Trump and allies launch new efforts to overturn Biden victory in key states

rooster59

An off topic post citing a case in California where authorities caught and prosecuted an attempted fraudulent voter registration effort -- which as a result meant no fraudulent votes were cast and having nothing to do with the recent Presidential election -- has been removed along with various replies.

19 hours ago, alex8912 said:

A lot of Americans laugh about your claim of actually being able to read the minds of over 60 million people. Also the amount of people like yourself that still don’t get it. 

There may be a large variety of reasons that supporters clamor to election justice they see as being denied.

The fact that there is apparently no evidence to support this is apparently irrelevant to them.

So indeed I cannot read their minds but am forced by facts to conclude that they are simply displaying a large variety of delusions. To each his own apparently.

It is a dangerous proposition to go through life denying reality though; it often leads to bad outcomes. Mistaking an angry brown bear in the forest for Smokey or Teddy can be fatal.????

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

About Americans in Thailand and Trump:

Before the 2016 election I spoke with an American guy in my building. He just returned from the GOP primaries in Bangkok (I am not sure if that is the correct term). He was delighted that the majority voted for Trump. So it seem there are also lots of Americans in Thailand who support(ed) Trump.

IMO the more rational of the Trump supporters had high hopes of him at the start of his Presidency, then became disillusioned when it became clear he was merely substituting crocodiles for alligators in the swamp he promised to drain. Biden's margin over Trump is 6 million votes, whereas Clinton's was a bit less than 3 million. That, after Trump calling Biden the worst Presidential candidate in America's history.

3 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Nobody every said life is fair.

One of our Prime Ministers, Malcolm Fraser, famously made the remark " Life wasn't meant to be easy". He copped a lot of flak for it.

Quite rarely, a politician will forget their script and actually state the truth about an issue. They seldom get praise for doing so.

I doubt Trump will ever make that kind of mistake.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

One of our Prime Ministers, Malcolm Fraser, famously made the remark " Life wasn't meant to be easy". He copped a lot of flak for it.

Quite rarely, a politician will forget their script and actually state the truth about an issue. They seldom get praise for doing so.

I doubt Trump will ever make that kind of mistake.

Prior to him  forgetting his dacks in motel room! 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I wonder why the US courts are not punishing people who bring these charges to the court with no evidence again and again, and several cases where their claims were proved categorically to be incorrect but they brought cases again and again.  

In most countries this would be seen as a form of contempt of court and severe lack of respect for the law and judicial processes, and they would quickly be severely reprimanded or punished. 

Yes, if they have evidence it must be heard. 

Like foreign leaders initially did, the courts continue to give him the respect his office deserves. Maybe that should continue to be the case because we should not disrespect an office just because the man holding it is human offal. I would comment on Giuliani but he's such a classic clown it would constitute mocking the handicapped.

In the end it all works out though because Trump takes very opportunity to disgrace himself and his office regardless. I remain convinced that he was voted out of office partially, and perhaps crucially, because of who he is and not what his  policies are.

2 minutes ago, candide said:

They are not punished because they are very cautious. They talk about fraud on TV but don't use this word in front of courts (I.e. Giuliani " this is not a fraud case").

The numerous conspiracy theories Giuliani is bragging about on TV are never addressed in courts. It's just aimed at gullible Trumpers!

And the judges in these courts can't see through the 'fog' they are trying to create?

I doubt that.

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Historians will probably argue for years about the factors that brought about Trump's loss, as it's fairly rare for an incumbent to be denied a second term. Personally, I believe his denialism and braggadocio during the pandemic was a major cause, with the Woodward interviews being the final straw.

We'll never know, but I'm convinced if he had just paid a little honest attention to Covid-19 then he would easily have sailed into a second term.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, J Town said:
18 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Historians will probably argue for years about the factors that brought about Trump's loss, as it's fairly rare for an incumbent to be denied a second term. Personally, I believe his denialism and braggadocio during the pandemic was a major cause, with the Woodward interviews being the final straw.

We'll never know, but I'm convinced if he had just paid a little honest attention to Covid-19 then he would easily have sailed into a second term.

Yes, and imagine the news about the working vaccine would have been published a week before the election. Oh no, I don't want to think about what might have happened. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, J Town said:

The remainder of Trump's Fab 5 legal strikeforce should also be scrutinize and face disbarment. Loony conspiracy theorist Sidney Powell, Ukraine shakedown husband and wife Joseph DiGenova and Victoria Toensing who once called Trump an idiot and can't be trusted.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, J Town said:

Trump is incapable of nuance, such as striking a reasonable balance between containing the pandemic and supporting the economy.  He decided that since the virus was bad for the economy, and he had bragged endlessly about the economy, it was better to pretend the virus wasn't important..

• Like 2

14 hours ago, bendejo said:

At this point it's about getting something before the US Supreme Court.  Likely Alito and Thomas will keep true to the party regardless of the hogwash presented, and the three he appointed are already there.

If the chief justice accepts the case at all, not good: welcome to Belarus.

not likely to be a problem at all.  even though trump appointed these judges, they are in no way required to rule according to his wishes. 

he wanted "strict constructionist, not activist" judges who will rule according to the law and legal precedent.  if they do accept one ,or possibly two, of his elite lethal team's hail mary's, the suits will be soundly defeated.

Edited by ChouDoufu

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

I wonder why the US courts are not punishing people who bring these charges to the court with no evidence again and again, and several cases where their claims were proved categorically to be incorrect but they brought cases again and again.  

In most countries this would be seen as a form of contempt of court and severe lack of respect for the law and judicial processes, and they would quickly be severely reprimanded or punished. 

Yes, if they have evidence it must be heard. 

but they are not claiming "fraud" in the courts.  lawyers are very careful with their words......in the courtroom where they would be held to account.  there are "potential irregularities" and "indications of malfeasance", but never fraud.