First hospital stay in Thailand was good - is this cheap or what?

Saltire

22 minutes ago, Saltire said:

Costs: CT Scan 3500 Baht, all other expenses, 2 nights, 2 doctor consultations, IV and all medications (including the backpack of meds to take home), all inclusive 1800 Baht.

Perhaps some pain killers of sorts were amongst the lollies they provided you, hence no more lower back pain ?

Lower back pain is common, you need to strengthen your core, try some planks, YouTube has some good plank video's, you can thank me later.

The 2 nights accommodation sounds a little expensive, but then again, it would cost much more in a private hospital.

You really should look at getting private cover because if you have a serious accident or have a heart attack etc etc etc it could clean your nest egg out ?

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

Do not let the low bill lull you into complacency. You did not require surgery or ICU care.

Bills in government hospitals can easily exceed 1 million baht if specialized surgeries and/or prolonged ICU car is needed.

You were also lucky hospital had CT available, more often there is a long wait and patients end up going private where cost is 4 times as much just for the CT.

Basically if you will be using only government hospitals you need to have 1 million readily available. If private, 305 million. And in both cases, a means of replenishing it or other plan for when it is gone. Or else insurance.

Thanks I have provision for 2/3 million in self insurance if my UK policy don't pay up. However I think your figure of 305 million may be a typo?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 4MyEgo said:

Perhaps some pain killers of sorts were amongst the lollies they provided you, hence no more lower back pain ?

Lower back pain is common, you need to strengthen your core, try some planks, YouTube has some good plank video's, you can thank me later.

The 2 nights accommodation sounds a little expensive, but then again, it would cost much more in a private hospital.

You really should look at getting private cover because if you have a serious accident or have a heart attack etc etc etc it could clean your nest egg out ?

Thanks

Yes I don't know what it was but for pain they put me on a small IV, but it had no effect on the pain in my head whatsoever and they just gave me paracetamol. For my home meds they have given me Diclofenac, paracetamol and an antibiotic course..

I have a good uk policy but with my preexisting conditions I suspect I am not covered for much.

Off to do some planks now

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Saltire said:

I have a good uk policy but with my preexisting conditions I suspect I am not covered for much.

Re the UK policy, just look into it a little further as some countries will cover you, but in the small print can say something like this, overseas cover is for no longer than 3-6 months and if your residency status changes e.g. more than 180 days, you are no longer covered.

I say this because I looked into this when I left Australia and up to 6 months was the max as the residency status change would nullify the policy.

12 minutes ago, Saltire said:

A little difficult at first, but will do you good in the long run. keep it up.

With regard to insurance here, you can contact AA Insurance Brokers who can shop around for you and get you something you need that suites, "up to you" ????

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Re the UK policy, just look into it a little further as some countries will cover you, but in the small print can say something like this, overseas cover is for no longer than 3-6 months and if your residency status changes e.g. more than 180 days, you are no longer covered.

With regard to insurance here, you can contact AA Insurance Brokers who can shop around for you and get you something you need that suites, "up to you" ????

I have a proper annual expat medical policy cover is 13 million Baht, but as I have diabetes and a heart condition they are unlikely to cover anything they can pin on those. I am covered worldwide and for up to 30 days if I go home to the UK or to USA even though USA is an exclusion. They cover holiday travel to anywhere.

I am in contact with AA as someone mentioned they can arrange a policy to include pre existing conditions (at a premium of course) but I am covered till July 2021 so will re-evaluate nearer the expiry date.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Saltire said:

As a 65 year old with a few pre-existing conditions I have only one real worry in Thailand and that is getting a massive hospital bill. I have good UK cover but am pretty sure if anything happens to me and I try to claim there is a good chance it will be denied on the basis of the pre-existing conditions and I will have to pay.

I was pleasantly surprised therefore when a few days ago I fell down a 3 metre embankment on the farm and hit my head hard, knocking me unconscious for about 5 minutes. A few head gashes to be stitched do it was off the nearest government hospital one hour drive away. This is a relatively small regional hospital, two hours more to the large provincial one.

I was very wary but there was in fact nothing to worry about. The place was hygienic and efficient, and thankfully pretty quiet. It was recommended I get a CT scan as I had hit my head hard and they were concerned about bleeding in the brain, so I agreed to a 2 night stay for tests and results. The first night I slept in the general ward and the second night oone of only 2 small private rooms was available so I moved. It was better than many hotel rooms I've stayed in, and was worth the extra 500 Baht. The staff were very attentive and must have taken my blood pressure at leat 20 time during my stay, as wekl as temperature, puls and a glucose level.

