How are the bars, restaurants, agogos, massage shops, gentleman clubs and any business doing during covid?

scubascuba3

On 11/22/2020 at 7:38 PM, ChaiyaTH said:

Which is their problem, by opening the same shop 10 times in one area. This is the same with almost any business in Thailand.

The lack of brains, innovation, proper service and pricing, is lacking. I have visited over 50 barbershops and still have to find one doing a good job for the money they ask, same story again. Coffeeshops too, endless.

A proper located, well serviced massage shop (of which I do know a few owners), the girls easily have 4-5 customers per day. Those generic massage ladies do not need to earn more than 300 baht, as that is what other people without education earn too.

I'm not sure the Min. of Labour would agree with your figures......Neither do I....

1 hour ago, champers said:

Amari Tower and the 2 Holiday Inn hotels,

The Holiday Inn has one tower completely closed, or did. Was it opened? The hotel I stayed at, 4 star, nearly empty on the Friday. Got the impression most people drove into town judging by parking!

On 11/22/2020 at 7:53 PM, ChaiyaTH said:

You actually assume a lot of things while nobody has mentioned wanting to only pay 80 baht. It is about being willing to pay when service is also delivered.

Also you seem to not understand that 80 baht actually equals 1.5 hours of work, so that be 25 USD ish back home,
you can get plenty of haircuts with quality for that in the west. 

Most shops here actually dare to charge 200-300 baht for haircuts while their rent is lower, utilities are, staff costs is and insurances too. Then explain to me why we can get haircuts in Netherlands, in brand new buildings, with quality, for the same price.

Last but not least, if you think it is expats or farangs complaining, then ask the locals, they think prices are insane high and rarely use them (because the prices are insane high if looking at local earnings).

The average price of a haircut in EU is : 23Euro. I don't see the way you calculate....

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

The Holiday Inn has one tower completely closed, or did. Was it opened? The hotel I stayed at, 4 star, nearly empty on the Friday. Got the impression most people drove into town judging by parking!

I have read somewhere that the Executive Tower had opened. I am sure I saw lights on there on Saturday night.

2 minutes ago, champers said:

I have read somewhere that the Executive Tower had opened. I am sure I saw lights on there on Saturday night.

Actually I think you are correct and I saw lights on there myself Friday night... unless it was a ploy!

35 minutes ago, champers said:

900 to "ring the bell" in one place I have read about. People pay it to help keep their favourite bars going and their pet girls clothed and fed; charity by another name.

Why don't the bars simply set up a Go Fund me page, rather than pass of water as alcohol, with fake smiles?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, champers said:

900 to "ring the bell" in one place I have read about. People pay it to help keep their favourite bars going and their pet girls clothed and fed; charity by another name.

so remote payments online to prostitutes working abroad is considered 'charitable giving' nowadays is it?  That's even sadder. I am sure that these deluded punters could find more worthy causes for their cash. 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

I saw a sign today at the Beer Hub.....Chang,Leo, Singha....45 baht....That must only be a few baht over cost...

Empty bar, opposite Prominee guesthouse sells small beers for 34, Large Singh 65, Large Chang 55, Up the road in Hungry Hippo similar prices. Beer Hub is just a cash burn better to just throw in the towel

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Empty bar, opposite Prominee guesthouse sells small beers for 34, Large Singh 65, Large Chang 55, Up the road in Hungry Hippo similar prices. Beer Hub is just a cash burn better to just throw in the towel

Buy a large Leo in a supermarket or 7/11 and it costs 55. That price will include for making a profit.

On 11/21/2020 at 6:29 PM, NanLaew said:

I heard a couple of months back that the TQ on Beach was in a deep hole and struggling to keep the doors open. Anyone know if it's still struggling?

I also hear that at least a couple of beer bars on Soi 6 have ip cams set up where stuck-at-home punters can buy their favorite bar girls ladies drinks via the bars FaceBook page. Apparently it's 300 baht a pop and the girls seem to be doing OK. Not sure if it matters if the punter is in Northampton or Naklua either.

Wow. Now there is some creativity! Good on them. Gotta appreciate some ingenuity and survival skills. And likely beats a strip club back home, which are such desperate scenes of desolation. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jomtienisgood said:

I'm not sure the Min. of Labour would agree with your figures......Neither do I....

True. Since 300 baht is the bare minimum and way, way below the average daily wage here. I know many Thais who earn 40,000 to well over 100,000 baht a month. Even now.

However, many unskilled workers do earn a rather meager wage here. 

• Like 1

A flame/Troll post and subsequent responses have been removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

5 hours ago, Leaver said:

Especially when it's only water they are drinking.  ????

I thought the drinking water story was from the bar owner across the road who was jealous that they were making money while he made nothing. Very hard to know what they were drinking.

13 hours ago, Leaver said:

Why don't the bars simply set up a Go Fund me page, rather than pass of water as alcohol, with fake smiles?

Presumably there is more money in the drink scrounging online,  I get reminders on my phone when one or two places have started streaming and must admit I go take a look. Not likely to get me to buy a tequila on-line from my sofa though, don't do it when actually in there!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Presumably there is more money in the drink scrounging online,  I get reminders on my phone when one or two places have started streaming and must admit I go take a look. Not likely to get me to buy a tequila on-line from my sofa though, don't do it when actually in there!

They will even ring the bell for you, when you donate

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

True. Since 300 baht is the bare minimum and way, way below the average daily wage here. I know many Thais who earn 40,000 to well over 100,000 baht a month. Even now.

However, many unskilled workers do earn a rather meager wage here. 

Everything correct except the Min daily wage for unskilled labor varies slightly from province to province. e.g. Chonburi & Pukhet are the highest wages; Surprisingly higher than BKK... Average min salary for " unskilled staff " +/- 10000Thb / month....

On 11/29/2020 at 4:39 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Pattaya roads were like a giant car park the last 2 days, I'm sure many just go round and round and then go home, I get a feeling it's mostly round the beach and temples so not sure if they actually spend much, maybe similar to Chinese

Firework Festival