International bandwidth problem 3BB

LivinLOS

Posting from an ASQ hotel.. First few days from arrival net was blazing fast.. 190 plus Mbit domestic and 174 tested to west coast usa.. All my streaming apps running great, IPTV in full HD, 4k movies and all good. 

From Thursday morning domestic bandwidth has been ranging from 30 to 100, still acceptable, but international bandwidth is 0.5 Mbit to US, London, Amsterdam etc etc.. Just totally useless !!! Every once in a while I will get 10 mins where it goes full speed to somewhere eg amsterdam but by the time I set up a VPN to there, its gone again. 

No international streaming media is a headache while on lock down. 

Clearly this is an upstream 3BB thing but has any other 3BB users noticed this, is there some general international outage ?? 

Hotel reception totally out of thier depth, the hotel IT guy came 'wifi ? wifi ??' no this isnt a problem with wifi.. He saw the speed tests and ran away, never to return.

25 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Clearly this is an upstream 3BB thing but has any other 3BB users noticed this, is there some general international outage ?? 

Network congestion and packet loss resends from collision or interference can happen anywhere along the signal path.

If you're experiencing local speed variance then it could even be local WiFi interference or signal disruption.  You might try finding where in the suite you have the greatest signal then repeating your speed tests. 

If it's somewhere in the local infrastructure then it will affect all your remote connections.

In this instance I'd be relying on Torrenting media and playing it back later, rather relying on speed-debilitated streaming.

Chok Dee! (Thai)

Qapla'!  (Klingon)

Break a leg!  

Knock ‘em dead!  (apparently, American English)

• Like 2

Thats not the issue.. 

Domestic bandwidth in Thailand is high. Just tested 120 Mbit down 160 up.. Test to outside of Thailand.. 0.5 down and 50 up. its 200 times slower to a server outside Thailand than inside. 

Theres a bottleneck in the upstream connection to outside of Thailand. Not local network congestion or the wifi signal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LivinLOS said:

From Thursday morning domestic bandwidth has been ranging from 30 to 100

17 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Thats not the issue.. 
Domestic bandwidth in Thailand is high.

These two statement don't match. A 70 point domestic delta is not my idea stable. 

Very frustrating.

3BB have a service hotline number. I've always had good service, but they may not be interested in international probs. Worth a phone call.

The other thing you could do is inform your VPN provider. Mine is also helpful with any probs.

Lastly you could try using Windows machine and not Android to connect to your VPN. I was having trouble with my Android server connection, then switched to Windows servers and now OK.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, carlyai said:

Worth a phone call.

The other thing you could do is inform your VPN provider.

Um, he's in tourist prison for 2 weeks, being trusted with hotel WiFi for his good behavior.  Though, that might be taken away once they discover he's smuggled in wine, women, and song.

So his 'provider' is the hotel.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

is there some general international outage ?? 

I don't think so. It would have made news/complaints here.

Just did an arbitrary speedtest.net to Los Angeles:

Ping 229
Download 434.47
Upload 92.11

Nothing I would complain about.

• Thanks 1

There is no vpn involved. Tho I have tried to use it while there was briefly higher international speeds to some locations. I tried to route via the country which tested well, but it really only lasted minutes before being back to useless. 

Here are 2 tests done right now. One a local domestic Thai speed test. One to Los Angeles West coast USA. 

Clearly there is an international bandwidth issue. This isn't my WiFi, my pc, etc. This is upstream at the provider international gateway kind of level. 

USA server

Screenshot_20201121-193848693.jpg

Thai server

Screenshot_20201121-193739077.jpg

Edited by LivinLOS

6 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Ping 229
Download 434.47
Upload 92.11

Thanks that's solid info. Your on 3bb ?? 

And yes part of why I ask posting here is precisely to see if there is a wider issue with international gateway, or even 3bb, or just this hotels 3bb.

Obviously 3bb are not going to discuss the hotels account with me. 

1 hour ago, carlyai said:

Very frustrating.

3BB have a service hotline number. I've always had good service, but they may not be interested in international probs. Worth a phone call.

The other thing you could do is inform your VPN provider. Mine is also helpful with any probs.

Lastly you could try using Windows machine and not Android to connect to your VPN. I was having trouble with my Android server connection, then switched to Windows servers and now OK.

Speed testing is the same consistent result with pc, phone, tablet, and TV box. 

Thanks

3 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Posting from an ASQ hotel.. First few days from arrival net was blazing fast.. 190 plus Mbit domestic and 174 tested to west coast usa.. All my streaming apps running great, IPTV in full HD, 4k movies and all good. 

