Jump to content

App for measuring Rai - Recommendations?


Recommended Posts

Can anybody recommend a good App that will accurately measure rai size? The Play Store seems to have a plethora of GPS measuring apps, most are full of ads and/or dont have measurement in rai. We had a walk around gadget before but seems to have walked off with someone...

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't get why you will need an app to measure a Rai. Just use your normal GPS and covert it.

 

type "X sq meters to rai" into google. Where "X" is your square meters measured on GPS or Google Earth or Google maps.

"yard2 to rai" or "hectare to rai" or "acre to rai" all convert.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gahn5 said:

Can anybody recommend a good App that will accurately measure rai size? The Play Store seems to have a plethora of GPS measuring apps, most are full of ads and/or dont have measurement in rai. We had a walk around gadget before but seems to have walked off with someone...

That's a good idea. Maybe I should make one? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IsaanAussie said:

1600 sq metres to the rai. Measure in sqm and divide?

You beat me to it ,or 40 x 40 meters ,if it is only a small area buy a 100-meter tape.and walk it your self .

If you want it for legal  reasons ,ask your local land office, they will measure it and  put in numbered  boundary markers.  

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kickstart said:

You beat me to it ,or 40 x 40 meters ,if it is only a small area buy a 100-meter tape.and walk it your self .

If you want it for legal  reasons ,ask your local land office, they will measure it and  put in numbered  boundary markers.  

There's a first, me beating you to anything KS! LOL

My long stride is almost exactly a metre, and I own a big green tape reel. 

 

There is an phone App that Thai harvester guys use. Way too smart for me! I have only just managed to use the camera function as well as the phone calls. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/21/2020 at 12:44 PM, douglasspade said:

Don't get why you will need an app to measure a Rai. Just use your normal GPS and covert it.

 

type "X sq meters to rai" into google. Where "X" is your square meters measured on GPS or Google Earth or Google maps.

"yard2 to rai" or "hectare to rai" or "acre to rai" all convert.

Thanks all.

The family is currently rice harvesting for various farmers with two Kubota DC 70's. While taking the word from them about how many rai they want cut, they're charged a fee per rai.

The difficulty this year has been sodden rais, which makes the going tough (lost 6 hours one day when one got bogged) so slow going in one patch means we lose time getting to another job and upped the fee for the difficulty factor. They'll say just three rai here, but then want another patch done, behind a tree patch, past the kra tom and next to the potatoe rais and we end up doing nearly four rai, but they'll say no, only three rai and try to short change us!

It's bad enough waiting for payment cos they hold out for the price per kilo to rise (like the wheat farmers in Oz) so this season more accuracy would be better...not to mention paying the driver and baggers per rai (less lao kao consumed) 555

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gahn5 said:

The difficulty this year has been sodden rais

Indeed. This year the harvesters came late to our area. None of our family nor us have gotten a chance to harvest. The harvester teams go for the dryer paddies and standing upright rice first to get as much land covered to make their money fast. Also they are scared that some outsiders will move in and steal the easy work, while they struggle doing less rai's with boggy land and fallen rice.

With our crazy rainfall this year in lower Isaan many land owners has started cutting by hand as some rice is already starting to drop, witch makes the measurements even more difficult when the harvester teams eventually take over.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Gahn5 said:

Thanks all.

The family is currently rice harvesting for various farmers with two Kubota DC 70's. While taking the word from them about how many rai they want cut, they're charged a fee per rai.

The difficulty this year has been sodden rais, which makes the going tough (lost 6 hours one day when one got bogged) so slow going in one patch means we lose time getting to another job and upped the fee for the difficulty factor. T

 

Gahn5

My wife has been contract harvesting for several years now and so I think I now what is charged for the job.

A word of warning on the practice of as you said "upped the fee for the difficulty factor".

About 3 seasons ago the Prayut Govt instead of paying subsidies introduced several measures to assist farmers and 1 of those was to cap harvesting cost at 600B/rai. Part of their reasoning was that fuel prices have dropped.

Anyway if you get a disgruntled customer who you have charged a "difficulty fee" that decides to make a complaint it could get messy.

 

As for measuring the area cut her operator uses an App on his phone. If anyone is not happy with that then she has a Garmin GPS that they walk around to measure. I asked if it measured in rai but only got a growl as a response (she was busy cooking for the workers) so I didn't press it any further.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/26/2020 at 9:58 PM, douglasspade said:

Indeed. This year the harvesters came late to our area. None of our family nor us have gotten a chance to harvest. The harvester teams go for the dryer paddies and standing upright rice first to get as much land covered to make their money fast. Also they are scared that some outsiders will move in and steal the easy work, while they struggle doing less rai's with boggy land and fallen rice.

With our crazy rainfall this year in lower Isaan many land owners has started cutting by hand as some rice is already starting to drop, witch makes the measurements even more difficult when the harvester teams eventually take over.

I have heard about your wet harvest in Issan, as has been said harvest costs 600 baht/rie, same as here in Lopburi ,

But I have also  heard  some contractors are charging 800 baht /rie, afraid of getting the harvester stuck in the mud and having to get a 360 back hoe in to pull it out .

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2020 at 6:38 PM, OOTAI said:

 

Gahn5

My wife has been contract harvesting for several years now and so I think I now what is charged for the job.

A word of warning on the practice of as you said "upped the fee for the difficulty factor".

About 3 seasons ago the Prayut Govt instead of paying subsidies introduced several measures to assist farmers and 1 of those was to cap harvesting cost at 600B/rai. Part of their reasoning was that fuel prices have dropped.

Anyway if you get a disgruntled customer who you have charged a "difficulty fee" that decides to make a complaint it could get messy.

 

As for measuring the area cut her operator uses an App on his phone. If anyone is not happy with that then she has a Garmin GPS that they walk around to measure. I asked if it measured in rai but only got a growl as a response (she was busy cooking for the workers) so I didn't press it any further.

With you there...

Fee here is the same. Last year it was 650 baht but some harvesters are charging as low as 500, we dropped to 600 and got more work in an area 25km away. This year, the bigger harvesters (DC 93 & 105's) have come in and charging 700 or 800. 

Luckily, we are well known and have regular customers and they are happy with the fees.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This year, Udon Thani province, normal field with standing rice and reasonably dry, 800B/rai. For rice lying down, 1000 B/rai.

 

Re. Kubota. Does anyone have experience with Kubota DC105X harvester? Good or bad? I heard talk about part and repair problems.

 

Edited by Racin
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...