Bang Saen Beach reinvents itself: No smoking, no booze - better health for all

rooster59

41 minutes ago, polpott said:

Smoking has been banned for a couple of years now on Thai beaches. Good luck with finding one that officially allows it. 5000 baht fine in Pattaya.

Well unfortunately for people who think the no smoking on the beach law is great.......The beach in Pattaya  is now so big that they cant see you smoking on the beach...LOL.....No problem smoking on the beach...

Edited by redwood1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've been to Bang Saen several times and though I've never particularly noticed smoking, most tables under the mass of umbrellas, contain a bottle of Hong Thong or Blend 285 and several bottles of soda and Coke. Plus copious amounts of seafood, which they haven't banned yet.

The ban will certainly help stop drunk drivers, if it is enforced.

Edited by madmitch
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, redwood1 said:

Well unfortunately for people who think the no smoking on the beach law is great.......The beach in Pattaya  is now so big that they cant see you smoking on the beach...LOL.....No problem smoking on the beach...

There is a problem. I regularly rented a chair from one of the vendors in Jomtien. Won't let me smoke now for fear of being fined herself.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, JusticeGB said:

One less resort that I will visit. The Mayor sure is doing a good job of killing off the small amount of trade that the beach currently attracts by banning booze.

Its pretty much always been a Thai resort. Never were many foreigners there.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Now there is a complete ban on the consumption and sale of alcohol. And smoking means a 5,000 baht fine unless it's done in airport style enclosed booths. 

I seriously hate smoking with a vengeance and am very happy to see fines, but seriously, 5,000 baht ? That's like about £1,000+ based on UK versus Thai monthly wage. Lunacy, to think 3 fags and your entire monthly wage has gone, no matter how much I hate tobacco.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

5000 baht for smoking.

300 baht for not wearing a helmet on a motorbike.

That is about right.  With smoking, you kill yourself and others, without helmet mainly yourself. I agree with that spread of fines 

• Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm a non-smoker, but I can't understand why they ban smoking in open air ?

It's even stranger for alcohol - but it says "alcohol sale is banned" - does this apply only to the beach, so walking over to the nearest 7 for booze and drinking it on the beach is still ok?

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Raining here North of Pattaya.

1 hour ago, johng said:

Raining here too south of Pattaya.

I can’t wait to hear the rain report for Central Pattaya. 

Smoking has been banned on that beach for at least two years already.

Bang Saen beach would probably be the dirtiest popular beach in all of Thailand. Famous for its seafood, but I passed after seeing the sea water that the seafood comes out of. 

Green polluted water with zero visibility and an incredible amount of rubbish on the beach and in the water. It doesn’t seem to bother the Thais though, happily swimming and banana boating in it. (The street circuit racing is a good day out though with the sexy promo girls.)

Another Khunplume beach resort town. I suspect the family is rubbish blind.

15FCA12B-362B-4CE0-A89C-E14C6BF7E0E3.jpeg

601F495B-DA6C-47BA-8329-6E578ED0D0A3.jpeg

C02455BD-7C69-49E8-8943-628BC522639D.jpeg

43FA58A2-0173-4B72-BFD1-BE96A01128C0.jpeg

Edited by Natai Beach
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, polpott said:

Its pretty much always been a Thai resort. Never were many foreigners there.

Yes and dirty and disgusting with the beach littered with plastic bags and left-over meals. I doubt very much that the Thais will pay much heed to the no foam containers. The Thais learn nothing about how to take care of a beach and still just rely on the tide to clean it. It will take more than a few pronouncements to ever get me to go back there. I would want to see glowing reports (plural) off many Farangs who have been and can testify to how fantastic and clean it is. There are much better resorts than Bang Saen.

1 hour ago, tgw said:

I'm a non-smoker, but I can't understand why they ban smoking in open air ?

It's even stranger for alcohol - but it says "alcohol sale is banned" - does this apply only to the beach, so walking over to the nearest 7 for booze and drinking it on the beach is still ok?

I was there last week and brought to the beach from 7-11 no problem.  The chair vendor actually brought me some ice.

The beach and water clean plenty of food vendors around.

2 minutes ago, androokery said:

Based on the olfactory sense of a smoker, no doubt. It is insane how much cigarette smoke stinks up an area, even outside, and how slowly it dissipates. You need a pretty heavy updraft to not have a direct impact on the people around you if they are within a 5-10 metre radius.

I found this hard to believe when I was a smoker, but having regained my sense of smell it is quite obvious what sacrifices smokers demand of the people around them. 

I gave up smoking for 10 years. I call BS on this.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2