thread with real costs for golf club membership playing 3 times/week

Replying to Scubascuba3  I thought the topic was about comparing the cost of courses across Thailand not comparing them with another country. 1250 baht for a round of golf here is pretty good in my opinion. 

If I lived in the UK I'd be using additional matrix e.g. How many times could I reasonably play during the long, cold, dark, wet October - February period (certainly not 3 times a week on average); what about the additional cost of weather/water proof clothing; what sort of additional pressure would I be putting on my body pulling my own cart or carrying a bag and several more, like the cost of fuel to travel to the course; the availability of good showers; and the attitude of the retired bank managers, civil servants and colonels (also called the committee) with their old fashioned ideas about dress code on the course and in the club house.  

So, in answering the original post I've restricted my feedback on the original question ("it could be interesting to see how other clubs compare " ) and offered my opinion on whether I find it comparatively good or not 

Edited by Griffo63
additional text
  • Like 2
44 minutes ago, Griffo63 said:

Replying to Scubascuba3  I thought the topic was about comparing the cost of courses across Thailand not comparing them with another country. 1250 baht for a round of golf here is pretty good in my opinion. 

If I lived in the UK I'd be using additional matrix e.g. How many times could I reasonably play during the long, cold, dark, wet October - February period (certainly not 3 times a week on average); what about the additional cost of weather/water proof clothing; what sort of additional pressure would I be putting on my body pulling my own cart or carrying a bag and several more, like the cost of fuel to travel to the course; the availability of good showers; and the attitude of the retired bank managers, civil servants and colonels (also called the committee) with their old fashioned ideas about dress code on the course and in the club house.  

So, in answering the original post I've restricted my feedback on the original question ("it could be interesting to see how other clubs compare " ) and offered my opinion on whether I find it comparatively good or not 

A simple question, I'll answer for you, around £1,000 UK vs £5,000 Thailand using your example

• Confused 1
On 11/23/2020 at 5:35 AM, TigerandDog said:

It's a complete waste of money paying for golf club memberships at any golf course in Thailand as you don't really receive any benefit for being a member. Membership ideally should mean free green fees, no caddy fee and at least 2 members competitions per week for which a comp fee of 500 baht should be paid. Clubs do not provide these services to their members. For Thais it's nothing more than a status thing to be able to say they are a member of a golf club. 

Played Springfield in Hua Hin a few years back and we were joined by a member . Soon found out he spends 4 months in Hua Hin and golfs 3 times a week at Springfield but usually plays alone . I asked why he didn't participate in member events and found out that none were offerred . He was very happy to play with us that day as it made the round more pleasant . Played the following week and joined by another member and same story . So much for benefits of membership .  They club can't be arsed to even put a weekly comp together .

Joining a club in Thailand is a matter of prestige or convenience , It is not an economically driven decision . 

BTW people who calculate playing 3 times a week must have unbeleivable constitutions to play in the 44C heat of April and May followed by the monsoon season .

• Like 1
16 hours ago, smylee52 said:

BTW people who calculate playing 3 times a week must have unbeleivable constitutions to play in the 44C heat of April and May followed by the monsoon season .

The group I generally play with has a couple of guys who do that and they are all over 60.......