Diesel engine oil used for manual transmission gear oil change?

Just to be clear - They've put diesel engine oil in your gearbox?

You don't say what vehicle it is but gear oils tend to be 75-90 grade which is a lot thicker than most engine oils. The diesel oil will also have all the wrong detergent additives that your gearbox doesn't need.

I would get the right oil and take the vehicle to your local "car man", he should be able to swap the oil over for a few Baht.

I would also avoid driving long distances / high speed.

Why did you replace the oil in the first place? Many (most?) modern boxes are filled "for life".

Yeah ur understanding is correct. 

Car is 2008 Honda city petrol. 

I told the bquick mechanic that I hear some noise from the transmission. 

I gotta outter town and maybe next wk is the eRliest I can change oil. 

Or is it too late? 

I changed cuz IS ort of imagined oil getting deteriorated and causing friction or something... 

A quick google suggests you need a SAE:75W-80 gear oil.

Do you know what they actually put in?

It's probably not going to do any immedate damage but I wouldn't be driving far or fast on it.

10 minutes ago, villageidiotY2K said:

I changed cuz IS ort of imagined oil getting deteriorated and causing friction or something... 

Oils do "wear out" but gearbox oil doesn't really get a hard life, what's the car's mileage? 

It probably won't do too much harm short-term, but as Crossy suggests it would be wise to drive conservatively until the correct oil can be filled.

Perhaps the bquick mechanic thought the gearbox needed a flush, the detergents in diesel oil will certainly do that.

• Like 1

Maybe just a translation issue?

I have encountered thievery from auto mechanics never major incompetence.

Even got parking tickets from when my car was joyridden while in shop for two weeks in the states.

1980s, went to traffic court the judge threw out the summons. Later found they bent the chassis. 

Animals.

Not to worry.

My K20 Chev pickup specs called for 15W40 engine oil in the transfer case

If it will stand up to a V8 pulling a trailer in 4WD it will easily stand up to a Honda car

Gear oil crossover to engine oil - for weights - attached

As mentioned previously, gear oil viscosity numbers are not directly comparable to engine oil viscosity numbers. For example, 75W-90 gear oil is about the same viscosity as 10W-40 engine oil; 80W-90 is about the same as 20W-40.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, villageidiotY2K said:

Yeah ur understanding is correct. 

Car is 2008 Honda city petrol. 

I told the bquick mechanic that I hear some noise from the transmission. 

I gotta outter town and maybe next wk is the eRliest I can change oil. 

Or is it too late? 

It will not hurt in the short term, I used auto fluid in a manual box for a racing application, it sure did whine, but on putting the right oil back in it was back to normal..

You mention the box was making a noise before oil change, did the noise get worse after the engine oil was put in, because I reckon it would......

• Like 1

A Honda car would typically call for a 75W-85 GL4 gear oil.  This has a similar viscosity to a 5W-20 engine oil. Chev and Isuzu have specified 15W40 engine oils in some of their SUV's for a long time.

Both engine and gear oils have extreme pressure additives to give about the same Timken rating. Engine oils have detergents and dispersants that are not required in gear oils. Gear oils have higher levels of anti-foaming agents.

The main difference is that gear oils have friction modifiers to make a oil a bit less slippery and hence allow the synchros to grab cleanly. Using engine oil will give less clean/smoothgearshifts.

Your car won't be damaged in the short term but change it for the correct oil when convenient.

2 hours ago, transam said:

I recall, all B.M.C (BL) front-wheel drive engines used the engine oil to lube the gears.....

mini.jpg.f30b45e26f873b003ba3af985f88134b.jpg

Duckhams 20W-50, or if you were somewhat more rich Castrol R ...loved the small of that ... those were the days

• Like 2

On 11/22/2020 at 12:31 PM, KeeTua said:

Curious how do you know they put in diesel engine oil?
Did they tell you that or did you observe it yourself?
Gear oil often comes in bulk so maybe they transferred some gear oil into empty engine oil containers.

Usually at Bquik, the bottles they've used will be kept in side your car. I saw 1L x 3 diesel engine oil... HIGH PERFORMANCE!