Pattaya: Tourists put off going because of fears of dangerous air quality

rooster59

Pattaya: Tourists put off going because of fears of dangerous air quality

IMG_1927.jpg

Image: INN

Thai media INN reported that the long weekend in Pattaya was much quieter than normal holidays.

They said that tourists had been put off because of reports that particulate matter was in the air and that it was dangerous to visit.

The beach area in both Pattaya and Jomtien were noticeably quieter, they said. 

Some tourists were paying respects to a monument and were admiring the view from the top of a hill, however. 

INN said large areas of Pattaya had been sweathed in a smaze that could be PM 2.5.

This meant that visitors were wearing masks to keep out the tiny particles from their lungs. 

Thaivisa notes that pictures published by the media seemed to show quite a clear day.

Source: INN

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-11-21

IMG_1926.jpg

IMG_1946.jpg

People seem to be missing the point. The Smog is just another nail in the coffin. Pattaya is closed down/dead so why would people go there.

I would have thought that going on a trip was to enjoy oneself. Things like having a dip in the Clean waters, picnic on the sand, and do a bit of shopping and dinning. Well in my estimation Pattaya doesn't have any of those. Unless things have changed in the last month.   

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

People seem to be missing the point. The Smog is just another nail in the coffin. Pattaya is closed down/dead so why would people go there.

I would have thought that going on a trip was to enjoy oneself. Things like having a dip in the Clean waters, picnic on the sand, and do a bit of shopping and dinning. Well in my estimation Pattaya doesn't have any of those. Unless things have changed in the last month.   

Rarely do we see a post reflecting such utter cluelessness. Well done.????

• Like 2

1 minute ago, champers said:

There may be less visitors from Bangkok this weekend because no political demos are planned for Bangkok till next Wednesday.

That said, Terminal 21 has a food fair on this weekend and there were big queues to get into the parking areas this lunchtime. Paris and London floors for those who are interested in stuffing their face.

Queues in the food fair area as well. Glancing in, I didn't notice any unusual foods but it seemed many Thais were finding things pleasing to their palates anyway.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Good effort, but the poster doesn't think Pattaya has any sand on which to picnic, any restos, or any place to shop. So I think it's hopeless.

I really don't know how anyone can say there is nowhere to shop in Pattaya.

Central Festival on  Beach Road also have a food promo event going on; as well as plenty of food stalls set up opposite along the prom.

Next Friday and Saturday will be busy for the fireworks shows.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Good effort, but the poster doesn't think Pattaya has any sand on which to picnic, any restos, or any place to shop. So I think it's hopeless.

Well with that and the alleged poor air quality he's probably got Pattaya mixed up with Chiang Mai.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There are no tour buses which usually take the blame so what is the reason?  Automobiles obviously contribute.

And where are farmers burning near Pattaya?

Just asking as it is inconsistent some days are clear and beautiful then the next is not.

• Like 1

Just checked AQI for Bangkok and Pattaya. Average for BKK about 15 pts higher than Pats. Rama IV is way high, fwiw

"This meant that visitors were wearing masks to keep out the tiny particles from their lungs."

Or maybe keeping masks on because of that virus thing going around... maybe don't believe gov numbers?

Reporter might have asked the tourists rather than making assumptions....

• Like 1