Cable TV in Chiang Mai....Next to Useless.

trainman34014

Been a WETV Cable user for many years but the service and channel choice has got slowly worse the last three years and now it's off air as often as it's on !      I've had enough but which is the best alternative when wanting as many English speaking channels as possible without huge monthly charges ?

• Like 1

The best is to buy a decent android box as mentioned above, this also for the reason you can then hook it up with cable Internet, which is needed when streaming UHD and 4K in many cases. You can then sign up on various things Online to load in global TV channels. I personally pay like 5 dollars for Dutch TV, all sport channels, movie channels and listed movies. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Thailand said:

Android Box

Yes, the best choice in my opinion after getting one with a SmartTV recently.

I was quite new to it all so it took me a while to figger it out.

Being able to watch YouTube on the telly was a gas.

So far no problems with 3BB out in the boons of Saraphi.

Setting us up was fast and efficient. Hoping that standard of service will continue.

The TOT service to our house in town has always been excellent.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Been a WETV Cable user for many years but the service and channel choice has got slowly worse the last three years and now it's off air as often as it's on !      I've had enough but which is the best alternative when wanting as many English speaking channels as possible without huge monthly charges ?

Sorry to hear that. I watched WETV for years, and while it was pants it was cheap.

In reality just a smart TV, smart phone, Android box and no TV service or home internet required.  Just thether your phone to the Android box which is connected to the TV. My Android box is full of apps Netflix movies, HBO, all English shows live or replay, live sports etc. all free.

Edited by bkk6060

17 hours ago, fangless said:

Like the OP I would like to find a "cable" TV or some other form of NON computer TV source.

Out of curiosity, why? You like cable tv dish antennas?

I know zip about android boxes, whatever -- but I do have a nice, fast  3BB internet connection to my house. And I have a cheap laptop that receives 3BB hooked to my TV, whereby every US broadcast I can imagine can be received by my laptop and forwarded to my TV (yeah, Amazon prime video requires a VPN, but no big deal).

Anyway, I didn't subscribe to 3BB for this -- I just wanted a fast internet connection to my Desktop PC. But, the serendipity is -- my TV gets all I want from the US. Can't imagine why a cable alternative would be better (unless, maybe, you're located in a "slow" 3BB coverage area...).

Again, just curious -- as maybe my low knowledge of tech has me missing something....

Would not know why anyone would make this more difficult than it is, the android box is the best option available for OP. Just make sure to buy a decent one as the really cheap ones are kind of doubtful. I'd say range 3-4K baht.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Thailand said:

https://www.lazada.co.th/shop-video-players/android-tv-box/

Works perfectly and less than 1,000 baht.

Until you do a bit more and it doesn't, and have to buy a new one in a year due to updates your box doesn't support.

As said, i recommend a 3-4K budget for a proper box, being sustainable longer too. I have thrown away so many cheap <deleted>ty things here that broke down after a while, annoying and wasteful.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Until you do a bit more and it doesn't, and have to buy a new one in a year due to updates your box doesn't support.

As said, i recommend a 3-4K budget for a proper box, being sustainable longer too. I have thrown away so many cheap <deleted>ty things here that broke down after a while, annoying and wasteful.

Two of the boxes I have currently have been working fine for over 4 years. Have helped friends and neighbours set up their own Android box systems with no problems.

By all means spend 3-4 K to get nothing different to what I get for around a quarter of the price.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2020 at 7:59 PM, ChaiyaTH said:

The best is to buy a decent android box as mentioned above, this also for the reason you can then hook it up with cable Internet, which is needed when streaming UHD and 4K in many cases. You can then sign up on various things Online to load in global TV channels. I personally pay like 5 dollars for Dutch TV, all sport channels, movie channels and listed movies. 

We use an AIS package, includes internet for the house for surfing etc., LINE, and a TV package all in one price, about 800Baht per month including a wide range of TV programs. So far (about 2 yrs) the signal has been fast and stable. Some have English audio option, some only Thai audio 

Many additional packages (many English only, some have English language option) are available for an additional monthly fee per package.

Whole range of prices, some as low as 99Baht per month and up, many at 299Baht and 399Baht per month. Some sports and movies, and more.  

Hi ya try the true id box you rent packages buy the month at the moment they doing the sports all the english football in english & family package with abit of everything including a couple of film channels & you can add the hbo app for 149 bhat a month for about 5 film channels & it has a great film on demand & series    Can stop any time 

• Like 1

On 11/23/2020 at 10:43 AM, Thailand said:

Two of the boxes I have currently have been working fine for over 4 years. Have helped friends and neighbours set up their own Android box systems with no problems.

