The Thai tourism new normal, learning to live with the pandemic

rooster59

It seems the Govt have ordered 26m shots of the vaccine, everyone needs 2 shots with a population 67m this does not add up.

Even after the injections dont expect to go back to the life you knew, restrictions will still apply or perhaps I should say that your life is not under your control you will need to comply, you will see.

Have look on youtube for tom woods, look for the one with just under 20 minutes, see what you think.

I've said it before but Thailand is toast. They will be amongst the very last of the worlds countries to deal with covid as an ongoing problem, preferring to hideaway until it's all over is just never going to be an option.

It will take years to vaccinate everyone that wants to be vaccinated.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Learning to live with Covid-19 in Thailand means accepting there might be local transmission, accepting some people might get sick.

This discredits the whole article any honest writer would have written: "..accepting people will get sick and some will die."

Utter biased blabber.

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

There is absolutely no clear answer to this, as the entire world grapples with this.

Open the country to external tourism and risk importing it. I would suggest that if that happened the Thai medical infrastructure would collapse with infection rates seen in Europe and the US.

But then you have the equally human tragedy of those businesses that fold and the untold numbers thrown out of work, and as a side note I believe little to nothing of Thai Government figures on unemployment even in the good times, if they don't open!

But then think of the supply side. Folks are hunkered down until this subsides.

Yes maybe there are the diehards, typically single older men, that would come regardless. But families? Regardless of any financial hardships they aren't gonna risk it.

I've said in other threads, I work for an airline, and even domestic 1-2 hour flights are seeing load factors of ~50%, way down from normal, although up from the horrors of earlier this year.

So you think that reluctance to get on a domestic flight translates into a surge of international travel?

Dream On 

This single old man will not come untill the world is back to some sort of normal.Thailand can throw open their borders tomorrow but other nations are not going to allow their citizens to fly there and more importantly back.Sure the seriously rich can travel the world in their private jets and stay in a five star bubble.The great mass of the population are not going to get any of the vaccines until the second half of next year.How long will it take the air travel industry to get back up to speed when they get the green light? The pilots will need to get some hours in and the planes that have been parked up in cold damp airfield's all over Europe will need sorting out,a couple of crashes will bring it all tumbling down again.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, lkv said:

superior human beings

Indeed the god-like king is a major part of asian spirituality and the source for political structures with a strong, undisputed, leader, from the north korean kims and up to the man in the head of china communist party.

But really, we are not here to discuss asian kings and heads of states, a very sensitive subject indeed.

We are here only to discuss the corona restrictions and where they are coming from and why, so we can see when they are going to ease or disapear.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Rancid said:

Thailand is just one of many countries that has been conned to kill its economy in fear of a nasty flu. I don't know what the end game is, whether big resets or just pharma companies banking billions, but as in all things, the well connected are either not affected or benefiting from the carnage. As always the working and middle classes shoulder the burden.

An economy does not work when everyone is sick. This is a good time for Thai to re-orientate themselves.

Mexico is open, how do you think their tourism is doing?

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

Government instigated pandemic paranoia about sums up the current situation in Thailand. There is no way out of the mess they created

Well there is , as the article illustrates, a way out, I doubt that this Thai government will take it though.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ukrules said:

It's already dead, wake up!

It's not going to open up again until most of the country are vaccinated.

You may well be correct but that will be a long time coming and cause devastating damage. What good is winning one battle if the war is comprehensively lost ?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Excellent well thought out article which highlights Thailand’s plight and the amount of work they need to do to prepare for any future opening of International Tourism with any real increase in numbers. 

Moreover it will take a change in attitude, desire and direction from the top to discuss and implement the changes required. 

Will they be willing to do this? Doubtful. They seem to be banking on the vaccine as their miracle cure. My guess they will just carry on the way they are whilst the unemployment numbers increase and recessions hits even harder until such time. 

I pretty much concur , 6 more months of sitting on their hands and then they will begin to cave in. As the article states , the current situation is simply not sustainable.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bodga said:

pah said so  all along you cant hide away forever have to  accept  some deaths and Thais wouldnt  notice anyway with their daily road carnage figures, here  simple  solution,  put all deaths down to covid as roadkill and no one will  bat an eyelid, problem solved

It's quite the perplexing phenomenon the way they handle death and/or the fear of it.It could also be said for the rest of the world and this flu like virus.

23 hours ago, jollyhangmon said:

You don't happen to have a link to that shtick, do you? Can't locate it & would like to re-read but by now would also need bookmarks within my bookmarks, apparently ... 

Sorry for a late reply. For some reason I didnt get a notification of your reply. I trawled through 20 pages on the Coronavirus forum but couldnt find the relevant thread. The chart itself can be viewed at www.ghsindex.org  About 3 quarters of the way down the page. https://www.ghsindex.org/   As that is the chart for 2019, it will be interesting to see how the chart for 2020 will look.

Edited by potless
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, adammike said:

Young people shouldn't need the vaccine and Thailand does have a young population.

Young people can still get and pass on the virus. It's just that they don't get bad symptoms if any. So they pass it on without knowing, to the older people who then die from...................flu, pneumonia, coronary, cancer........certainly NOT Covid. LOL

Edited by Tyler Visan

5 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

Did you read the article ? By the time that a vaccine does its job , the Thai tourist industry will be decimated and perhaps 5 million unemployed 

And it will not when COVID shows up? Or has Thailand a special place in the heart of COVID? LOL

11 hours ago, adammike said:

Young people shouldn't need the vaccine and Thailand does have a young population.

No, it doesn't. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_median_age

The Bangkok Post had an article a year or so ago that pointed out that Thailand hit its highest percentage of college age students in 2010. It was in an article concerned with closing and/or consolidating Thai universities.

6 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

Well there is , as the article illustrates, a way out, I doubt that this Thai government will take it though.

I don't think there is because the govt will not do as the article suggests and that is my point. The level of anxiety over covid is beyond anything manageable at this point. Nothing except full vaccinations for every Thai will alleviate the problem, and Thailand will definitely introduce a no jab no entry policy at some point soon.