Transfer money from UK bank

I have a bank account in UK (barclays) and an SCB account here. I need to transfer money from UK to Thailand.  Is it straightforward bank to bank ?, and are there charges +. I used to go back, withdraw cash and bring back here to exchange. Thanks guys.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Terrible advice.

SCB is one of the worst....and your debit card will levy separate charges in addition to the SCB charges.

What is worse is that I am sure that you have been advised of much better ways in the past.

I don't see it that way for small amounts my UK bank only charges a small fee and SCB charges 180 baht. 

If I had a large amount to send from UK to my Thai Bank I just ring my UK bank and tell em to send it. 

• Sad 2

Barclays claim it's free to send in Pounds via online banking: https://www.barclays.co.uk/ways-to-bank/international-payments/s-t/

I'm sceptical(expecting a correspondent bank to appear along the line that inflates the cost; but I am cynical)

You can do a test run via online banking to see how it goes. SCB receiving fees are likely around 0.25%, capped at 500 baht, as that is the norm.

10 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

The above is very good advice ...  you will get a better overall rate, using TransferWise, when sending money from the UK to a Thailand bank than by any other way ....

You wont get a "better overall rate" you'll get interbank and there is no higher rate....

Unless Transferwise have slowed down the transfer it normally takes about 10 seconds from my UK bank to SCB if done on weekdays

Edited by Chivas

41 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Terrible advice.

SCB is one of the worst....and your debit card will levy separate charges in addition to the SCB charges.

What is worse is that I am sure that you have been advised of much better ways in the past.

Well no thats not right either lol

The fact its SCB wont make any difference because the rate will be Visa/Mastercard. Whatever their posted SCB exchange rates are will be irrelevant if using a debit or credit card

You wont get a better overall rate you'll get interbank and there is no higher rate....

What was intended, and I thought it was clear,  by that statement was ... you will get more THB transferred into your Thai Bank for whatever amount of GBP you wish to transfer than using any other method  

1 minute ago, Chivas said:

Well no thats not right either lol

The fact its SCB wont make any difference because the rate will be Visa/Mastercard. Whatever their posted SCB exchange rates are will be irrelevant if using a debit or credit card

So far, you've been wrong on both of your posts.

If you go back to the OP's post, you'll note that he withdraws over the counter; being charged 180 baht for the privilege. Only SCB levies that Admin Charge.

8 minutes ago, Chivas said:

You wont get a "better overall rate" you'll get interbank and there is no higher rate....

Unless Transferwise have slowed down the transfer it normally takes about 10 seconds from my UK bank to SCB if done on weekdays

Wrong here too. You don't get 'interbank/spot rate', as Transferwise levies a fee. 

'Overall' was and is correct.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

I think the best advice is to use Transfer wise. Easy to set up, cheap and the transactions literally take seconds. There are many threads about it on TV. 

+1 TransferWise is your best option.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

You'll need to check what Barclays will charge you to send Pounds not Baht. They say free via Online Banking etc, but I am not sure if that is the case when sending Pounds. SCB will have a separate receiving charge.

I can confirm that Barclays do not charge a fee if sending pounds to a F.C.D account via online banking. You will also be offered the option to pay the receiving banks fee at the same time. Costs 8 pounds. Be sure to select Sterling as the currency to be sent .

Edited by potless
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, potless said:

I can confirm that Barclays do not charge a fee if sending pounds to a F.C.D account via online banking. You will also be offered the option to pay the receiving banks fee at the same time. Costs 8 pounds. Be sure to select Sterling as the currency to be sent .

If this is the case, wouldn't that make it cheaper than Transferwise in some cases; since theoretically the only fee would be the SCB receiving fee of 300 to 500 baht?

For instance, sending £3000 with a 500 baht(£12.43) receiving fee. Transferwise charge £16.06.

47 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Small amounts ?

For my convieniance and a few times a year when necessary yes,  small.. 

I use my credit card here as a way of getting UK money mainly. 

My UK pension is paid direct to my Thai Bank. 

I was going to try transferwise once but there was a cap on how much maybe they have changed now. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

I was going to try transferwise once but there was a cap on how much maybe they have changed now. 

It might be ok for 'your convenience', but it's not a good option for the OP. 

If you use your credit card mainly..., then why are you using your debit card?? All very confusing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Interesting ... using a CC to get money ... an expensive way me thinks...

I have moved GBP £9,999, several times. I found that if I went to £10,000+ my bank locked my account.....

4 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:
19 minutes ago, potless said:

If this is the case, wouldn't that make it cheaper than Transferwise in some cases; since theoretically the only fee would be the SCB receiving fee of 300 to 500 baht?

For instance, sending £3000 with a 500 baht(£12.43) receiving fee. Transferwise charge £16.06.

I hadnt considered that people may use Transferwise to send Sterling to a Sterling FCD account here. In the example you give then yes. I havent used Transferwise as I prefer to send Sterling and change it when I want to.

Just now, potless said:

I hadnt considered that people may use Transferwise to send Sterling to a Sterling FCD account here. In the example you give then yes. I havent used Transferwise as I prefer to send Sterling and change it when I want to.

Aaaahhh...you are referring to Sterling to Sterling. We are discussing Sterling to THB, I guess.

5 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

I have moved GBP £9,999, several times. I found that if I went to £10,000+ my bank locked my account.....

Actually no, it's one of the best ways, if you have the right card. Full Mastercard/VISA rate with no withdrawal charges.

8 minutes ago, potless said:

Transferwise will NOT do GBP to GBP, they are an exchange company. Get your GBP into a Transferwise Borderless account and exchange to THB when the rate is good but keep it in your T'wise Account, and send it to Thailand as & when you need it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

It might be ok for 'your convenience', but it's not a good option for the OP. 

If you use your credit card mainly..., then why are you using your debit card?? All very confusing.

Debit cards need the money in the bank.

Look you advice to other is OK but of no use to me. 

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

Yeah different ways different banks and some banks are different and some people like to do things different or the way that's different from other people. 

I'm happy with my Thai living money situation which is probably different than others. ???? ???? ???? ????

6 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Debit cards need the money in the bank.

Look you advice to other is OK but of no use to me. 

My advice is for the other. ???? You can do whatever you want with your money. It's what you want others to do that is of concern.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rocky123 said:

I have a bank account in UK (barclays) and an SCB account here. I need to transfer money from UK to Thailand.  Is it straightforward bank to bank ?, and are there charges +. I used to go back, withdraw cash and bring back here to exchange. Thanks guys.

I send bank to bank every month - Lloyds to Bangkok Bank, I generally lose £9.50 for sending , 1.50 baht off the general exchange rate (yeah, I know I'll amend it to transferwise one day) and about 200 baht dissappears into the thai bank wilderness ! Hope that helps with general figures