Solution fired at protesters contained 4 types of tear gas: analysis

rooster59

1 hour ago, kickstart said:

Because the yellow shirts  at the time,  were being supported by her at the top of the ladder, hence not a lot done. .

Your confused she was not in power. The Airport incident occurred on the evening of Tuesday 25 November 2008, when the PAD executed what they called "Operation Hiroshima." A convoy of hundreds of armed PAD members dressed in yellow blocked the two ends of the road in front of the terminal building of Suvarnabhumi International Airport, Bangkok's main airport and an important regional hub.Thaksin was a Thai Rak Thai party member and was a red shirt just like his sister.  They never supported yellow. Get your facts straight.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, rabas said:

-- I did copy your entire quote, as is. Please recheck. Did you press the expand button?

--  Mao Zedong whom you mentioned was Chairman Mao whom I mentioned. Your comment about guns was, I assume, aimed at the government, which is the Thai Constitutional Monarchy. The elected government and military also come under the constitution as in many countries.

But I think I understand the issue. I was referring to the whole Thai government including the elected (cough) leaders and military.  Sorry I guess I could have made that more clear. 

My point was that Thailand is represented by a constitution and  bares no resemblance to Chairman Mao and the communist overthrow of China.

However the army DID overthrow a legally  elected goverment and has done many times. Each time it is treason as they are also attempting to overthrow the monarchy as represented by a legally elected government, again, who represent both the people of Thailand and the Monarchy.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rabas said:

While I don't support teargas, I call foul. These chemicals are all the same thing, as the good chemist should know.

"The five substances were dimethyl sulfoxide, 2-Chlorobenzaldehyde, 2-Chlorobenzyl alcohol, 2-chlorobenzalmalononitrile, and o-Chlorobenzylmalononitrile."

2-chlorobenzalmalononitrile and o-Chlorobenzylmalononitrile are two names for the exact same chemical, which is tear gas.

2-Chlorobenzaldehyde, 2-Chlorobenzyl alcohol are precursors to make tear gas. They will show up in a sensitive analysis and are present in small amount anyway.  So they didn't use 4 kinds of tear gas, they used one.

That's not quite right. 2-Chlorobenzalmalononitrile C10H5ClN2 has an extra C=C double bond compared to o-Chlorobenzylmalononitrile C10H7ClN2 so they actually have different chemical formulas and are different compounds.
o-Chlorobenzylmalononitrile is a metabolite of 2-Chlorobenzalmalononitrile.

2-chlorobenzalmalononitrile.jpg.778f96af6c65b7dfb643df883579a43e.jpgo-Chlorobenzylmalononitrile.jpg.b36211f101aa7831e74cce88b963eaf0.jpg

Edited by katana
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/22/2020 at 7:53 AM, HashBrownHarry said:

what would you suggest?

Put the army back in the barracks and call a fresh election, one where no present or past army officers are permitted to run for office, then maybe this country can get back on track to democracy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, a977 said:

Put the army back in the barracks and call a fresh election, one where no present or past army officers are permitted to run for office, then maybe this country can get back on track to democracy

An election won't solve anything as the demands of the students won't be met.

17 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

The poster is referring to a different person at the top of the ladder, whom attended the funeral of a deceased Yellow Shirt, thus inferring support for that group.

Thanks for the information, but lending support at a funeral doesn't mean they protected a shutdown of the airport. Had they and then when the PAD members were arrested and convicted there would have been lesser penalties and jail time.  Those involved never attempted to lay blame elsewhere or attempted to appeal the penalty as they do not have the 7.5 million baht to pay. Had the person alleged to have protected them actually did, then they could pay but she won't so it pretty much says it all.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

An election won't solve anything as the demands of the students won't be met.

A genuine free election might result in a reforming government, which could engage with the student protest movement.

That will never be allowed, which only leaves revolution, bloodless or violent. Five years ago I would have said that was unlikely. Now I am not so sure.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, katana said:

That's not quite right. 2-Chlorobenzalmalononitrile C10H5ClN2 has an extra C=C double bond compared to o-Chlorobenzylmalononitrile C10H7ClN2 so they actually have different chemical formulas and are different compounds.
o-Chlorobenzylmalononitrile is a metabolite of 2-Chlorobenzalmalononitrile.

2-chlorobenzalmalononitrile.jpg.778f96af6c65b7dfb643df883579a43e.jpgo-Chlorobenzylmalononitrile.jpg.b36211f101aa7831e74cce88b963eaf0.jpg

Yes, you are correct.

But that emphasizes my original point that there was only one real chemical in the tear gas. The o-Chlorobenzylmalononitrile, C10H7ClN2 is not used to make tear gas but is a decomposition product or metabolite of the tear gas chemical 2-Chlorobenzalmalononitrile (also known as o-Chlorobenzalmalononitrile,  2- and o-  mean the same)

The fact he found 3 byproducts or impurities in the analysis does not mean the police used 4 different tear gas chemicals. Not that I am rooting for the police. Maybe they should use dilute Thai rice whisky in their water cannon. If they want smoke they can use some of the new Thai marijuana. A good time will be had by all.

Edited by rabas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, EricTh said:

Anyone that is in close vicinity by accident will know how much sufferings those tear gas can cause.

How can Prayut do this to his own people?

I only suffered CS gas on a training course where we were in an enclosed room wearing properly fitted gas masks. The instructor set off the CS and we kept our masks onuntill we were told to take them off for a minute. When we put the masks on they were full of gas which we had to live with until we had taken enough breaths through the filter to clear it and use.

Concentrated like that it is really nasty stuff. In the open air it would be not too bad.

Mixed in a water solution and sent under high pressure it could range from a little damage to a lot. If anyone has asthma or breathing problems then they will need hosital treatment fairly quickly.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, a977 said:

IMHO there is only one person in Thailand to do that and that person relies on the army for protection and support, so it is unlikely to happen.