SURVEY: Death penalty--appropriate or just plain wrong?

Scott

SURVEY: Death penalty--appropriate or just plain wrong?  

225 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

When I hear about the death penalty I think of this phrase..

..they crucified Him there, along with the criminals, one on His right and the other on His left. Then Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.”

..although I totally get this might seem nigh impossible to embrace if heinous crimes happened to those you love and care about. Lets hope those who need it receive the strength to embrace it and I hope I am never chosen to carry such a dreadful burden.

There are far too many people on this planet.  We need to introduce the death penalty for a wider range of crimes, such as parking on a double yellow line, or wearing a wife-beater shirt.

We could also use the glut of human cadavers to supply ingredients to McDonalds...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Capital punishment makes the state no better than the murderers. It cheapens life in those societies that use it.  Vengeance is not a good trait in humans. I am happy that my country  has outlawed the practice. Our neighbour uses it and has a much higher murder rate. To me that makes it seem counterproductive.  If the purpose is to reduce murders then maybe it would be better to eliminate the main tools of the practice, i.e. guns. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Artisi said:

No it's not a minor detail in a very clear case of guilt, for example the railway guard a few years back who raped, murdered and threw a young girl off the train, does that constitute a minor detail. 

Everyday there are many cases where the guilty are guilty - look at today's news of the guy finally arrested for a murder a few years back at the request of the deceaseds wife - clear cut, no impediment - I guess another minor detail. 

sometimes seemingly "clear cut cases are wrong" ...are you ok to be the unlucky one? And courts have debated for years the meaning of "beyond reasonable doubt" for a guilty verdict but sometimes there are mistakes which of course is irredeemable once one is executed...its easy to say the words "clear cut"...now try to put that into legal language as would be in a statute and show where the border line would be? For example is .00000001 % doubt an acceptable level? Define "clear cut" in a way that can be applied to all cases if you can....not such an easy task. DNA evidence has been wrongly gathered, eye witnesses are often mistaken, confessions sometimes wrongly given or coerced, people are framed. For me one innocent in a billion wrongly executed is unacceptable. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Fine, I'm all for ridding society of the scum of the earth.  It saves society the cost of providing funds to accommodate the least deserving of humanity, when those funds could be much better spent.  Knowing you are not going to die, but instead live a life of relative ease and comfort in prison, is not a deterrent to committing a heinous crime.  It may also be said that the death penalty is also not a deterrent - if it were, crime rates should be falling - don't think so.  However, as much as I would like to be reassured that those found guilty and are facing the death penalty, are getting their just desserts, the one thing that bothers me is that it is inevitable (and has been proven), that innocent people have died at the hands of judge and jury and the true perpetrators of crimes are  not always brought to justice.  To my mind, there is no justification in carrying out hundreds of death sentences, if by doing so it results in just one innocent death. 

13 hours ago, Bluedan said:

I think thats an excellent post and summary 

I don't care if it "works" or not. The public and the victim's family get the satisfaction of revenge. My only concern is that it is not televised and sponsored, with profits going to worthy. charities. I have no mercy for violent criminals.

21 hours ago, allanos said:

Mosaic law, and before him, Hammurabi, decreed an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth.

But this was presented in a "you shouldn't seek any more revenge than an eye for an eye or a tooth for a tooth".  It was never a rule about "it is desirable that if someone takes your eye you must take theirs".

It was an upper limit, not a lower one.

11 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

It all depends which country, get jailed for life in most western countries is just a holiday

of course life in Thailand would be hell.

Typical cell in Australia as pictured below

prison.jpg

I challenge you go spend one day in that cell. Yes the conditions may look not so bad to you. Have you ever been caged? Its the loss of freedom not the loss of comforts 

and I assume you've checked that this is a maximum security cell?

Edited by Bluedan
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Bluedan said:

I challenge you go spend one day in that cell. Yes the conditions sent look so bad to you. Have you ever been caged? Its the loss of freedom not the loss of comforts 

and I assume you've checked that this is a maximum security cell?

Have you ever seen the inside of the Thai prison cells? 20 or more sleeping on the concrete floor.

38 minutes ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Have you ever seen the inside of the Thai prison cells? 20 or more sleeping on the concrete floor.

nope i'm not arguing that. its anywhere near as bad its obviously much worse in Thailand 

I'm saying 2 things 

first I don't believe that's a max security cell in the photo ..I have visited several maximum security prisons in Australia and the cells don't look like that 

second that loss of freedom is a severe punishment

Edited by Bluedan
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bluedan said:

nope i'm not arguing that. its anywhere near as bad its obviously much worse in Thailand 

I'm saying 2 things 

first I don't believe that's a max security cell in the photo ..I have visited several maximum security prisons in Australia and the cells don't look like that 

second that loss of freedom is a severe punishment

Where did I mentioned it is a maximum security prison cell? I just compared it to a prison

cell in Thailand.

12 minutes ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Where did I mentioned it is a maximum security prison cell? I just compared it to a prison

cell in Thailand.

you didn't but this forum is about the death penalty 

the discussion is about the alternative which won't as far as I'm aware be in the kind of cell you posted 

3 minutes ago, Bluedan said:

you didn't but this forum is about the death penalty 

the discussion is about the alternative which won't as far as I'm aware be in the kind of cell you posted 

Read this

With too many prisoners, inmates can find themselves stuffed into packed cells with no beds and squat toilets with no enclosures for privacy. ... The prisons have medical clinics, but at one Bangkok prison inmates say they are treated by “two-minute doctors” because they rush through the medical checks

I would say crime against kids, should be death penalty!

Anders Breivik the norwegian terrorist = Death penalty after one year where each day would be a countdown, and a reminder of the kids he killed and the families involved. I see no reasons for him to serve life time or in worst case let out of prison after maximum time. 

There is no way he can walk free ever, and let him rott where he is, is not an option either. Free the society from such people. 

Even I knew I was innocent and got the death penalty, it would have been bether to get it done as quick as possible, not sit in death row for 10 years? Thats inhuman. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Read this

With too many prisoners, inmates can find themselves stuffed into packed cells with no beds and squat toilets with no enclosures for privacy. ... The prisons have medical clinics, but at one Bangkok prison inmates say they are treated by “two-minute doctors” because they rush through the medical checks

yes I'm well aware of the comparison

my reply to you was not to suggest that Thai prisons aren't much worse of course they are

but I dispute that decades or life in an Australian maximum security prison for what would otherwise be a capital offence is "just a holiday"

23 hours ago, allanos said:

Mosaic law, and before him, Hammurabi, decreed an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth.

Of course, times were different, civilised, but in a different way to ours.

In modern times, it would seem to be just, and also dissuasive of others contemplating murder, if those found guilty of murder were to lose their lives also.

In the interests of a certain quality of mercy in our age, crimes of passion or where someone is shown to have been mentally unbalanced during the commitment of a murder, might be spared the ultimate sanction.

An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world will be blind.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mansell said:

An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world will be blind.

Talking about eyes,i have had the idea for a long time that rapists and killers should be releaved

of their eye sight.It tends to slow the hunting down i think.

But then again,only when cases are 100% sure.

The debate on this could go on for ever. Just look at the countries that still execute murderers, and usually mostly men. USA, China, and Arab countries still execute. But so-called civilized countries stopped this decades ago because they became enlightened. This world is about Love and Forgiveness, and not Hatred and Vengeance. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1