Solution fired at protesters contained 4 types of tear gas: analysis

rooster59

Solution fired at protesters contained 4 types of tear gas: analysis

By THE NATION

800_daeacd49b6b182b.jpg

A sample of the solution police fired at pro-democracy protesters on Tuesday has tested positive for four different chemicals which burn the eyes and skin.

Riot police fired the solution from water cannons at Kiak Kai Intersection, during a confrontation with protesters who were seeking to rally outside Parliament on the first day of charter-change deliberations.

Protesters and journalists hit by the solution suffered stinging eyes and skin, as well as breathing problems. Many needed hospital treatment.

The effects prompted questions over what chemicals police had used in the solution.

On Friday, Weerachai Phutdhawong, a Kasetsart University chemistry professor, announced results of his analysis of a sample of the solution used on Tuesday.

The results showed five chemicals, as well as a dye that turned the solution purple.

The five substances were dimethyl sulfoxide, 2-Chlorobenzaldehyde, 2-Chlorobenzyl alcohol, 2-chlorobenzalmalononitrile, and o-Chlorobenzylmalononitrile.

The first in the list was a solvent for the chemical mixture, said Weerachai.

The other four all belong to the tear gas group of chemicals, he said.

The second chemical, 2-Chlorobenzaldehyde, burns the skin and damages the eye, he explained.

“When people come into contact with it, it irritates their cornea and conjunctiva, making them cry. It can also cause other effects, such as a runny nose, coughing, or breathing difficulties,” he added.

The third chemical, 2-Chlorobenzyl alcohol, causes irritation of the eyes, skin and respiratory system.

The fourth, 2-chlorobenzalmalononitrile, is commonly known as CS gas – the defining component of tear gas used in riot control operations. The fifth chemical has the same irritant properties as the others.

The professor explained that all the four substances came under the tear-gas chemical group. However, it was enough to use only one of them for crowd-control purposes, he added.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30398313?utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=internal_referral

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-11-22

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

3 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Some body did last week didnt they?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-54976112

Some protesters suffered gunshot wounds, though police denied using live rounds or rubber bullets during the operation, according to news agencies AFP and Reuters.

Till it is proven the police used live rounds un necessarily I'm not agreeing it was approved by the government. Even the cops are allowed to use lethal force if they think they are in imminent danger.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Just now, Mr Meeseeks said:

Nobody lifted a finger when the Yellow Shirts took over the sirports, Government House and almost caused a war with Cambodia over Preah Vihear. 

A few students come out and they deploy the tear gas and water cannons almost immediately. 

It's not a few students though, is it?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

No idea, but it's all happened before and LOS was, after, still beloved of tourists such as I.

I always tried to stay out of Thai politics as it's nothing to do with farangs. I had to bite my tongue with my wife as she was a red shirt supporter.

That's not to say we can't comment on it on here.

Cheers to the wife.

28 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

According to Khaosod, Police arrested a Yellow Shirt with a handgun and he has been charged. 

Probably planted by the protestors is what the rest of the Yellow shirts will say, just like the drugs and paraphernalia in the police van, which could be checked for DNA and finger prints on the items.  At least he was not wearing black but if I remember he was in a pink rain jacket.  Needed to be seen by the police so they recognized him as one of the royalist movement.

• Like 1