Paying with Paypal

Hello
next year my visa card is about to expire
I use it very little and find that I pay too much for it
I'm thinking of canceling it and putting money (in euros) on my Paypal account (for the moment, there is nothing and my account is in Thailand, so far I paid with my visa card and Paypal )
Do you think this is a good solution, it would allow me to make some purchases in Europe or somewhere else without a visa card?
thank you

28 minutes ago, Aforek said:

Hello
I'm thinking of canceling it and putting money (in euros) on my Paypal account (for the moment, there is nothing and my account is in Thailand, so far I paid with my visa card and Paypal )
Do you think this is a good solution, it would allow me to make some purchases in Europe or somewhere else without a visa card?
thank you

Maybe Transferwise is a better option. Can do direct debits, has a debit Visa card,  good valid money transfers and widely accepted for online shopping.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Aforek said:

Hello
thank you

A very poor idea, PayPal has a terrible reputation if something goes wrong. Personally I’ve never had a problem but I’ve never, and will never, had a credit balance with them.

Transferwise is an equally poor choice as the debt card is probably not available to you.

What is wrong with a Thai debit card?

• Like 1

As said, fees are high. Also, if it's a Thai PayPal account, you cannot fund it directly by bank transfer. So in order to have a Euro balance in a Thai PayPal account, you'd need to get those funds transferred via another PayPal account - more fees.

I assume when you talk about a visa card, you mean a credit card.

Credit cards are useful to have as many online services will not accept a debit card and again not all services are available with Paypal.

If you are unable to obtain a credit card that has little cost an option that may be worth considering is a prepaid credit card. Effectively as you suggested but a bit more versatile, I believe there are a wide range available and a bit of research may be necessary.

My travel credit cards are free and I get money back. No foreign transaction fees.

Not possible for you?

My cousin in the States said there PayPal will cover problem charges as a credit card does. I don't use it myself. But that doesn't stop me from getting spam emails concerning PayPal.

Funny thing, when I buy gas in the States the stations (Arco) don't accept credit cards, only debit. I guess they are afraid of customers claiming fraud.

2 hours ago, eyup said:

Set up a transferwise account .They also have a debit  card you can load up 

https://transferwise.com/invite/u/robertk160

Don’t believe this. The debit card is not available for people with a Thai account 

A5EC0265-8C35-4615-B8EF-4AFCD9AC3FBE.jpeg.481bbd76ff3b652d8b6f441dc7492574.jpeg

also eyup didn’t tell you that he gets paid  if you use that link did he?

I get some money for recommending if 3 people sign up but it's not a scam The guy can look and choose to see if he wants to set up  and  use Transferwise and he gets a free £500 quid transfer so both parties win-win. Transferwise is mainly for people sending money toThailand and not FROM Thailand But if you get an account set up overseas you can get the debit card too.

Edited by eyup
spelling

On 11/22/2020 at 4:37 PM, eyup said:

I get some money for recommending if 3 people sign up but it's not a scam The guy can look and choose to see if he wants to set up  and  use Transferwise and he gets a free £500 quid transfer so both parties win-win. Transferwise is mainly for people sending money toThailand and not FROM Thailand But if you get an account set up overseas you can get the debit card too.

You can not transfer money from Thailand. There is no way to pay Baht into TransferWise or any other currencies within Thailand and as I said and proved you can not get a debit card with a Thai TransferWise account.

It is indeed you Scamming as you chose to hide the monetary gain you could get until called out and are still not being completely open.

If you were not scamming you should have given a non referral link or made clear exactly how much you stood to gain and the benefits.

https://transferwise.com/register#/

Edited by sometimewoodworker

Sorry pal (or not pal, or not paypal?) It's not a scam to recommend someone to a service and if you go back and read the OP he has Euros. So, it is quite feasible for him to set up a Transferwise account and get the Transferwise debit card posted to him (by a relative or friend) in Thailand if he still maintains a European address. Which he can then load up with baht and not be charged. Paypal fees .His choice if he follows my recommendation link or not!

On 11/21/2020 at 7:18 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

A very poor idea, PayPal has a terrible reputation if something goes wrong. Personally I’ve never had a problem but I’ve never, and will never, had a credit balance with them.

Transferwise is an equally poor choice as the debt card is probably not available to you.

What is wrong with a Thai debit card?

ok, so I see that Paypal is a bad idea ; I have bought everything I need from outside, so now I don't need visa card anymore; for Thailand, I buy from Lazada and I pay cash; 

next years, I shall pay only subscription for VPN, Malwarebytes , such things, so I would like to avoid visa card   ; I have a debit card with SCB, is there a way to have a credit card and does it work to pay for example a VPN ? thanks 

3 hours ago, Aforek said:

next years, I shall pay only subscription for VPN, Malwarebytes , such things, so I would like to avoid visa card   ; I have a debit card with SCB, is there a way to have a credit card and does it work to pay for example a VPN ? thanks 

Two points VISA & MASTERCARD are processing organisations, you can get both credit and debit cards from your bank linked to both of them. Most Thai bank cards are VISA or MASTERCARD though some are a different organisation and others are limited to the bank or only an ATM card.

These debt cards can be enabled for online and overseas use by the bank, or not, if you prefer.

The second point is that you can have a secured credit card by having a locked deposit (usually the full credit limit) with the issuing bank. 

There are pre-deposit  cards now, where you pay into the card account before being able to use the amount you have deposited, but these may be limited to Thai citizens.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1