Christmas on the beach...It's just not the same, is it?

WineOh

Christmas for me and the wife this year means Lazada and online groceries have been busy. In recent weeks I have bought

1 x 5 Kg turkey

1 500g Sage and onion stuffing.

4 x mince pies

2 Individual Christmas puddings (both for me, wife hates them ???? )

8 x 500ml cans of Frosty Jack's Apple Cider

1 x 5 foot Christmas tree, lights and garlands - the locals, esp the kids, love my tree.

1 x decent gift for the wife.

1 x 48 box of Beng Beng for the local kids

It will be a fun day in the sun, nowhere near the beach but also checking Pattaya hotels as a trip is still possible.

8 minutes ago, Saltire said:

Christmas for me and the wife this year means Lazada and online groceries have been busy. In recent weeks I have bought

4 x mince pies

2 Individual Christmas puddings (both for me, wife hates them ???? )

Did you buy the mince pies and pudding from Lazada? Can't find anything listed.

3 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Who are the mince pies four?

I can't answer that till I find out if the wife likes them or not. She has never had Christmas mince pies. Here's hoping it's the same result as the Christmas pud, which means the answer will be 'me'.

Just now, Saltire said:

I can't answer that till I find out if the wife likes them or not. She has never had Christmas mince pies. Here's hoping it's the same result as the Christmas pud, which means the answer will be 'me'.

My daughter sends me a home made Christmas cake every year. Not found one Thai that likes it.

• Haha 1

Spent Xmas last year in Udon. Found a decent Xmas dinner, better than anything I’ve had outside my home in the UK. 

The Thais seemed to be making more of it each year with decorations everywhere, and the children more switched on. I guess they see the commercial benefits. 

Give me the heat over the s-hit weather here any day. 

13 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Had Christmas once on beach in the Maldives, was totally wierd eating lobster, just wasnt "Christmas" at all to me.

As the years have rolled on it doesnt mean anything anymore. Its a time for young families and kids and snow which has all long gone for me.

Pretty hard to find snow in Australia in December

In my opinion, it's what you make of it.  12 Friends are getting together at a Restaurant on the beach, with traditional Christmas Dinner and we will by a pressie worth less than 500 baht each, which will be picked blind-folded.  We have as much alcohol as you want, included in the price and we intend to have a whale of a time having fun with our Friends.  Sure it will be different, but that is the beauty of life.  You are not here for ever, so enjoy it whilst you can is our motto!

• Like 2

I have spent most of my life changing, making adjustments to my situation, my environment, my circle of friends - Christmas!

Now 75, I have enjoyed the Western-style Christmas, especially without religion, for more than 50 of those years.

In Thailand, Christmas is becoming more popular, but mainly spurred on by the media and business interests and of course an excuse for Thais to have another party. Being close to the New Year creates a "season" of festivities that also appeals to tourists for a warm-weather Christmas for a change.

I do miss the traditional Christmas but not enough to do much about it!

My Thai wife and I exchange gifts and some of our friends have entered into this spirit as well!

Anyway, I take a moment to offer good wishes and goodwill for those I know, and those I don't know for the coming Christmas period and the New Year, hoping that whatever maybe not so good in your life to become so!

Meanwhile, I feel for those people all over the world for whom Christmas might easily be some kind of ordeal this year as it relates to the Covid-19. My heart goes out to them!

Cheers!

Chris and Kessara in warm and sunny Lampang

On 11/22/2020 at 8:57 AM, CharlieH said:

Had Christmas once on beach in the Maldives, was totally wierd eating lobster, just wasnt "Christmas" at all to me.

As the years have rolled on it doesnt mean anything anymore. Its a time for young families and kids and snow which has all long gone for me.

Being from Southern New Jersey, my starkest Christmas was standing at a Christmas Tree singing carols at John Pennekamp State Park in Key Largo, Florida in 1965. Dad gave the choice ... traditional Christmas at home with the gifts or a (for me, SCUBA diving trip). Dad could not dive as he had burned away a third of an eardrum when hot slag from his welding rolled down an ear canal. Dove with my best childhood friend and his Father.

• Like 1

This Christmas, I was supposed to be sharing with my daughter in Auckland. I haven't seen her for two years. Covid-19 has put the kibosh on it as NZ remains closed to visitors.

So I'm thinking my Christmas lunch this year may just be a mince pie and a glass of whisky.

On 11/21/2020 at 8:53 PM, Liverpoolfan said:

I love the beach, dont get me wrong.

but christmas day in the beaming hot sun just doesnt feel right, does it?

If I had one wish every year it would to be transported back to blighty for 1 day to feel the snow and sit round the family table pulling crackers with everyone.

then on boxing day back to the beach..

how about you lot, is Christmas the same in the tropics or not?

I grew up in Sunny Florida so never had snow for Christmas, Thailand Christmas to me is just the same. 

ie. We did have some snow in Florida in 1977.

Coming from the OLD Country, I never forget my first Oz Christmas, with Plastic Christmas trees, the Shop Windows at the Major Department Stores full of SNOWY Christmas Scene Displays, 30 Degrees outside and people singing all the traditional Christmas Songs of "jingle Bells" and other Winter/Snow songs ....... just did not feel Christmassy at all.

So now, I just "ignore" Christmas and hope, that someday I will be able to experience a REAL "WHITE CHRISTMAS" again??

19 hours ago, allanos said:

This Christmas, I was supposed to be sharing with my daughter in Auckland. I haven't seen her for two years. Covid-19 has put the kibosh on it as NZ remains closed to visitors.

So I'm thinking my Christmas lunch this year may just be a mince pie and a glass of whisky.

You can be together ( virtually ) via Skype, or whatever is used these days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Awinkl said:

Coming from the OLD Country, I never forget my first Oz Christmas, with Plastic Christmas trees, the Shop Windows at the Major Department Stores full of SNOWY Christmas Scene Displays, 30 Degrees outside and people singing all the traditional Christmas Songs of "jingle Bells" and other Winter/Snow songs ....... just did not feel Christmassy at all.

So now, I just "ignore" Christmas and hope, that someday I will be able to experience a REAL "WHITE CHRISTMAS" again??

My ninth Christmas was spent in isolation in a Sydney hospital. They played "The little drummer boy" every 5 minutes ( seemed like it ), and every time I hear that song I remember that unhappy time.

• Like 2

Only had one xmas in UK, didnt snow. Aunty had to drag us out of the bar to have the afternoon dinner.

In oz its boring, sit at home with all the seafood and beers, friends just drop by all day as they wish.

Now in KL, not much, just go to the bar with friends like its a normal day.

If i had family would make more of an effort though.

• Like 1

When you get a few farang about Christmas is usually OK. The best one I had here was in Jools a while ago. Food and drink aplenty, everyone getting mellow and then Life of Brian came on, the mellowness continued and grew. 

Of course I started the day right at Christ Church C of E.