Coming to Thailand? Check your insurance and ASQ fine print.

rooster59

5 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Thai Insurance that doesnt really Insure you. Add that as another reason to avoid the place until the lunacy ends. 

My Thai Insurance Policy is about to pay for 170,000 baht treatment.

That said: I’m not sure if it will pay for Covid-19 hospitalisation based on a test result only and without symptoms. 

Big thanks to @rooster59 for posting this. ????

I've been saying for a while, "Oh it's OK, my UK travel insurance includes well over $100K Covid cover".....but haven't even thought to check the details in this thread!

@richard_smith237 sums it up nicely "and get everything in writing" seems more essential than ever.

Sadly, I think what @Kadilo  said about "avoiding the place until the lunacy ends" is what most tourists should be planning (myself included ????)

IMO, if and when vaccination takes off, various governments will consider relaxing some entry requirements and if recent news is accurate that may not be too long.

Of course whether Thailand is included remains to be seen.

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Anyone who tests positive for Covid-19 while not presenting symptoms should demand a second test. 

There is a possibility of a false positive; 0.8 to 4% - according to the Lancet) and possibly higher according to ‘other’ sources. 

The ‘insurance’ issue is good to know about. Anyone going into quarantine needs to receive in writing confirmation that any hospitalisation based on test results will be covered by there insurance - thats the whole objective of having the insurance which covers Covid-19. 

Not sure whether you can "demand" a second test.

They will make their decision. Not you.

• Like 1

Good to know. So is there a list or from experience of others which insurer will cover asymptomatic hospitalization? I'm orientating since we (wife, kid and I) plan to head to Thailand in Januari so it'd be good to know which insurers to aim for! ????

4 hours ago, alianware said:

The most stupid thing of thai insurance. It is just to fraud people.  Not symtom make someone sick , but the test result. 

Cancer has also no symtom !

Cancer has no symptoms? You're joking right?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Thai Insurance that doesnt really Insure you. Add that as another reason to avoid the place until the lunacy ends. 

I personally think is there will be great residue's from all this "Covid" visa demands carried forward well after what people perceive to be an end or vaccine day. Mandatory insurance has been talked about for a long time in thailand as has tagging all non thai people.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

I’m not sure either. But, If a person is paying for a second test my guess would be that the ASQ Staff or Hospital would not refuse.

As explained, second test is routine when there is a positive result. No need to demand anything, it is always done. in Thailand and elsewhere. normal medical practice.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Anyone who tests positive for Covid-19 while not presenting symptoms should demand a second test. 

There is a possibility of a false positive; 0.8 to 4% - according to the Lancet) and possibly higher according to ‘other’ sources. 

The ‘insurance’ issue is good to know about. Anyone going into quarantine needs to receive in writing confirmation that any hospitalisation based on test results will be covered by there insurance - thats the whole objective of having the insurance which covers Covid-19. 

Who is "other"?

Btw, while you may start of asymptomatic you well feel rather ill a few days down the line. There goes your false positive out of the window.

8 hours ago, Thomas J said:

This insurance was a lobbying effort by the insurance companies.  Ridiculous.  If Thailand was or is worried about foreigners being admitted to hospitals and not paying their expenses a simple fee could be imposed for entering Thailand for each tourist.  Assuming a normal year of 38 million million tourists a fee of as little as 100 baht would provide a fund of 3.8 billion.  Even a modest fee of 1,000 baht would provide a fund of 38 million.  Almost enough to buy two submarines. ????    I am certain that tourists visiting Thailand would prefer to have a fee assessed than go through the necessary hurdles to get an insurance policy and as this article so accurately describes they still might find they are not covered. 

Some people have several credit cards. I recommend to have multiple insurances and very deep pockets too, when entering Thailand. There will be or find reasons to collect as much as possible. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Thomas J said:

Assuming a normal year of 38 million million tourists a fee of as little as 100 baht would provide a fund of 3.8 billion

but this is not a normal year, and even if thailand will open doors wide open tomorrow - with no need for any test not quarantine, the way it is in mexico and brazil - still  even 5% of the tourist will not come

12 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Note that we don't have any actual reports of anyone's coverage being denied because they were asymptomatic

I can't imagine that they would or could deny coverage of an asymptomatic case. You have COVID and should be covered.

It is much more important to know who pays if you get a false positive. As far as I understand, they move you to the hospital immediately after a positive test, and even if they test you again the same day, you will have to stay at the hospital 1-2 days until they get the result of the second test. If it is negative, do the insurance cover when you did not have COVID?

7 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

but this is not a normal year, and even if thailand will open doors wide open tomorrow - with no need for any test not quarantine, the way it is in mexico and brazil - still  even 5% of the tourist will not come

Scott Fitzgersld

No this is not a "typical year"  Only that much more reason not to add any additional hurdles to coming.  If there are fewer tourists than there will be fewer who potentially would come into the hospital DUH