Coming to Thailand? Check your insurance and ASQ fine print.

rooster59

6 hours ago, farang51 said:

I can't imagine that they would or could deny coverage of an asymptomatic case. You have COVID and should be covered.

It is much more important to know who pays if you get a false positive. As far as I understand, they move you to the hospital immediately after a positive test, and even if they test you again the same day, you will have to stay at the hospital 1-2 days until they get the result of the second test. If it is negative, do the insurance cover when you did not have COVID?

Where have you heard that? My impression was that nothing is done until/unless a secode test is positive

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Where have you heard that? My impression was that nothing is done until/unless a secode test is positive

I believe I read it on some of the ASQ pages at http://hsscovid.com/. I just checked a few of them again and it may even be worse; at the info picture from Grand Richmond it says that you will be transported to the hospital if you have a fever above 37.5:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/164lxItCHtRsqIkLbRnVX9eD9_9pUFtH4

Anatara Siam Bangkok, if testing positive:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1gd7uStywwtAJ48K-M9NyVRjRnQtA5ziH

Edited by farang51
Added Anatara Siam Bangkok

On 11/22/2020 at 5:23 PM, Sheryl said:

All the ones on the tgia COVID list will.

https://covid19.tgia.org/

These are Thai companies and automatic hospitalization if positive is assumed.

Note that we don't have any actual reports of anyone's coverage being denied because they were asymptomatic and the usual level of detail supplied by Thai hospitals to insurance companies is sketchy in the extreme, usually just diagnosis and proposed treatment. Presence/absence of symptoms would thus not be flagged and would come to light only if the insurance company probed into the matter. Which might or  might not occur.

It is a huge mistake to assume anything especially when it comes to Thai insurance companies. They will look for every possible loop hole, escape clause, and reason to not pay.

11 hours ago, Banana7 said:

It is a huge mistake to assume anything especially when it comes to Thai insurance companies. They will look for every possible loop hole, escape clause, and reason to not pay.

These specific policies were developed solely to meet the government requirement for travellers.  And have been approved by tgia for that purpose. For them to not pay for a government mandated COVID hospitalization would be unthinkable (and easily and successfully appealed) - they'd lose their listing in a flash.

BTW while Thai insurers do have their drawbacks (some more than others) , many people have claims paid by them. I had a (general health) Thai policy for over 10 years, 3 pay outs direct to hospitals with no difficulty. likerw3ose Thai PA policy, paid out several times.

22 hours ago, seeriipaap said:
On 11/22/2020 at 2:51 PM, richard_smith237 said:

My Thai Insurance Policy is about to pay for 170,000 baht treatment.

What Thai insurance policy is it?

April International (Thailand) 

Cover: Inpatient Only (and follow up treatment at OPD after in patient up to 60 days)

Cover Ceiling: 16,375,000 baht per year

Area of Cover: World wide Ex USA.

Excess: 32,000 baht

Covid-19 letter provided. 

Communication with this insurance company has been ‘quite frustrating’ it took a number of e-mails to recently receive conformation of Pre-Authorisation for treatment (which was granted). 

April insurance provided me with the Covid-19 Cover certificate within 24 hours - but very oddly it took them three weeks to secure my cover - I was in ASQ already by the time they finalised my plan and took payment. 

It took a further 2 months to receive the documentation and Cards (I wanted the cards in my wallet incase I’m found unconscious etc). 

So... I’m happy with the level of cover April provides, I’m happy that they provided me with the 'Covid-19 Cover certificate’ very quickly, I’m happy that they have paid for a recent medical procedure - but communicating with them is extremely frustrating and their response clumsy. 

Edited by richard_smith237

On 11/22/2020 at 11:23 AM, Sheryl said:

All the ones on the tgia COVID list will.

https://covid19.tgia.org/

These are Thai companies and automatic hospitalization if positive is assumed.

Note that we don't have any actual reports of anyone's coverage being denied because they were asymptomatic and the usual level of detail supplied by Thai hospitals to insurance companies is sketchy in the extreme, usually just diagnosis and proposed treatment. Presence/absence of symptoms would thus not be flagged and would come to light only if the insurance company probed into the matter. Which might or  might not occur.

I've looked at their website, since my planned travel is for 3.5 months i'm being charged like 6 months... Will probably opt for a Dutch company that covers my whole family for half the price. Just need to make sure I thoroughly read the fine print first. ???? 

On 11/22/2020 at 11:15 AM, bigmac1 said:

If anyone books any foreign holiday, let alone to Thailand during this pandemic, they must be out of their minds. I think you will find any travel advice, from any country, is "DO NOT TRAVEL" unless it's essential. Basically STAY AT HOME until we come out of this crisis. End of !!!!

???? Okay mate. 

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

So... I’m happy with the level of cover April provides, I’m happy that they provided me with the 'Covid-19 Cover certificate’ very quickly, I’m happy that they have paid for a recent medical procedure - but communicating with them is extremely frustrating and their response clumsy. 

This is where having gone through a good broker pays off. Any problems with communication, just inform the broker and they will handle (and they seem able to get repsonse quickly)

Based on the post on The Thaiger, there is an update on message of AXA Product and Coverage, to ensure we give the right understanding and best coverage to the customers, please find below:

“AXA will cover for the hospital expense necessarily incurred if an insured person is tested positive for COVID-19 regardless of the showing of symptoms. The claim payment is subject to the insured person satisfying the other terms and conditions of the policy.”

Capture.PNG.fd23b5f8b68178f9a42c22a96ca1b499.PNG

You can futher review the information in the below link:

https://www.axa.co.th/en/axa-sawasdee-thailand-travel-insurance

Thanks & Regards,
AXA Thailand

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, AXA THAILAND said:

Based on the post on The Thaiger, there is an update on message of AXA Product and Coverage, to ensure we give the right understanding and best coverage to the customers, please find below:

“AXA will cover for the hospital expense necessarily incurred if an insured person is tested positive for COVID-19 regardless of the showing of symptoms. The claim payment is subject to the insured person satisfying the other terms and conditions of the policy.”

Thanks & Regards,
AXA Thailand

This still leaves open the issue of "necessarily incurred" expenses. If AXA decides that a treatment is not necessary, even if ordered by the attending physician or at the direction of the Thai government, AXA can deny coverage. The policy needs to state something along the lines of "AXA will cover all hospital expenses incurred as a result of the policyholder being hospitalized due to a positive Covid-19 test regardless of the presence of symptoms." Otherwise you're back to square one arguing what is necessary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/25/2020 at 1:03 AM, AXA THAILAND said:

Thanks & Regards,
AXA Thailand

Nice try AXA. The webpage states "This document is not insurance contract" and your comment refers to "the policy" - any other reassurance is meaningless when it comes time for AXA to pay (or not pay).

Where in the policy does it state "AXA will cover for the hospital expense necessarily incurred if an insured person is tested positive for COVID-19 regardless of the showing of symptoms"?

The word "necessarily" also implies it would be up to AXA to determine that none of it is "necessary" without showing symptoms.

Edited by seeriipaap
Noticed more of AXA's deceptive wording