Thai Consulate LAX - Response Time

Anybody successfully got a CoE (and/or TR Visa) from the LA Consulate very recently?

I submitted my application online 9 working days ago. No response so far. Starting to get nervous. I have tickets, ASQ, evidence of funds, insurance, all as then required.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, gt162 said:

That link doesn't work for Americans except for Diplomats and International Officers only. They need to fix it.

The embassy in the states and the 3 official consulates have a different site.

They use this one. https://thaiembdc.org/onlinevisaapplication/

When applying you enter the state you are living in and the application will be sent to the embassy or the designated consulate for that state.

On 11/21/2020 at 2:52 PM, radjag said:

Anybody successfully got a CoE (and/or TR Visa) from the LA Consulate very recently?

I submitted my application online 9 working days ago. No response so far. Starting to get nervous. I have tickets, ASQ, evidence of funds, insurance, all as then required.

Have you had a response re step 1 has been passed ?

From the LA Consulate, I received an email request to "Please Upload Additional Documents" within 24 hours of filing the initial application and checking "no" on having a ticket and ASQ hotel.  I did have the ticket but not the ASQ confirmation.  Basically filed it maybe after midnight Friday PST and Consulate sent an email Saturday close to midnight, about 3 hours ago.   I had expected it would be at least late Monday, but most likely a few days to get a response, so that was a surprise.

I did use the website link on the DC Embassy that has the pull down for the State at the top.

» Online Application for Thailand Visa and Certificate of Entry (COE) (thaiembdc.org)

One other thing is it was 7 days to complete (ticket with proof of payment and ASQ Confirmation), or the application would be deleted.  So the timeframe is shorter than others have been given.

I used the ASQ group(s) on Facebook to find hotels that were promoting their places.  Many have cut their rates and the only way to know is through that group or Smart Search Tool for ASQ Thailand Hotels - Find Cheap ASQ package (wanderthai.com) which many of the hotel promoters link to,  or Alternative State Quarantine (ASQ) Hotels in Thailand | THAIest

Also, many will state their deposit and cancellation policies on the Facebook page, so you don't waste your time with one that requires 50% or all up front.

I do need to get a visa so the next step is them telling me to send the package in.

7 hours ago, Carmine6 said:

I did use the website link on the DC Embassy that has the pull down for the State at the t

» Online Application for Thailand Visa and Certificate of Entry (COE) (thaiembdc.org)

Helpful links.  Thanks.  When I got to the DC Embassy page for uploading docs it requested everything.  ASQ, flight ticket etc.  Since I don't know if my Non OA visa will be approved smoothly, I'm concerned about booking a flight ahead of time.  Many airlines have relaxed (or eliminated) change fees, so perhaps not an issue.

-Did you have your flight booked when applying?  

-What deposit did you make for your ASQ? Looks like there are options for ASQ's with minimal deposits.  Hopefully they allow date changes if necessary.

Any good sites for Semi Commercial flights other than this one? https://thaiest.com/blog/semi-commercial-flights-to-thailand-november-2020

On 11/21/2020 at 2:52 PM, radjag said:

Are you aware Thailand has been on a 3day public holiday. Embassies abroad will not be working.

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Are you aware Thailand has been on a 3day public holiday. Embassies abroad will not be working.

It was 2 holidays and a weekend.

There were not holidays at the embassies and official consulates in the US and possibley others. Check their websites.

9 hours ago, petedowning75 said:

I am in the same situation . I applied to LA thai embassy and it is 7 day  no update. I sent an email also  no response . I call them  every day the lady keeps sayig  read online and wait  because your country has lot of covid . 

I got a response for submitting return ticket also . 

11 hours ago, farangkrab said:

Helpful links.  Thanks.  When I got to the DC Embassy page for uploading docs it requested everything.  ASQ, flight ticket etc.  Since I don't know if my Non OA visa will be approved smoothly, I'm concerned about booking a flight ahead of time.  Many airlines have relaxed (or eliminated) change fees, so perhaps not an issue.

-Did you have your flight booked when applying?  

-What deposit did you make for your ASQ? Looks like there are options for ASQ's with minimal deposits.  Hopefully they allow date changes if necessary.

