I have a bank account in UK (barclays) and an SCB account here. I need to transfer money from UK to Thailand.  Is it straightforward bank to bank ?, and are there charges +. I used to go back, withdraw cash and bring back here to exchange. Thanks guys.

• Sad 1
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think the best advice is to use Transfer wise. Easy to set up, cheap and the transactions literally take seconds. There are many threads about it on TV. 

Terrible advice.   SCB is one of the worst....and your debit card will levy separate charges in addition to the SCB charges.   What is worse is that I am sure that you have been ad

The above is very good advice ...  you will get a better overall rate, using TransferWise, when sending money from the UK to a Thailand bank than by any other way ....

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Terrible advice.

SCB is one of the worst....and your debit card will levy separate charges in addition to the SCB charges.

What is worse is that I am sure that you have been advised of much better ways in the past.

I don't see it that way for small amounts my UK bank only charges a small fee and SCB charges 180 baht. 

If I had a large amount to send from UK to my Thai Bank I just ring my UK bank and tell em to send it. 

• Sad 2

Barclays claim it's free to send in Pounds via online banking: https://www.barclays.co.uk/ways-to-bank/international-payments/s-t/

I'm sceptical(expecting a correspondent bank to appear along the line that inflates the cost; but I am cynical)

You can do a test run via online banking to see how it goes. SCB receiving fees are likely around 0.25%, capped at 500 baht, as that is the norm.

10 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

The above is very good advice ...  you will get a better overall rate, using TransferWise, when sending money from the UK to a Thailand bank than by any other way ....

You wont get a "better overall rate" you'll get interbank and there is no higher rate....

Unless Transferwise have slowed down the transfer it normally takes about 10 seconds from my UK bank to SCB if done on weekdays

Edited by Chivas
41 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Terrible advice.

SCB is one of the worst....and your debit card will levy separate charges in addition to the SCB charges.

What is worse is that I am sure that you have been advised of much better ways in the past.

Well no thats not right either lol

The fact its SCB wont make any difference because the rate will be Visa/Mastercard. Whatever their posted SCB exchange rates are will be irrelevant if using a debit or credit card

You wont get a better overall rate you'll get interbank and there is no higher rate....

What was intended, and I thought it was clear,  by that statement was ... you will get more THB transferred into your Thai Bank for whatever amount of GBP you wish to transfer than using any other method  

1 minute ago, Chivas said:

Well no thats not right either lol

The fact its SCB wont make any difference because the rate will be Visa/Mastercard. Whatever their posted SCB exchange rates are will be irrelevant if using a debit or credit card

So far, you've been wrong on both of your posts.

If you go back to the OP's post, you'll note that he withdraws over the counter; being charged 180 baht for the privilege. Only SCB levies that Admin Charge.

8 minutes ago, Chivas said:

You wont get a "better overall rate" you'll get interbank and there is no higher rate....

Unless Transferwise have slowed down the transfer it normally takes about 10 seconds from my UK bank to SCB if done on weekdays

Wrong here too. You don't get 'interbank/spot rate', as Transferwise levies a fee. 

'Overall' was and is correct.

• Like 2
  • Crossy locked this topic