Christmas on the beach...It's just not the same, is it?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like x-mas in Thailand 😉  

Had Christmas once on beach in the Maldives, was totally wierd eating lobster, just wasnt "Christmas" at all to me. As the years have rolled on it doesnt mean anything anymore. Its a time for you

I love the beach, dont get me wrong. but christmas day in the beaming hot sun just doesnt feel right, does it?   If I had one wish every year it would to be transported back to blighty

Posted Images

On 11/22/2020 at 8:57 AM, CharlieH said:

Had Christmas once on beach in the Maldives, was totally wierd eating lobster, just wasnt "Christmas" at all to me.

As the years have rolled on it doesnt mean anything anymore. Its a time for young families and kids and snow which has all long gone for me.

Being from Southern New Jersey, my starkest Christmas was standing at a Christmas Tree singing carols at John Pennekamp State Park in Key Largo, Florida in 1965. Dad gave the choice ... traditional Christmas at home with the gifts or a (for me, SCUBA diving trip). Dad could not dive as he had burned away a third of an eardrum when hot slag from his welding rolled down an ear canal. Dove with my best childhood friend and his Father.

• Like 1

This Christmas, I was supposed to be sharing with my daughter in Auckland. I haven't seen her for two years. Covid-19 has put the kibosh on it as NZ remains closed to visitors.

So I'm thinking my Christmas lunch this year may just be a mince pie and a glass of whisky.

On 11/21/2020 at 8:53 PM, Liverpoolfan said:

I love the beach, dont get me wrong.

but christmas day in the beaming hot sun just doesnt feel right, does it?

If I had one wish every year it would to be transported back to blighty for 1 day to feel the snow and sit round the family table pulling crackers with everyone.

then on boxing day back to the beach..

how about you lot, is Christmas the same in the tropics or not?

I grew up in Sunny Florida so never had snow for Christmas, Thailand Christmas to me is just the same. 

ie. We did have some snow in Florida in 1977.

Coming from the OLD Country, I never forget my first Oz Christmas, with Plastic Christmas trees, the Shop Windows at the Major Department Stores full of SNOWY Christmas Scene Displays, 30 Degrees outside and people singing all the traditional Christmas Songs of "jingle Bells" and other Winter/Snow songs ....... just did not feel Christmassy at all.

So now, I just "ignore" Christmas and hope, that someday I will be able to experience a REAL "WHITE CHRISTMAS" again??

19 hours ago, allanos said:

This Christmas, I was supposed to be sharing with my daughter in Auckland. I haven't seen her for two years. Covid-19 has put the kibosh on it as NZ remains closed to visitors.

So I'm thinking my Christmas lunch this year may just be a mince pie and a glass of whisky.

You can be together ( virtually ) via Skype, or whatever is used these days.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Awinkl said:

Coming from the OLD Country, I never forget my first Oz Christmas, with Plastic Christmas trees, the Shop Windows at the Major Department Stores full of SNOWY Christmas Scene Displays, 30 Degrees outside and people singing all the traditional Christmas Songs of "jingle Bells" and other Winter/Snow songs ....... just did not feel Christmassy at all.

So now, I just "ignore" Christmas and hope, that someday I will be able to experience a REAL "WHITE CHRISTMAS" again??

My ninth Christmas was spent in isolation in a Sydney hospital. They played "The little drummer boy" every 5 minutes ( seemed like it ), and every time I hear that song I remember that unhappy time.

• Like 2

Only had one xmas in UK, didnt snow. Aunty had to drag us out of the bar to have the afternoon dinner.

In oz its boring, sit at home with all the seafood and beers, friends just drop by all day as they wish.

Now in KL, not much, just go to the bar with friends like its a normal day.

If i had family would make more of an effort though.

• Like 1

When you get a few farang about Christmas is usually OK. The best one I had here was in Jools a while ago. Food and drink aplenty, everyone getting mellow and then Life of Brian came on, the mellowness continued and grew. 

Of course I started the day right at Christ Church C of E.