Thai Consulate LAX - Response Time

Hello. I'm just starting to do my due diligence in regards to flying into Thailand via TR visa from LAX.

I have a few questions but one that just struck me (from a 3rd party Visa Agency on FB) was about showing a "No Objection Letter from Employer?" which is a letter from Employer saying I can travel for x amount of days to Thailand?

I've yet to see this anywhere on ThaiVisa or other places except one place.

I'm thinking that its not true and that we merely put down our Employer/Position on the application in that regards.

Right now I'm in between jobs so it got me a bit concerned (though I have yet to see thisnissue anywhere at all)

Thanks

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, JohnG1010 said:

I have a few questions but one that just struck me (from a 3rd party Visa Agency on FB) was about showing a "No Objection Letter from Employer?" which is a letter from Employer saying I can travel for x amount of days to Thailand?

That is only required for those that are not US citizens.

"For non-US citizens
– a copy of the permanent resident alien card or a copy of valid US visa
–  a letter proof of employment ( **we don’t accept pay stubs**) or a letter proof of full-time student status. For self-employed, business license or business registration indicating the applicant’s name."

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

That is only required for those that are not US citizens.

"For non-US citizens
– a copy of the permanent resident alien card or a copy of valid US visa
–  a letter proof of employment ( **we don’t accept pay stubs**) or a letter proof of full-time student status. For self-employed, business license or business registration indicating the applicant’s name."

Awesome. Thx again ???? 

I did an online application for TR visa on evening of Nov 10, with an automated email confirmation that the LA Consulate has received my application. Flight is scheduled for evening of Dec 4th, which allows 15 business days for visa application. 10 business days have passed and they have not yet requested I mail in my passport. Although not impossible, it seems unlikely I will make my flight.

I am now considering booking a later flight. Easier to change plans sooner rather than later. Any thoughts on how much more time I should give them? Thinking about 2 more weeks.

3 hours ago, SpaceDave2001 said:

I did an online application for TR visa on evening of Nov 10, with an automated email confirmation that the LA Consulate has received my application.

The only online application you do is for the certificate of entry. You have to send your passport by mail along with the fee and application form plus the supporting document for it.

Info for the visa application is here. https://thaiconsulatela.org/en/tourist-visa/

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

The only online application you do is for the certificate of entry. You have to send your passport by mail along with the fee and application form plus the supporting document for it.

Info for the visa application is here. https://thaiconsulatela.org/en/tourist-visa/

This webpage was update on Nov 18th and appears to be the most up-to-date information:

https://thaiembdc.org/2020/11/05/trsingle_entry/

Visa and Certificate of Entry procedures for Non-Thai nationals wishing to enter Thailand for tourism purposes

1. At least 15 working days before the intended date of travel, the applicant must fill in the information and upload all required documents online here

Do you believe this webpage is incorrect? I sent an email last week to the la consulate to see how things were progressing and they only said: "It is already indicated that 15 days process" . Although pleasantly surprised to get an email response , it didn't give much insight into how my application was progressing. I'm hoping they are just a bit busy right now.

41 minutes ago, SpaceDave2001 said:

Do you believe this webpage is incorrect?

No

But number 2 on that page states this.

"2. The Royal Thai Embassy / Consulates-General will review the application. If the applicant requires a visa, the visa officer will inform the applicant to submit the following documents through mail to the Royal Thai Embassy (ATTN: Visa Section) or Royal Thai Consulate-General in Los Angeles, Chicago, or New York:"

Apparently their might be something wrong with you COE application.

About the same as 2 on the consulate webpage.

"2. Procedures for obtaining a VISA

Once received an online registration from the applicant, the Royal Thai Consulate-General, Los Angeles will review the application. If the application does not have a valid visa or re-entry permit, the applicant must submit the visa application and required documents by mail (only) to the Royal Thai Consulate-General in Los Angeles to request the issuance of an appropriate visa with the following documents: "

The automated email sent to me upon sending my application says:

"Thank your for submitting online application (visa application and declaration form). The application will be directed to the Royal Thai Consulate-General, Los Angeles for reviewing.

