Small Used Pickup For Travel Around Thailand

On 11/24/2020 at 5:43 PM, millymoopoo said:

Been around/ran garages for 25 years.!

The P5AT is used in both Mazda BT50 and Ford Ranger, I've a Ranger.
The P5AT is a 5 cylinder engine, that's the crucial difference, at any time in the rotation (cycle) any one of the five cylinders is producing power, or in other words, there is never a time when power is not being produced.

This is not the case with a 4 cylinder engine, between about 350 degrees and 10 degrees no power is produced, it the same between 170 and 190 degrees, thus it is unbalanced or 'lumpy'.
This 'lumpiness' is exacerbated by the fact diesels run on about 20 to 1 compression ratio (not the case in petrol engines)

As a 5 cylinder engine is producing constant power it is inherently smooth, thus balanced and more efficient.
Efficiency is also related to gearing, the P5AT is doing just under 2000 revs at 100kmh, whereas most 4 cylinder diesels rev around 3000 RPM at 100km.

For this reason, and it's inherent 5 cylinder efficiency (balance) makes it entirely possible a 3.2L (P5AT) Ranger could use less fuel than a Toyota Hilux 2.5L.
My friends Hilux feels like it's working hard most of the time, whereas my Ranger feels like it's on a holiday. I have long range tanks, I get1400km, my friend has them too but he only gets 1000km.!

A good way to compare the feel is to go to the Toyota dealer and ask for a test drive of the Hilux, then cross the road to the Ford dealer and ask to test drive the Ranger with the P5AT (not the 2.2L engine as it's only a 4 cylinder). You may be surprised.!

These guys carried out an interesting test. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wp1gF7DS4w

The revos are generally 500K+ for a 2018 model. They hold value very well, but I think I'd look at ford/mazda/mitsu if I was buying second hand. Manuals are cheaper and fine for long highway trips. High riders and wildtraks are more expensive. 

This is a 2018 ranger: image.png.09a9dc6aaa0c011eafe64bc75c9e0493.png

1 hour ago, PFMills said:

These guys carried out an interesting test. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wp1gF7DS4w

Manufacturers are going down a slippery slope with adding lots of boost to a small displacement engine. Goes without saying that it works a lot harder, and longevity will suffer as a result. You can not cut displacement 33% and still increase HP without a paying a price.

23 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Manufacturers are going down a slippery slope with adding lots of boost to a small displacement engine. Goes without saying that it works a lot harder, and longevity will suffer as a result. You can not cut displacement 33% and still increase HP without a paying a price.

I thought we have been down the progress path before. I remember the V8 Pilot in the UK. 

7 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Exactly right.! The comparison test was rather 'light weight', no specs, no mention of revs, the 2 litre engine is a bi turbo, instantly double the boost pressure, I'd lay dollars on the rail pressure would be higher and the ECU map would not be as conservative as the P5AT too..!

17 minutes ago, millymoopoo said:

Exactly right.! The comparison test was rather 'light weight', no specs, no mention of revs, the 2 litre engine is a bi turbo, instantly double the boost pressure, I'd lay dollars on the rail pressure would be higher and the ECU map would not be as conservative as the P5AT too..!

2.0 Bi - 157kW @ 3,750rpm and 500Nm @ 1,750-2,500rpm

3.2  -  147kW @ 3,000rpm and 470Nm @ 1,750-2,500rpm

3.2 - 45.9kw per litre.

2.2 Bi - 78kw per litre.

That little 2.0 is highly strung and to me a hand grenade waiting to pop, also of concern is is has a timing belt not a chain.

Also to get the 2.0Bi you need to buy a wildtrak or raptor... every thing gets either the 2.0 or 2.2 single turbo.

Edited by Techno Viking

• 2 weeks later...