Jump to content

Can a Thai wife get at USA assets upon divorce, even if we never go to the USA?


Recommended Posts

On 11/22/2020 at 3:16 AM, ThailandRyan said:

Any marriage in Thailand is officially recognized in the US, and that spouse can be added to any benefits such as US based medical policies, retirement pension benefits and such.  The spouse can also be added as a dependent and a ITN can be obtained for tax purposes as well for the Annual taxes required to be filed.  However, anything obtained outside of the marriage, basically before the marriage, is not attainable by the spouse upon divorce.  50% of assets gained during the marriage, outside of an inheritance that should be put into a family Trust will be attainable.  My prenup for my now ex-wife kept her from obtaining anything except her vehicle and the clothes on her back when she decided to have an affair and left for the millionaire she found.  However, much depends upon how much info you share.

 

Surely only if its recongised by the embassy. A village wedding for example doesn't count.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

yes she can. you will be married.    don't do it, step back from the ledge, you have your whole life ahead of you.   

OP, take the geography out of the scenario. What would be your situation if you married someone tomorrow in the US. Thai wife would theoretically be the same as marrying the girl next door in the

Any inheritance money received by either spouse would remain their personal property (sin suan tua) and could not be claimed by the other in the event of divorce.   Thai CCC section 1471 lin

11 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Only 12 months living together in Oz, do not even have to be married. Trust me, I am the voice of experience.

Yes I thought that was the case I seem to remember it being changed when I was still living there and that is getting close to ten years ago.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

 

Surely only if its recongised by the embassy. A village wedding for example doesn't count.

 

A true marriage, registered at the Amphur is recognized by the US, and there is no such thing as having to register it with the embassy or in the US.  A village ceremony is not a true marriage, but more of a formality allowing in the eyes of the family for you to live as husband and wife, yet you are not legally married, so any property obtained after a village ceremony is unfortunately seen as a gift and not splittable at 50/50 when you split up, as a divorce is not needed.

 

I have been there and done that.  The first GF I never married, and had only a village ceremony.  Walked away with what I could carry in my truck, thankfully I took my refrigerator, washer, dryer, television, and of course the scooter I had bought.  Second GF I actually married, and then we moved to the US where she obtained her US Citizenship after having a green card.  That one I had a pre-nup with, only had a Thai Marriage certificate, and when she cheated and left I had to file the Divorce in the US.  Now the Divorce has to be certified by the US Department of State, Translated to Thai and Certified by the Thai Embassy in Washington DC, then Taken to the MFA here in Bangkok to be legalized, and then off to the Amphur which still has us as married even though she is divorced in the US and remarried.  Until our Thai marriage can be undone at the Amphur she can not register her marriage to her new US Husband if and when they come to Thailand.  That is the only way a foreign marriage it gets registered here in Thailand.  Not the other way around.  A divorce here is also recognized in the US.

Edited by ThailandRyan
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2020 at 9:41 AM, Salerno said:
On 11/22/2020 at 9:34 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

To be absolutely safe, don't officially marry a Thai woman. Village weddings are great- not legal.

 

But doesn't get him the visa/extension he's looking for (reading between the lines).

 

That's what agents are for (and you don't have to marry them either).

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

That's what agents are for (and you don't have to marry them either).

 

Not so easy for the under 50s which the OP is.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

First off inheritance can not be claimed by your wife. Plus what goes on in America should not be mentioned to your thai wife. Don't be the big shot and brag to any thai how super rich you are. My thai wife doesn't have a clue what investments or savings I have. I just told her that when I pass, she will be taken care of. And will never let her know how much it is. If she knew I would be dead by the end of the day. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2020 at 4:16 PM, ThailandRyan said:

Any marriage in Thailand is officially recognized in the US, and that spouse can be added to any benefits such as US based medical policies, retirement pension benefits and such.  The spouse can also be added as a dependent and a ITN can be obtained for tax purposes as well for the Annual taxes required to be filed.  However, anything obtained outside of the marriage, basically before the marriage, is not attainable by the spouse upon divorce.  50% of assets gained during the marriage, outside of an inheritance that should be put into a family Trust will be attainable.  My prenup for my now ex-wife kept her from obtaining anything except her vehicle and the clothes on her back when she decided to have an affair and left for the millionaire she found.  However, much depends upon how much info you share.

Sounds complicated. Simplest answer and the sanest IMO is village wedding or nothing. I wish I'd known about that before I was conned into getting amphur marriage.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/24/2020 at 3:11 AM, Lacessit said:

Only 12 months living together in Oz, do not even have to be married. Trust me, I am the voice of experience.

Women are really clever. When men started only living together with women they changed the rules so they can still ruin their once beloved.

Wish I could go back in time and resist the desire to co habitate with the woman that ruined me financially. I'd be living in my own house now, if I'd done that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...