Within 7-15 working days, you will receive a notice by email or phone call describing how to proceed with your case."

That is consistent with #2 on the embassy website. However, if they really take 15 days to complete step number 1 my visa won't be ready in 15 days. I was hoping for about a week for step 1, about a week to process the documents, and maybe an extra week if they were busy.

If the la consulate website is correct, then I should have mailed my documents in already. I'm not sure how to proceed.

Anyway, thanks for pointing that out.

I talked to LA consulate on the phone this morning and confirmed what ubonjoe said.

1) I asked if should wait for them to review my online application before sending in the documents and they replied "you do not have to wait to send documents".

2) I also asked if will take the full 15 days to do visa application and they said the time depends on the quality of the documents.

3) I then asked how to edit my online visa application and they said I should send an email and request a link to edit my application.

4 hours ago, SpaceDave2001 said:

snip...

1) I asked if should wait for them to review my online application before sending in the documents and they replied "you do not have to wait to send documents".

snip

Wow, that is annoying.  The DC website said the officer would notify to apply via mail, so I've have the package ready to go for a week.

13 hours ago, SpaceDave2001 said:

asked how to edit my online visa application and they said I should send an email and request a link to edit my application

Sent out the email at just after 9am, no response at the close of business, but to my surprise a got a response at 7pm. I already updated my flight to depart on 12/25 and updated ASQ earlier today since the visa wasn't likely to be done in time for the 12/4 flight I had originally booked.

When I edit my online application, under the question "Do you have a valid Thai visa or Re-entry permit?" I clicked "no", but then get a warning message "Your visa is approved. Please select 'Yes' and update your information". I don't have a visa yet. I have never sent in my passport and documents. Hmmm.

I click 'yes' as there is no other way to go forward. At the end they require you to upload a photo of your visa, which I can't do. The email warns "If the application is not completed within 7 days, it will be deleted automatically from the database". So I plan to mail my passport and documents tomorrow, and if lucky get it back within 7 days so I can complete the online application before it gets deleted and I have to start again. Hopefully the COE will go quickly at that point.

A few issues, but I think I am making progress now.

Good information here. Hopefully you will get your issue resolved ASAP SpaceDave.

I have a question for others here (mainly with LA consulate)

What is the best/most efficient way to start the process. My friend asked in another FB group and there may be some small differences dependant on region?

From a person who used LA, he said it was best to book flight/ASQ hotel first and THEN start Tourist Visa and COE process at the same time.

I want to fly around the 19-22nd but now I'm worried if its too quick based on the "15 day business days" which is about 20 days when including weekends.

For sure I will use expedited mail.

Hoping for input. Thanks all ???? 

Latest update. Thai Consulate LA should have received my passport and documents in the mail this morning. Late afternoon I received another email requesting "Please Upload additional document(s)". I'm a little concerned they won't process my visa without updating the online application. I can't update the online application without my visa, so I decided to update everything and instead of uploading a picture of my visa, just upload a picture of a message on a sheet of paper saying my passport is at the consulate. Seems like it is better to upload what I have than to wait.

16 hours ago, JohnG1010 said:

Good information here. Hopefully you will get your issue resolved ASAP SpaceDave.

I have a question for others here (mainly with LA consulate)

What is the best/most efficient way to start the process. My friend asked in another FB group and there may be some small differences dependant on region?

From a person who used LA, he said it was best to book flight/ASQ hotel first and THEN start Tourist Visa and COE process at the same time.

I want to fly around the 19-22nd but now I'm worried if its too quick based on the "15 day business days" which is about 20 days when including weekends.

For sure I will use expedited mail.

Hoping for input. Thanks all ???? 

It is probably best to book first.  Basically it is all done in parallel since the tourist visa mailed in application requires a confirmed flight and ASQ reservation and proof of covid insurance coverage.

