Cable TV in Chiang Mai....Next to Useless.

trainman34014

On 11/25/2020 at 8:18 PM, fangless said:

Let me explain it in a simple way;

I am asking if/how someone can watch TV in the CM region by using a system that normal people would understand as NOT requiring a desktop/laptop PC or smartphone or other similar device connected to the internet.

If so what equipment is recommended?

In the old days it was called a TV and an Aerial which came over the airwaves. Now that analogue has disappeared other pieces of digital (not necessarily computer/PC) equipment(s) are required.

In plain language:  I am asking on behalf of a non computer literate friend/no computer available;  Is there a system available in the CM region to watch TV (Thai only if that is all that is available but English would be a bonus) without the use of a PC, smartphones or smartarse comments. 

I accept that Electronics, including Boxes, Aerials, Dishes, cables etc may be involved but do NOT want anything connected to the Internet or Telephone/cable systems.

I hope there is someone in the CM region with a constructive comment, either in the affirmative or negative, who can assist!

Equipment, source and price if available would be very helpful.

This very morning in Chiang Mai, Smart TV & aerial works just fine. If he can see Doi Suthep, your friend should be laughing.....Aerials same on Lazada; not much.

IMG_20201127_091356.jpg

IMG_20201127_091432.jpg

Edited by UncleMhee

You don't need an Android box, on my PC's browsers speed dial I have at

least 50 sites where I can watch News,Films,Series,Documentaries,just

about everything,except live sports,there are some,but can watch next

day.

Then if you want Android download  Bluestacks an Android emulator

on your PC, then you have the best of both Worlds, everything for FREE.

regards Worgeordie

2 minutes ago, fangless said:

But what do you do with "just wi-fi internet connection"?

I have TOT fiber internet to my house (or you can use a smart phone internet package and set it as a hot-spot), smart TVs automatically pick up the WI-FI connection, once you have gone into settings on the TV and put in your password you should only need to do this once. in fact i brought my tv from a local shop the delivered and set it up for me. To watch free to air TV stations aka most Thai channels i understand the smart TVs won't work with normal antenna unless you have 100% signal you can buy a cheap satellite dish and directly connect via a cable. With Netflix you do the same set the pass word thats it. If you know someone anywhere in the world that has Netflix they can give you their password if all their allowed users have not been used.

• Thanks 1

If you want something that is totally painless, doesn't require a computer or internet connection, then there is Truevision with its monthly fee.  Actually, we find the service in their local offices to be haphazard, but over the phone it's very good from their Bangkok office.  Like the OP, we're old-fashioned and Hubby enjoys playing "American male" and flipping thru the channels with the remote at random to see what's on.  

Personally, I like Netflix or Amazon Prime for watching movies, but as he points out that involves figuring out what you want to watch rather than just seeing what is on offer.  He has a point.  We've seen fun movies that I never would have selected on Netflix.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

If you want something that is totally painless, doesn't require a computer or internet connection, then there is Truevision with its monthly fee.  Actually, we find the service in their local offices to be haphazard, but over the phone it's very good from their Bangkok office.  Like the OP, we're old-fashioned and Hubby enjoys playing "American male" and flipping thru the channels with the remote at random to see what's on.  

Personally, I like Netflix or Amazon Prime for watching movies, but as he points out that involves figuring out what you want to watch rather than just seeing what is on offer.  He has a point.  We've seen fun movies that I never would have selected on Netflix.

True Vision,

Come in sucker.????

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2020 at 2:09 PM, JimGant said:

Out of curiosity, why? You like cable tv dish antennas?

I know zip about android boxes, whatever -- but I do have a nice, fast  3BB internet connection to my house. And I have a cheap laptop that receives 3BB hooked to my TV, whereby every US broadcast I can imagine can be received by my laptop and forwarded to my TV (yeah, Amazon prime video requires a VPN, but no big deal).

Anyway, I didn't subscribe to 3BB for this -- I just wanted a fast internet connection to my Desktop PC. But, the serendipity is -- my TV gets all I want from the US. Can't imagine why a cable alternative would be better (unless, maybe, you're located in a "slow" 3BB coverage area...).

Again, just curious -- as maybe my low knowledge of tech has me missing something....

Interesting I use Amazon Prime w/a VPN (maybe because I have a Firestick?)

Actually lately the VPN isn't by passing other restricted channels like before. 

On 11/25/2020 at 8:18 PM, fangless said:

Let me explain it in a simple way;

I am asking if/how someone can watch TV in the CM region by using a system that normal people would understand as NOT requiring a desktop/laptop PC or smartphone or other similar device connected to the internet.

If so what equipment is recommended?

In the old days it was called a TV and an Aerial which came over the airwaves. Now that analogue has disappeared other pieces of digital (not necessarily computer/PC) equipment(s) are required.

In plain language:  I am asking on behalf of a non computer literate friend/no computer available;  Is there a system available in the CM region to watch TV (Thai only if that is all that is available but English would be a bonus) without the use of a PC, smartphones or smartarse comments. 

I accept that Electronics, including Boxes, Aerials, Dishes, cables etc may be involved but do NOT want anything connected to the Internet or Telephone/cable systems.

I hope there is someone in the CM region with a constructive comment, either in the affirmative or negative, who can assist!

Equipment, source and price if available would be very helpful.

To be honest "normal person" who puts any effort could understand how to figure out an android box, many you just plug in if you get it already loaded. I'm old and not into computers but can load apps on my box etc with a quick search on youtube. Do you still start your car with a crank on the front? 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2