicates there are a dearth of buyers in Chiang Mai. There are whole gated communities around CM sitting empty of tenants and homeowners.

Thanks for all your posts.

I know there is not a fixed answer, that's why I added some conditions.

I am sure we have lots of people on TV who sold their condominium (or have a friend who did that or tried that). So we should have some statistical information here.

Obviously nobody knows what will happen in 10 years. But I am pretty sure Covid won't be a problem anymore at that time.

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe that will be an issue in 50 years. I hope people will live happy at that time but I am sure I won't live that long. So I don't worry about that problem now.

It will certainly be an issue in 50 years, that's a given. Even the most optimistic projections are saying so.

What is unknown is the possibility of a Black Swan event in the environment, such as the albedo of Greenland decreasing on a negative exponential scale. Or a xenophobic Thai government deciding all farangs are polluting their racial purity, and ordering everyone out, longest tourist stay two weeks.

In April, who would have thought the price of oil would go into negative territory for a brief time?

Of course, there's also nothing to say the Thais won't take a leaf out of the Dutch playbook.

10 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

Beats me why any foreigner would ever consider owning property in Bangkok.  It's not at though rents are climbing.  We now have twice the apartment for a lower rent than we paid ten years ago thanks to the depopulation of our very nice building by Covid.  The fact that our permission to continue living in Thailand can be revoked at any time by the government means that I would never make any investment here from which I could be alienated.  The value of apartments here is unlikely to increase much over time since there is no restriction on building.  Add to that the lack of a culture of building maintenance along with the prevalence of thirty-year leaseholds and Bangkok looks like an ideal place to rent.

As a retiree with assets in dollars and a cost of living in baht I am acutely aware that one of my biggest assets is the flexibility to relocate as conditions change, which would not be enhanced by owning property.

I live and work in Bangkok. And there is a reasonable chance that I will apply for an get residency in the forseable future.

If I would have had the money and bought a condominium 20 years ago then I wouldn't have to pay any rent anymore. And because there is a reasonable chance that I will live another 20 years or even longer that is why I think about it. And the important word here is "think". I haven't made up my mind until now.

• Like 1

Maybe a zillion years ago I heard someone say rhetorically, "How long is a piece of string?"  It's quite funny....

I need to be smart and come up with something like that.....

1.  How heavy is a rock?   

2.  How light is air?

3.  How dark is the moon?

4.  How sharp is the knife?

OK OK I'm not very smart!!!!  

2 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

How long is a piece of string.

It depends how much your piece of string costs, you can always  find a  buyer at the right price not the overpriced  rubbish thats often out there. Still  buyers if the discount is  good.

Never surprise me Some of the questions that are asked I would suggest going to a fortuneteller that has a big crystal ball why don’t you ask an expert and see what they would tell you you know somebody who buys and sells real estate in your area I’m sure they will have a great answer for you and if they would know in 10 years what the interest-rate would be and etc. etc. for these questions are getting unbelievable it’s beer time TIT

• Like 1
  • Confused 1