Any good sites for Semi Commercial flights other than this one? https://thaiest.com/blog/semi-commercial-flights-to-thailand-november-2020

I booked EVA airways since the cancellation/change fee is $100, or $50 if you go with the slightly higher economy seat.  I normally get their upgraded economy seat since I don't like to be crowded.  But that's not so likely now.

There's a link from the Embassy website to a spreadsheet in Google drive that has many more flights and airlines:

list of semi-com flight - Google Sheets

Best to download so you can work with it as most flights are 2 stops the wrong way around the world. EVA lets you check online as do some others, but many don't show any flights online.

My ASQ deposit was 4,500 at Siam Mandarina, out of a 39,000 total cost.  Though I just realized I didn't ask when the balance is due.  Date changes 3 times for free.  1,000 baht per change after that.  Cancellation with full refund of deposit is allowed in the case of CoE rejection / flight cancellation / Covid-19 positive detection. Guests will need to show proof of such events to receive the full refunds.

Many of the other hotels on the Facebook group have 5,000 deposits and unlimited changes to schedule.

I was holding the return half of an EVA Business ticket SEA/TPE/BKK. I was very pleased that EVA honored the ticket and sent me confirmation emails quickly.

I booked an LSQ in Pattaya, very fast and professional response, no deposit required till my COE is approved.

I got insurance online.

At the time of my application online to the Washington DC Thai embassy site existing Retirement Extensions were not mentioned, so I assumed that I would have to take a TR visa and sort out my Retirement Extension once I got to home in Pattaya. 

I got an email confirming that my application had been automatically transferred to the LAX Consulate and would get a call or email within 7 to 15 working days.

A few days later this forum reported that  Retirement Extensions were deemed OK, so I sent an email to the LAX consulate seeking clarification and attaching photos of my passport details and visa stamp pages.

I have heard nothing more, getting nervous!

I applied recently for COE, through the Washington DC website.  Although the los angeles website says they have an online COE app,  all I found were pages that eventually led to the Washington site.    Have to hope that my application is sent on to the L.A. embassy.  

Americans have to book, and pay for flight and usually pay for ASQ hotel before we apply.  The application includes a request for a 2 inch by 2 inch photo , jpeg format,  600 by 600 pixals.  unfortunately 600x600 is about the size of a casset case.   2"x2" passport size photo is about 318x318.  Have to hope embassy will accept the photo upload as is.   If someone here solved this problem, please let me know.

After submitting the application, I noticed that there are 2 pages missing from one of the uploaded documents.  The embassy website instructs "do not file again".   Errors should be corrected through the EDIT link.   I would like to repair my application,  but can not find the link.

If someone else here has discovered or been supplied with the EDIT link, please let me know.

2 hours ago, outbidyou said:

If someone else here has discovered or been supplied with the EDIT link, please let me know.

I found this on the FAQ page. https://thaiembdc.org/2020/07/23/faq-for-non-thais-wishing-to-enter-thailand-during-the-covid-19-pandemic/

"9) If I fail to submit some documents online or would like to add some documents for additional consideration, what can I do?

• The applicant must first contact the Embassy or Consulates-General through emails (as below) to retrieve his/her personal link to upload additional documents."

The mail address to contact are after the above.

Would be interesting to see what the entire time frame is for you folks using the Consulate in Los Angeles from beginning to end and how long it took once you and here in Bangkok.  I need to schedule a trip back to the US, have a Retirement Extension and will obtain a re-entry permit before I leave.  I hope that the total time is just under 4 weeks from start to finish then add in the 2 weeks of quarantine here.  Would be nice if the process could be started from over here in Bangkok before I needed to fly out.  Wishing you all good luck on returning.

Pre-Covid there was a business near the LA Consulate which could rush a Visa thru.

I used them successfully a year ago to get my SETV expressed to me within 1 day after receiving my documents.

It was about $150 USD including overnight shipping to me.

If this will help anyone pm me and I will search for the info.

On 11/22/2020 at 10:25 AM, farangkrab said:

Careful using that useful link above; Smart Search Tool for ASQ Thailand Hotels - Find Cheap ASQ package (wanderthai.com)

A featured promotion at the top allows no changes and gives no refunds; Bandara Suites Silom would be our choice otherwise. But this whole process has too many sticking points, so free changes or cancellations is a must.

We'll wait an extra month or two to make sure my retirement deposits are going into the correct accounts, and to see what might change in this process.