By all means spend 3-4 K to get nothing different to what I get for around a quarter of the price.

I doubt that even supports 4K then, which it is all about, in terms of quality of the box and problems. For low quality streaming most boxes do fine indeed.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

Let me explain it in a simple way;

I am asking if/how someone can watch TV in the CM region by using a system that normal people would understand as NOT requiring a desktop/laptop PC or smartphone or other similar device connected to the internet.

If so what equipment is recommended?

In the old days it was called a TV and an Aerial which came over the airwaves. Now that analogue has disappeared other pieces of digital (not necessarily computer/PC) equipment(s) are required.

In plain language:  I am asking on behalf of a non computer literate friend/no computer available;  Is there a system available in the CM region to watch TV (Thai only if that is all that is available but English would be a bonus) without the use of a PC, smartphones or smartarse comments. 

I accept that Electronics, including Boxes, Aerials, Dishes, cables etc may be involved but do NOT want anything connected to the Internet or Telephone/cable systems.

I hope there is someone in the CM region with a constructive comment, either in the affirmative or negative, who can assist!

Equipment, source and price if available would be very helpful.

"....NOT requiring a desktop/laptop PC or smartphone or other similar device connected to the internet.

If so what equipment is recommended?

...do NOT want anything connected to the Internet or Telephone/cable systems."

------------------------

Desktops, laptops, smartphones  and "similar devices" are "computers," in the sense that you probably don't like. 

If you don't want anything connected to your feed, you are talking about setting up a private satellite dish with your own "decoder." 

There are shops around town that would be able to give you some advice. Bring your Thai language skills and your wallet. You know the shops by the scattering of various sized dishes in the front. 

Post your success, if you have any. 

• Like 2

I cannot speak specifically to a retailer in Chiang Mai, but a sattelite system is readily available in most places.

They supply a box and dish. The cost can vary from 500 baht up.

The downside is these type of boxes need software updates annually and can be a pain in the .......,shop around and the shops usually have various colored sat dishes outside.

They will usually have a range of boxes and will usually include install in the price ( if its local).

Once bought there are NO further payments. 

If you dont mind a monthy subscription there is of course True Visions

They have numerous packages available and free install.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2020 at 3:14 PM, bkk6060 said:

In reality just a smart TV, smart phone, Android box and no TV service or home internet required.  Just thether your phone to the Android box which is connected to the TV. My Android box is full of apps Netflix movies, HBO, all English shows live or replay, live sports etc. all free.

"...Just thether your phone to the Android box which is connected to the TV".

Can a member please explain how to do this. Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/21/2020 at 8:09 PM, fangless said:

Like the OP I would like to find a "cable" TV or some other form of NON computer TV source.

Are there any such NON computer based solutions around for the CM area please?

You Don't need a computer with a smart TV just wi-fi internet connection, you can watch Netflix if you join or know someone who will share, free; You tube, Listen to Radio, and mine has a browser also. edit I am amazed people still bother with cable repeated movies all month etc.

Edited by brianthainess

11 hours ago, CharlieH said:

I cannot speak specifically to a retailer in Chiang Mai, but a sattelite system is readily available in most places.

They supply a box and dish. The cost can vary from 500 baht up.

The downside is these type of boxes need software updates annually and can be a pain in the .......,shop around and the shops usually have various colored sat dishes outside.

They will usually have a range of boxes and will usually include install in the price ( if its local).

Once bought there are NO further payments. 

If you dont mind a monthy subscription there is of course True Visions

They have numerous packages available and free install.

What we had when we came here, still got the dishes, fixed and movable. Dynasat box box still works. Simply have not taken it out.

Been Android for some years, no problems watch all the current /past tv programmes, films etc that we want, no charge

Live sport, golf and rugby my particular favorites.

You can watch 38 channels of Thai digital TV on an old TV putting a digital box between TV and existing aerial, assuming the old TV has red, white, yellow input, or HDMI input.

https://shopee.co.th/product/237980476/7949945159

You can buy digital TV boxes in BigC etc. if you don't like online shopping.

Every house was supposed to have been given a voucher to obtain a digital TV box for free last year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/22/2020 at 10:36 AM, clokwise said:

If you want American or European channels there are countless IPTV websites with most if not all of your favorite channels, all free, even channels that usually charge a subscription. I can't post any such links here, ask google.

Of course you can't as they are illegal. Like posting your ATM card and bank account details from dark web and saying it's free to use.

• Like 1