Costs: CT Scan 3500 Baht, all other expenses, 2 nights, 2 doctor consultations, IV and all medications (including the backpack of meds to take home), all inclusive 1800 Baht.

I am posting as I would love to know if this is typically the cost of a government hotel in a non touristy, non Bangkok area? How does it compare to your experience?

While a little reassured now I still worry that I am too far from a real hospital, a point I talk to the wife about often but now she realises the problem and we will look at moving closer to civilisatiion at some point.

PS This is weird, but I have suffered from lower back pain for a very long time but I just noticed today that the pain in my lower back has completely gone! Getting up from a low chair or bed was always a bit achy but now I am leaping up like a young man! Should have fallen on my head sooner ????

in 2012 i had CT scan....BKK Pattaya hospital.....21,500 baht i cost me.....

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

If insurance is paying - Bumrungrad is the best option. 

If my insurance is not going to pay I’ll look for better priced treatment elsewhere. 

My UK policy excludes about 8 hospitals worldwide - guess what the one in Thailand is?

Yep, Bumrungrad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Saltire said:

I have a proper annual expat medical policy cover is 13 million Baht, but as I have diabetes and a heart condition they are unlikely to cover anything they can pin on those. I am covered worldwide and for up to 30 days if I go home to the UK or to USA even though USA is an exclusion. They cover holiday travel to anywhere.

I am in contact with AA as someone mentioned they can arrange a policy to include pre existing conditions (at a premium of course) but I am covered till July 2021 so will re-evaluate nearer the expiry date.

It sounds to me like you have a travel insurance policy which also covers hospital cover ?

I went through AA Insurance Brokers who got me cover for a pre-existing heart condition, with David Shield, it cost about an extra 1,500 baht per month on top of the policy, although I do believe you have to be under 64 to get in the door, so you might be better off making earlier enquiries as opposed to waiting it out as I know a lot of insurers won't touch pre-existing conditions and dump you when you hit a certain age.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

It sounds to me like you have a travel insurance policy which also covers hospital cover ?

I went through AA Insurance Brokers who got me cover for a pre-existing heart condition, with David Shield, it cost about an extra 1,500 baht per month on top of the policy, although I do believe you have to be under 64 to get in the door, so you might be better off making earlier enquiries as opposed to waiting it out as I know a lot of insurers won't touch pre-existing conditions and dump you when you hit a certain age.

Yes I realise this, insurance is one of my least favourite but compulsory topics.

My expat policy is with HCI UK on the Emergency+ plan.

At 65 yes next year will be tricky as I am 66 in Feb.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, tinca tinca said:

in 2012 i had CT scan....BKK Pattaya hospital.....21,500 baht i cost me....

CT and MRI scan price will also be very much dependent on what is being examined.  It is not a set price in private hospitals for everything in my experience.  An example same hospital same month for us:

23,550 baht MRI whole abdomen cancer check

3,900 baht MRI brain stroke scan to rule out brain damage for vertigo

6,000 baht CT appendicitis to confirm diverticulitis 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Saltire said:

Thanks

Yes I don't know what it was but for pain they put me on a small IV, but it had no effect on the pain in my head whatsoever and they just gave me paracetamol. For my home meds they have given me Diclofenac, paracetamol and an antibiotic course..

The lower back pain may be osteoarthritis, in which case the diclofenac would probably be most effective.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Personally, I would always avoid Bumrungrad, unless money is not a consideration, at all. I might use then for a consult. But, not a procedure. They are good, but they are crazy expensive, compared to many others. 

Yep, one overnight stay for really bad food poisoning; a drip, private room and some pharmacy drugs on checkout  20K Baht

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Saltire said:

As a 65 year old with a few pre-existing conditions I have only one real worry in Thailand and that is getting a massive hospital bill. I have good UK cover but am pretty sure if anything happens to me and I try to claim there is a good chance it will be denied on the basis of the pre-existing conditions and I will have to pay.

I was pleasantly surprised therefore when a few days ago I fell down a 3 metre embankment on the farm and hit my head hard, knocking me unconscious for about 5 minutes. A few head gashes to be stitched do it was off the nearest government hospital one hour drive away. This is a relatively small regional hospital, two hours more to the large provincial one.