I worry about applying too early and my 90 day type O-visa (married to a Thai) runs out due to some delay before I can get a 1-Year Extension of Stay.

49 minutes ago, at15 said:

I booked my flight from USA to Bangkok on Delta Air website. The connection is in South Korea. Is this fine or are there only certain flights you can use when applying for tourist visa?

I just got off the phone with Korean Air, as I'm trying to sort a flight myself.  Their semi-commercial flights are once a week for Nov/Dec.  If you booked after that there's a chance the flight may get canceled/rescheduled depending on current climate.  They're hopeful to resume daily flights in Jan but its anyone guess.

I am going to book a flight with them mid Jan and hope for the best.  I don't remember the process of what you need to do to update the COE if you have a flight change.  Good times..

5 hours ago, farangkrab said:

If I get the Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-A” here in the US, will I be able to extend it yearly in BKK?  I'm about to submit the docs as soon as I confirm my flight and ASQ.

You can obtain a 12 month extension based on retirement if over 50 years old. That would have a medical insurance obligation and need to show a bank deposit of 800k baht or income of 65,000 baht each month from outside Thailand. If married to a Thai a 12 month marriage extension is possible with 400k baht on deposit or 40k income.

If the restrictions due to Covid ease you could get a second year by simply leaving and re-entering Thailand just before the O-A Visa expires. 

5 hours ago, farangkrab said:

If I get the Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-A” here in the US, will I be able to extend it yearly in BKK?  I'm about to submit the docs as soon as I confirm my flight and ASQ.

Your O-A Retirement visa will be good for a year upon arrival in Bangkok.  After the year you can extend it year on year with either having a 800k deposit in a bank here at least prior to your application for 2 months.  Then after that it just needs to be topped up back to 800K i believe it is now only 2 months before you apply the next time.  You can also do the income method of 65k per month transferred from abroad, but you need to ensure it shows up as an FTT on your local bank statement. Don't forget about the mandatory Health Insurance you must buy from a Thailand Insurance Company.  Good luck.

I see that Jacko45k beat me to a response just before this posted.

On 11/24/2020 at 2:25 PM, outbidyou said:

I applied recently for COE, through the Washington DC website.  Although the los angeles website says they have an online COE app,  all I found were pages that eventually led to the Washington site.    Have to hope that my application is sent on to the L.A. embassy.  

Americans have to book, and pay for flight and usually pay for ASQ hotel before we apply.  The application includes a request for a 2 inch by 2 inch photo , jpeg format,  600 by 600 pixals.  unfortunately 600x600 is about the size of a casset case.   2"x2" passport size photo is about 318x318.  Have to hope embassy will accept the photo upload as is.   If someone here solved this problem, please let me know.

After submitting the application, I noticed that there are 2 pages missing from one of the uploaded documents.  The embassy website instructs "do not file again".   Errors should be corrected through the EDIT link.   I would like to repair my application,  but can not find the link.

For the photo, the US State Dept has a photo cropping tool on their website.  It only works in Internet Explorer and is a shockwave flash tool so will no longer work at the end of December.  It says it works in Edge browser, but I could not get it to work.

It has the passport photo overlay so you can zoom to make a compliant photo.  And makes it a 2 inch by 2 inch photo with a very small file size.  Well under the file size the Thai Embassy website requests.  

Click to the right where it says: "Crop your photo to the right size using our Photo tool". 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/how-apply/photos.html

When I had to enter info, I was sent a link that pulled my application up again.  It starts with "https://www.cognitoforms.com/RoyalThaiEmbassy1/OnlineApplication#En"  But then has 42 alpha, numeric, and symbol characters that probably are to my specific application.  It looks like a randomly generated password so there would be no way to guess what someone else's application number is.  The En might even be part of mine, but I figured that meant english.

48 minutes ago, farangkrab said:

I just got off the phone with Korean Air, as I'm trying to sort a flight myself.  Their semi-commercial flights are once a week for Nov/Dec.  If you booked after that there's a chance the flight may get canceled/rescheduled depending on current climate.  They're hopeful to resume daily flights in Jan but its anyone guess.

I am going to book a flight with them mid Jan and hope for the best.  I don't remember the process of what you need to do to update the COE if you have a flight change.  Good times..

Delta Airlines is also a codeshare flight for Korean Air, as Delta is a member of Skypass as well as an investor in Korean Air.

Archived