Fog in Pattaya not related to PM2.5 air pollution

rooster59

5 hours ago, LALes said:

What LA did you guys grow up in?  The water off the coast is never warm in Southern Cal.  Maybe for about 6 weeks in July-August.  And fog season is in the Spring and early Summer, not the winter.

Never or for 6 weeks?  Very TIT. 

12 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

This makes sense as I've been doing a lot of exercise and felt no difference in my breathing

I would like to add two items of note.

one, we were on our boat all day Wednesday and the skyline was very similar to that of Los Angeles,   a medium brown haze of pollution as far as the eye could see North and South.  We did find it difficult breathing, especially our 8-month old baby.  

two, Thursday and Friday we had the windows open and our air filter system in our living room was in the red all day.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, kuzmabruk said:

I would like to add two items of note.

one, we were on our boat all day Wednesday and the skyline was very similar to that of Los Angeles,   a medium brown haze of pollution as far as the eye could see North and South.  We did find it difficult breathing, especially our 8-month old baby.  

two, Thursday and Friday we had the windows open and our air filter system in our living room was in the red all day.

A couple of cycling friends also didn't notice any effect on their breathing, it certainly looked bad. I'm pretty sure some people are psychosomatic and even get mild anxiety when pollution looks bad

7 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Yeah, it happens a lot when cooler air meets warmer waters and the evaporation condenses and becomes fog. Doesn't have to be that much cooler apparently, just enough to make the microscopic droplets condense. One article mentions a temperature difference of as little as 2.5 degrees between the "dew point" and the air temperature. Another says that fog will form with the air temperature is from 5-40 degrees cooler than the surface water temperature. 

LA has a massive smog problem though, even with all the pollution control regulations they've brought it (some of the strictest standards not just in the USA but in the world it seems). Add to that the warm water off the coast and cold air coming from (mainly) the north. 
I think the El Niño and La Niña cycles have an effect as well. 

Just not correct. You hardly ever have warm weather off the coast. Due to the California current (also known as the Humboldt current). And they rarely get cold air from the north. More often, they get warm air from the desert. Called a Santa Ana wind. That creates alot of fog, when it mixes with cold air from the ocean. 

The waters along the west coast of North America are some of the most biologically productive in the world. Cool water from high latitudes flows southward from the edge of British Columbia to Baja; this is the California Current.

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/87575/california-coastal-current

Edited by spidermike007

8 hours ago, elgenon said:

Can also be caused by the water in the ocean? LA beaches get foggy this time of year but not because of rain.

I can remember landing in LA in the middle of a pea-soup fog. The captain came on the intercom, asking if there were any passengers with a seeing eye dog so that we could make our way to the terminal ... 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Yeah, it happens a lot when cooler air meets warmer waters and the evaporation condenses and becomes fog. Doesn't have to be that much cooler apparently, just enough to make the microscopic droplets condense. One article mentions a temperature difference of as little as 2.5 degrees between the "dew point" and the air temperature. Another says that fog will form with the air temperature is from 5-40 degrees cooler than the surface water temperature. 

LA has a massive smog problem though, even with all the pollution control regulations they've brought it (some of the strictest standards not just in the USA but in the world it seems). Add to that the warm water off the coast and cold air coming from (mainly) the north. 
I think the El Niño and La Niña cycles have an effect as well. 

No smog problem at the beach. Only when wind comes from the desert is there some.

14 hours ago, dundas said:

I can remember landing in LA in the middle of a pea-soup fog. The captain came on the intercom, asking if there were any passengers with a seeing eye dog so that we could make our way to the terminal ... 

Smart captain to seek assistance. Though might have been a bit disconcerting. 555  Didn't the plane have fog lights? 555

I have been on flights that were diverted to Ontario Airport. A bit of a slog back to the beach.