I was very wary but there was in fact nothing to worry about. The place was hygienic and efficient, and thankfully pretty quiet. It was recommended I get a CT scan as I had hit my head hard and they were concerned about bleeding in the brain, so I agreed to a 2 night stay for tests and results. The first night I slept in the general ward and the second night oone of only 2 small private rooms was available so I moved. It was better than many hotel rooms I've stayed in, and was worth the extra 500 Baht. The staff were very attentive and must have taken my blood pressure at leat 20 time during my stay, as wekl as temperature, puls and a glucose level.

I am posting as I would love to know if this is typically the cost of a government hotel in a non touristy, non Bangkok area? How does it compare to your experience?

While a little reassured now I still worry that I am too far from a real hospital, a point I talk to the wife about often but now she realises the problem and we will look at moving closer to civilisatiion at some point.

PS This is weird, but I have suffered from lower back pain for a very long time but I just noticed today that the pain in my lower back has completely gone! Getting up from a low chair or bed was always a bit achy but now I am leaping up like a young man! Should have fallen on my head sooner ????

For minor stays in the local hospitals the fees are similar in Buriram too. Very cheap as long you don't need a major surgery.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bunnydrops said:

I have had two operations here. One to have my gallbladder removed, 3 days in the hospital,  there wasn't a private room 21000 baht.  The nurse kept calling me "baby"????. The second, I had laser surgery for a retinal detachment, 2 days private room 24000 baht. The first at the military hospital, a step up from government. Only problem there is they still use gas to put you under-- sick as a dog when I came to. The second was a private that the government hospital sent me to because they were 3 weeks out and I needed to get it done "Now".

I had surgery for a detached retina in Bangkok Hospital in Chiang Mai,. Five days in a private room. The bill was about 280,000. I had private insurance, 81,000 deductible.  Insurance covered the rest. I was very happy with the  doctors and quality of the room.

• Like 1

Most Thai bank ATM cards include accident insurance. I recently hit my head falling off a ladder on my property. I was unconcious and taken to Bangkok Hospital (Khon Kaen). I stayed in ICU one night and the bill was about 24,000 Baht (including scans etc). However, my SCB ATM paid for 18,000 Baht and my bill on discharge was 6,000 Baht.

I then went and stayed at a government hospital for a few days observation, to save costs (I'm covered by my wife's medical insurance). I paid extra for a nice private room (500 Baht per day).

I also have private insurance (hospital), but have yet to use in Thailand.

Edited by Stevemercer
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

Most Thai bank ATM cards include accident insurance. I recently hit my head falling off a ladder on my property. I was unconcious and taken to Bangkok Hospital (Khon Kaen). I stayed in ICU one night and the bill was about 24,000 Baht (including scans etc). However, my SCB ATM paid for 18,000 Baht and my bill on discharge was 6,000 Baht.

I then went and stayed at a government hospital for a few days observation, to save costs (I'm covered by my wife's medical insurance). I paid extra for a nice private room (500 Baht per day).

I also have private insurance (hospital), but have yet to use in Thailand.

Actually they don't all, and those that do  provide it only under a certain age I think (maybe 60 or 65)

But accident insurance with medical cover of 200K can be gotten for just about 6,000 baht a year and that covers everything nto just inpatient. I have it in addition to my regular insurance. First year I had it, a cat bite got badly infected and bills ran to I think about 20K. Second year. I was hit by a motorcycle and needed prolonged hospitalization and 2 surgeries, this of course went on my main insurance but the accident policy covered the US$500 deductible. Knock on wood nothing this year but as it is, I am way ahead of the game on that policy. In fact surprised I did not have any issue getting it renewed.

If under say 60 there are accident policies with  higher medical cover -- I think up to 800K - available. 200K was the best I could find for over 65 years.

Not that accident policies have to be read carefully as the overall cover is not the medical cover and many have ridiculously small medical cover.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

Didnt know that, so my kasikorn bank atm debit card and the Krungsri atm card possibly have accident insurance cover.

Would be a delight to use Bangkok hospital Khon kaen and have the bank pick up the bill.

24k for a night in ICU with scans seems very cheap for this hospital.

13 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

But accident insurance with medical cover of 200K can be gotten for just about 6,000 baht a year and that covers everything nto just inpatient

Just to confirm thats inpatient cover only ?... and which company is that with?

Thanks