From Thursday morning domestic bandwidth has been ranging from 30 to 100, still acceptable, but international bandwidth is 0.5 Mbit to US, London, Amsterdam etc etc.. Just totally useless !!! Every once in a while I will get 10 mins where it goes full speed to somewhere eg amsterdam but by the time I set up a VPN to there, its gone again. 

Hotel reception totally out of thier depth, the hotel IT guy came 'wifi ? wifi ??' no this isnt a problem with wifi.. He saw the speed tests and ran away, never to return.

good luck and keep us updated...

yes, most think max bars wifi on their phone means full speed bandwidth lol .....

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

You might find that setting up a VPN on linode Singapore does the trick for you.

I would imagine that a quarantine hotel is full of bored people with nothing else to do apart form watch Netflix which may be maxxing out their connection at times.

The domestic which netflix is in is fine.. the 150 Mbit domestic speeds shows its not the hotels own uplink. Its something about the international gateway connection for this hotel / package / 3bb.. What I have no clue.

Singapore very slightly less woeful than usa, but still not useable for what I need. Compared to the 150 Mbit of domestic. 

10458831999.png

15 hours ago, RichCor said:

Um, he's in tourist prison for 2 weeks, being trusted with hotel WiFi for his good behavior.  Though, that might be taken away once they discover he's smuggled in wine, women, and song.

But the problem is he can't get the 'song' internet no good. ????

Um  internet hotel   got it.

13 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

The domestic which netflix is in is fine.. the 150 Mbit domestic speeds shows its not the hotels own uplink. Its something about the international gateway connection for this hotel / package / 3bb.. What I have no clue.

Singapore very slightly less woeful than usa, but still not useable for what I need. Compared to the 150 Mbit of domestic. 

10458831999.png

Netflix is not domestic, it is in Singapore

34 minutes ago, phetphet said:

You say the problem started on Thursday. Bearing in mind that that was the start of the long weekend holiday, could it possibly be lots of people with time on their hands surfing the  net?

Only a  thought.

No as the domestic link is solid and the international hasnt so much slowed down with congestion its gone from 174 Mbit to 0.5 Mbit.. Day or night or 4am...  

20 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

He ran off because he knows that it isnt about wifi..  even if you plug into the LAN it will be the same,,,,  his technical outcry of the words WIFI is just the use of that buzword everyone uses and he wanted to comunicate with you..

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, RichCor said:

Network congestion and packet loss resends from collision or interference can happen anywhere along the signal path.

If you're experiencing local speed variance then it could even be local WiFi interference or signal disruption.  You might try finding where in the suite you have the greatest signal then repeating your speed tests. 

If it's somewhere in the local infrastructure then it will affect all your remote connections.

In this instance I'd be relying on Torrenting media and playing it back later, rather relying on speed-debilitated streaming.

Chok Dee! (Thai)

Qapla'!  (Klingon)

Break a leg!  

Knock ‘em dead!  (apparently, American English)

Dont mess about playing with wifi .. just plug it in to the LAN and if thats not  correct then the WIFI will never be ..... you will be running around and not getting anywhere...

19 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Thats not the issue.. 

Domestic bandwidth in Thailand is high. Just tested 120 Mbit down 160 up.. Test to outside of Thailand.. 0.5 down and 50 up. its 200 times slower to a server outside Thailand than inside. 

Theres a bottleneck in the upstream connection to outside of Thailand. Not local network congestion or the wifi signal. 

Indeed: In TH ok, outside slow.. there, FOUR words.................  always been like this.. its just the users playing around that think its ok that say it is.... even the techs laugh about it and say you are lucky to get 3 MBPS ..  when Falang upgrade to the 1000bbps plans.... why people talk/test inside TH.. most servers you will want to connect to are outside TH ....

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, carlyai said:

Very frustrating.

Why even think about WIFI and VPN if your basic connection has no bandwidth.....  thats like saying the house leaks because it was painted with the wrong color.. as for Win vs And .. anyone serious about fault finding would try various devices/platforms already .....

18 hours ago, RichCor said:

Data sim so cheap here, if he chooses to rely on hotel wifi and complain then SUCK IT UP!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Ping 229
Download 434.47
Upload 92.11

If you test all the time you will se it changes all the time so statements here and there of some revelation means nothing...

• Confused 2

13 minutes ago, Seeall said:

Indeed: In TH ok, outside slow.. there, FOUR words.................  always been like this.. its just the users playing around that think its ok that say it is.... even the techs laugh about it and say you are lucky to get 3 MBPS ..  when Falang upgrade to the 1000bbps plans.... why people talk/test inside TH.. most servers you will want to connect to are outside TH ....

it was 174 Mbit on Wednesday.. And was that sort of speed every day from arrival last saturday. 

My home internet also routinely triple digit Mbit speeds international.

• Like 1