» Visa and Certificate of Entry procedures for Non-Thai nationals wishing to enter Thailand for Tourism purposes (thaiembdc.org)

For the COE online application, you have to enter just about all the info including a 2x2 passport photo, other than the confirmed flight with "proof of purchase" and ASQ info.  After that, they will send an email saying to enter that info within 7 days or the application will be cancelled.  So that is the only timing difference if someone wanted to start the COE application first.  But you need both of those to send with the tourist visa application, so are probably better off getting it first and entering at the time of COE application.

Based on SpaceDave's post, ignore "If the applicant requires a visa, the visa officer will inform the applicant to submit".  Submit the application without them asking.  I wasted a week waiting for them to inform me to apply.  

8 minutes ago, SpaceDave2001 said:

Latest update. Thai Consulate LA should have received my passport and documents in the mail this morning. Late afternoon I received another email requesting "Please Upload additional document(s)". I'm a little concerned they won't process my visa without updating the online application. I can't update the online application without my visa, so I decided to update everything and instead of uploading a picture of my visa, just upload a picture of a message on a sheet of paper saying my passport is at the consulate. Seems like it is better to upload what I have than to wait.

Are they still trying to meet your original departure date of the 4th?  Seems like that's why they might prompt you to enter info for the COE.  If they entered the visa in the passport, approved your COE, and sent the passport tomorrow, with 1 day delivery, you could theoretically have made the flight. 

I don't think they would hold the visa application since it is separate from the COE.  The flag about you having a visa implies it was approved based on what you submitted and they were just waiting for the passport in the mail.

I sent the passport on Tues. It is theoretically possible I could get it back on Fri in time for the original flight on Fri night, but I don't think that is likely. If I found out on Friday that my passport wasn't ready I would loose my ASQ deposit and it was a substantial amount.

1 hour ago, Carmine6 said:

The flag about you having a visa implies it was approved based on what you submitted and they were just waiting for the passport in the mail.

I agree. Too bad I didn't know that until too late.

Success.  I received the COE today via email about 7:30 PM California time so they do appear to be working extra hours.  Email subject was "Step 3/3: Certificate of Entry for (LA)."  The date I uploaded the ASQ confirmation and Flight Confirmation and receipt was November 22.  So it took 10 calendar days.  Thanksgiving and the Friday after were holidays for the Consulate, so it was 6 business days, though they appear to work at least Saturday as well since my first email came close to midnight on Saturday the 21st.

My passport/visa application package arrived at the Consulate yesterday morning which may or may not have had something to do with it finalizing.

Things that may have helped speed my application through:

1. It did not overlap the 500k for 6 months requirement, so it was all under the new financial requirement.
  2. I bought the covid insurance from the Thai providers so no one had to read through some insurance company letter and/or insurance policy and try to verify it met the requirement.
  3. My information was complete the first time and not hand written.  I used a pdf editor to create text boxes and typed almost all of the information onto the visa application form and the Declaration Form.  I'm not sure if they have American employees, but reading typed information is a lot easier either way.
  4.  I sent a bank statement that had a 6 figure dollar balance.  

For those who have pending or future business with the LA Thai Consulate be ready for a possible slowdown or even a shutdown.  The consulate is located in the city of Los Angeles and it’s less than esteemed mayor, Eric Garcetti, recently said this:  My message couldn’t be simpler. It’s time to hunker down. It’s time to cancel everything.’

The only exceptions would be any business or organization that has been classified as an “essential” business.  I do not know if the Thai Consulate could be classified as an essential business  and employees could be prevented from going to work.  I grew in Souther California but never actually lived in the city of LA(I am grateful for this).  I would plan accordingly and a tight deadline would not be good idea if you are dealing with the LA Consulate.  

Much thanks for the responses everyone.

And yes I heard about LA having to hunker down and hoping it does not include Thai Embassy workers in LA. I understand govt workers and social service workers will still work so hoping Thai Embassy workers are included.

My next question for those with experience on COE/VISA process:

I have booked flight/hotel/and health insurance.

Would it be ok on this Friday evening to register/open COE prior to mailing out my Visa application tomorrow or Monday?

Sorry if this sounds too simple but just wanted to be sure I'm doing the best/efficient method.

I'm hearing its best to start COE first...then CONTACT via phone to the consulate the following day to send out the visa application.

