How are the bars, restaurants, agogos, massage shops, gentleman clubs and any business doing during covid?

scubascuba3

11 hours ago, Leaver said:

Enough tourists to allow break even, and stop the monthly losses.

Rumour is those who make the effort might be hit with another 300 baht added to the airport tax... imagine those wrapped up in PPE spraying you down and checking CORs also taking cash on arrival like Koh Samet.

12 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Rumour is those who make the effort might be hit with another 300 baht added to the airport tax... imagine those wrapped up in PPE spraying you down and checking CORs also taking cash on arrival like Koh Samet.

I read that. 

No doubt, even after covid, the 300 baht would stay.  I think the exit tax is already something like 700 or 800 baht, added to the flight ticket.  So it will be over 1000 baht just to enter and exit Thailand.

Money go down - put price up.  

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Leaver said:

No doubt, even after covid, the 300 baht would stay. 

Nothing to do with Covid, its a Tourist Tax, which 34 baht of the 300 will be used to provide insurance.

I think the exit tax is already something like 700 or 800 baht, added to the flight ticket  

700 baht

So it will be over 1000 baht just to enter and exit Thailand.  

Not at the moment.

4 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

Nothing to do with Covid, its a Tourist Tax, which 34 baht of the 300 will be used to provide insurance

Wow, cheaper than the 65,000 I pay.... it must have a minimum life of 30 days, so I will buy 12 of those. ( I am guessing I can't get out of paying the other 266 baht?)

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

Nothing to do with Covid, its a Tourist Tax, which 34 baht of the 300 will be used to provide insurance.

700 baht

Not at the moment.

You are correct.  It's just a new tax.  It's not a temporary covid recovery tax, as I initially thought.  

Raising prices at a time Thailand will struggle to attract tourists. 

What a way to welcome back tourists.   ???? 

• Like 2

On 1/17/2021 at 4:29 PM, TaaSaparot said:

Not sure what adaquete is, but you wont be purchasing insurance for 34 baht.

Maybe it will promote medical tourism.  if you are sick, come to Thailand and be treated, for only 34 baht.  ????

• Haha 1

On 1/17/2021 at 3:17 AM, Irate priest said:

What kind of insurance am i purchasing for my 34 BAHT and will this prove adaquete for my next trip ?

More than likely, as long as you don't acquire a virus or disease, get sick or have an accident or whatever. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

So now we know what it doesn't cover, what does it cover?  ????

Obviously it doesn't cover anything, 90% is for "tourism development", the balance towards unpaid hospital bills left by foreigners. 

Another misleading headline. 

36 minutes ago, rott said:

Obviously it doesn't cover anything, 90% is for "tourism development", the balance towards unpaid hospital bills left by foreigners. 

Yes, I think the use of the word "insurance" is misleading.   No doubt there will be future headlines about it.  

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

They've probably simply added up the costs of foreigners not paying their govt hospital bills, and divided by estimated number of tourists 

So, where's the incentive to pay, when you know everyone else is paying for you?  

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

They've probably simply added up the costs of foreigners not paying their govt hospital bills, and divided by estimated number of tourists 

1 hour ago, rott said:

That is how I read it also.

Obvious to most it would seem.

Edited by TaaSaparot

10 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

And I wonder how this will be administered. I can't see such a puny amount being much benefit to individual tourists.... will hospitals submit claims when they have had a penniless tourist leave a large debt behind? Should leave some for the grubby hands! 

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

And I wonder how this will be administered. I can't see such a puny amount being much benefit to individual tourists.... will hospitals submit claims when they have had a penniless tourist leave a large debt behind? Should leave some for the grubby hands! 

Unpaid bills at govt hospitals are paid by govt so this tourist fee will just go straight to govt

Has anyone noticed how many food delivery guys there are hanging around all over town these days......There are absolutely loads of them and their numbers seem to be growing in proportion to the ever increasing for rent/sale signs........

I know the food delivery business is booming but are this many delivery guys really needed?

3 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Has anyone noticed how many food delivery guys there are hanging around all over town these days......There are absolutely loads of them and their numbers seem to be growing in proportion to the ever increasing for rent/sale signs........

I know the food delivery business is booming but are this many delivery guys really needed?

My friends husband lost his job last year he started doing that food delivery he's doing ok, some days I stop at a PTT and have a coffee at Amazon always see a few coming and going there, 

7 hours ago, redwood1 said:

A quick calculation by me says it`s a two 4 one...two delivery folk for every person here :cheesy:

1 hour ago, redwood1 said:

Think there,s an opportunity there for massage home delivery?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

the people who don't pay probably can't pay, dead or destitute. Most people know if you go to a govt hospital you have to pay

Sure, but the situation I was thinking about was of a young backpacker who hires a motor scooter and has an accident.  Unlicensed, so no travel insurance. 

Sometimes the parents pay, sometimes Go Fung Me pays.  Why bother with either of these if the injured party knows that for their 34 baht, 10,000,000 tourists to Thailand will be paying?    

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Sure, but the situation I was thinking about was of a young backpacker who hires a motor scooter and has an accident.  Unlicensed, so no travel insurance. 

Sometimes the parents pay, sometimes Go Fung Me pays.  Why bother with either of these if the injured party knows that for their 34 baht, 10,000,000 tourists to Thailand will be paying?    

Backpackers are more likely to have travel insurance, I know I did, as for no licence, same risk as every other tourist I guess. Probably the bulk of the costs they are trying to cover are rogue tourists with no travel insurance and the old fellas with no money that end up in Bang Lamung etc

24 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Backpackers are more likely to have travel insurance, I know I did, as for no licence, same risk as every other tourist I guess. Probably the bulk of the costs they are trying to cover are rogue tourists with no travel insurance and the old fellas with no money that end up in Bang Lamung etc

Backpackers also take more risks, and alcohol is often involved.  Put those two together, and travel insurance companies will not pay out.

When covid is over, and tourists start coming back, how long before the first headline in international media, showing a tourist with a big medical bill that is either unable, or unwilling to pay, because they are claiming the 34 baht insurance should cover the cost?   

Of course, they may not get far with that argument, but it will be bad publicity and expose this insurance as worthless for tourists.

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

If he "knows" that, he knows nothing. 

He will be liable to pay and so he xxxxing should be. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rott said:

If he "knows" that, he knows nothing. 

He will be liable to pay and so he xxxxing should be. 

See my other post. 

Who care if he pays, or doesn't pay, or his parents pay, or Go Fund Me pays, ore no one pays and he is detained?

It's inevitable a news item will go international exposing this "insurance" as no insurance at all, and that's bad publicity.

The Thai government should just have made a 300 baht tourist tax and never mentioned the word "insurance" at all.      

42 minutes ago, Leaver said:

See my other post. 

Who care if he pays, or doesn't pay, or his parents pay, or Go Fund Me pays, ore no one pays and he is detained?

It's inevitable a news item will go international exposing this "insurance" as no insurance at all, and that's bad publicity.

The Thai government should just have made a 300 baht tourist tax and never mentioned the word "insurance" at all.      

That may be a very good point....