How are the bars, restaurants, agogos, massage shops, gentleman clubs and any business doing during covid?

scubascuba3

I Just came back from Central Festival and that place is pretty much on Defcon 5 lockdown.....Only Tops and a few other places are open on the ground floor the upstairs is totally closed off....Walked from there to Pattaya Klang,Every single business I passed was for rent for sale or closed except one Indian restaurant with zero customers........

No Sir this is not a lockdown.......... 

1 hour ago, redwood1 said:

I Just came back from Central Festival and that place is pretty much on Defcon 5 lockdown.....Only Tops and a few other places are open on the ground floor the upstairs is totally closed off....Walked from there to Pattaya Klang,Every single business I passed was for rent for sale or closed except one Indian restaurant with zero customers........

No Sir this is not a lockdown.......... 

Central to Klang! You sure had a good look around?????

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Central to Klang! You sure had a good look around?????

lol......Trust me I have been all over...But I have never seen that one stretch of 2nd road have all the businesses shut down before not even in the last lockdown.... I was pretty shocked......

About the only road in Pattaya that is even a little bit normal is Soi Bukow....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Looks like covid is out the bag here and only getting worse, we're on the verge of exponential growth, I reckon 6-12 months of this at least, more businesses will throw the towel in. 

Massage shops kept sois alive, they've now all closed

I agree.  Unfortunately, I think Thailand, or at least some provinces of Thailand, are about to head down the same path as many other cities / countries around the world.  

Covid, and its economic impact, is a long way from over in Thailand.  

• Like 2

A representative of Thai massage shops is quoted today as saying that over 11,000 out of 15,000 traditional spas and massage parlours have gone out of business permanently. He concluded by saying "If we're not allowed to open, the government must provide relief measures"

Why do I have an image in my mind's eye of Prawit giving someone a happy ending?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, champers said:

A representative of Thai massage shops is quoted today as saying that over 11,000 out of 15,000 traditional spas and massage parlours have gone out of business permanently.

That's a big loss of "tradition."  Once these "skills" are lost from the current generation of massage staff, they are lost forever.  ????

Maybe a traditional happy Thai massage will be only seen in Thai culture shows n the future.  The government should be doing all it can to preserve this proud Thai "tradition."  ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Leaver said:

That's a big loss of "tradition."  Once these "skills" are lost from the current generation of massage staff, they are lost forever.  ????

Maybe a traditional happy Thai massage will be only seen in Thai culture shows n the future.  The government should be doing all it can to preserve this proud Thai "tradition."  ????

There's pretty much nothing else they can do, there's enough cleaners already, they will be back in action as soon as allowed

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Seriously?

I know loads of girls that have a certificate for Thai Massage, which they said ironically was a back up.

There is several schools in Pattaya, and its not that expensive to be trained up, and get a certificate.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Leaver said:

What about the 11,000 that have permanently closed? 

The Foot Massage places were the first ones to close up shop, as it did not take much time to get rid of a few chairs etc.

And for the same reason, they will be the first types of places to re-open if Tourists ever return.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

I know loads of girls that have a certificate for Thai Massage, which they said ironically was a back up.

Let's hope these girls don't lose their main job, now that their "back up" job is redundant.  

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

The Foot Massage places were the first ones to close up shop, as it did not take much time to get rid of a few chairs etc.

And for the same reason, they will be the first types of places to re-open if Tourists ever return.

I agree.

It will be interesting to see at what point in the tourism industry rebuild that the massage businesses start to open up again, in numbers.  Same with many other businesses.  

What numbers of incoming tourists, and what demographic, would kick off the rush back into Pattaya.

This would not be based on time.  Eg. after a vaccine roll out.  It would be based on when most potential new, or previous business owners, thought tourism to Pattaya could be profitable again.  

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

There's pretty much nothing else they can do, there's enough cleaners already, they will be back in action as soon as allowed

Of course they will. When given the nod the staff will make their way back into town.... there were places open last time the Monday morning exactly when the permission was given. Many of the staff had actually been living in the shop during the enforced closure. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Beach road is always hiring.........That's 100% guaranteed employment......Never any layoffs...... 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Of course they will. When given the nod the staff will make their way back into town.... there were places open last time the Monday morning exactly when the permission was given. Many of the staff had actually been living in the shop during the enforced closure. 

That's ok for the staff of the 4,000 shops, what about the staff of the other 11,000 shops?  

16 minutes ago, Leaver said:

That's ok for the staff of the 4,000 shops, what about the staff of the other 11,000 shops?  

I am not convinced they all will remain closed, but the numbers needed some trimming and forced retirement.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1