Thx again

1 hour ago, JohnG1010 said:

Much thanks for the responses everyone.

And yes I heard about LA having to hunker down and hoping it does not include Thai Embassy workers in LA. I understand govt workers and social service workers will still work so hoping Thai Embassy workers are included.

My next question for those with experience on COE/VISA process:

I have booked flight/hotel/and health insurance.

Would it be ok on this Friday evening to register/open COE prior to mailing out my Visa application tomorrow or Monday?

Sorry if this sounds too simple but just wanted to be sure I'm doing the best/efficient method.

I'm hearing its best to start COE first...then CONTACT via phone to the consulate the following day to send out the visa application.

Thx again

Yes, do the electronic now because they will start processing with all that info first.  Probably won't speed or slow anything if you mail Sat or Mon. It will probably take the same either way.

Good luck

On 12/5/2020 at 1:17 AM, Carmine6 said:

Yes, do the electronic now because they will start processing with all that info first.  Probably won't speed or slow anything if you mail Sat or Mon. It will probably take the same either way.

Thx Carmine.  And good stuff SpaceDave.

The question I asked my contact at the Consulate Generals office in Los Angeles was whether the process could be started from over here in Thailand so that a short trip back to the US could be completed for personal reasons and that way I would have everything completed except the Covid test 72 hours prior to a return here and I could book a roundtrip ticket with my airline from here with using a return date change possible if something would occur that would keep me from having the COE to fly back.  If it could be started 2 weeks before leaving Thailand and then after spending two weeks in the US before returning here to two weeks of quarantine would be optimal.  Still waiting on his reply. 

Facebook "randomly" advertised this clinic to me.  If anyone in California or Arizona, needs a last minute test, they offer an expensive 2 hour turn around on a RT-PCR test.  $475.  Their regular time frame is 2 to 5 days, so they're not a good option unless someone has no choice.  Such as if a lab's promised turn around time fails and you're facing having to cancel the trip.

Covid Clinic Inc. - Drive-Thru COVID Testing Clinic

It is RT-PCR which is what is specified by the Thai embassy.  There are information sheets on the two different RT-PCR tests they might use.  I do not know specifically if these qualify but unless there is more detailed criteria, it appears to.

If I get to night before flight/morning of and my test from my lab hasn't come through, I might actually do this since I priced out flights the week after and the price is higher, on top of a $100 change fee.  And I'd still have to pay for a different 72 hour test the following week.  Good to have the option, but I'm going to banish the bad thoughts now.

On 12/5/2020 at 1:17 AM, Carmine6 said:

Good luck

Due to some some personal things, I just now did the COE. Its evening now in the US so they haven't started yet, just to confirm (as you stated), I can go ahead and submit my paperwork to the L.A. Thai Consulate tomorrow morning instead of waiting to hear from them via email?

I will submit my paperwork and give them a call tomorrow as well. I think this happened to another person here and on the FB group where one of the Thai Consulate members said to why were they waiting for email and to just submit paperwork.

I see no harm mailing my stuff ASAP when my flight is 17 days away.

Carmine you have been a huge help (and same to others here) and somehow wish I can pay back the respect. ???? thx

(I know some of the stuff is basic but I'm just a bit paranoid with getting everything right at the most efficiency)

3 hours ago, JohnG1010 said:

Snip

...one of the Thai Consulate members said to why were they waiting for email and to just submit paperwork...

Glad to help. All I did was read what the website says and what others had said about the process.  I just happened to get here shortly after it was rolling out.

What the Consulate doesn't know is the DC Embassy website says the officer will notify to send the application in to the appropriate location. So you may want to tell them that in that FB group so they know.  That's why people were waiting.

The LA Consulate website says to mail it in.

Just got the email a minute ago.

Will send application/documents in the coming morning.

COE went smooth and hoping getting the TR Visa as well on time.

I've yet to here they've deny anyone on the TR Visa ..just at times taking a bit longer which usually has more to do with editing/correctly uploading files on COE)

I'm doing everything a bit last minute (flight on Xmas) but hope all goes well.

Archived