What's is up with Subarus pricing?

Millian

Currently looking for a small SUV and comparing the CX-30 and the Corrola Cross, then someone mentioned the Subarus. I always thought they were quite expensive as not made in Thailand, but went on thier website and saw that the XV starts at 970,000 and the Forester starts at 1,030,000.

So I popped to the local showroom and they tell me the XV is 1.2m and the Forester is 1.4m. I showed them the pricing on the website and they tell me that that doesnt include the price of the warranty and some other additional things that must be purchased with the car.

Why would they advertse them as 30% less then they actually are on the website? Why wouldn't they advertise them as the actual price, as all other manufacture do? I checked some price comparison sites such as zigwheels and priceprice, and they also list them at the lower price.

I imagine they must get quite a few people walking straight out of the showroom as I did when they find out the actual price.

So they are advertising the price without tax? (and then seemingly in my case making it look like it's actually a value add, warranty, etc).  Isnt that a bit odd? They must get so many people just walking out. (unless is common knowledge)

I originally thought that was the case with the tax and why i hadn't considered them, but someone mentioned they were now made in Thailand, so the tax was less.

Edited by Millian
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Why would you buy a car that it will be difficult to sell when the time comes? look around you, how many Subarus do you see? exactly.. so think again...

Possibly. But they are quite popular in the US. Resale is quite low here, which puts me off. The 2.0 is an underperforming engine also. It needs the 2.5 at least, or a turbo. 

9 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Possibly. But they are quite popular in the US. Resale is quite low here, which puts me off. The 2.0 is an underperforming engine also. It needs the 2.5 at least, or a turbo. 

Could you give a link to an example of low resale?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

I never understood the value of that kind of sales gimmick as it serves to p*** people off... or at least would me...

that said, with climate change and all - Subarus are good in the snow.

Nearly all, if not all prices for goods and Services in Thailand are pre Tax 

Add 7% VAT to all for a truer picture of the correct price on everything from your Monthly Internet charge to Electric Etc Etc

• Confused 2

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

... The boxer engine used by Subaru is renowned for its durability. ...

And for many years (~ 1999-2011) the 2.5-liter SOHC engine was renowned for head gasket leaks.  And some 2010-2018 Subarus are prone to CVT problems.

On 11/22/2020 at 3:55 PM, Lacessit said:

Could you give a link to an example of low resale?

That's all relative. You culd compare asking prices on one2car.com  to sometime like the honda hrv (2018) - At that year, the xv and hrv askign price is about the same, but the original price of the xv something like 150K higher. Unfortuantely, comparisons are difficult, as there are no real competitors with 4wd in this price range. image.png.6de4e03988e549eff1d30dda1ac5d130.pngimage.png.a33523a31783d7b80bb6be3b29cd6928.png

2 minutes ago, DavisH said:

That's all relative. You culd compare asking prices on one2car.com  to sometime like the honda hrv (2018) - At that year, the xv and hrv askign price is about the same, but the original price of the xv something like 150K higher. Unfortuantely, comparisons are difficult, as there are no real competitors with 4wd in this price range. image.png.6de4e03988e549eff1d30dda1ac5d130.pngimage.png.a33523a31783d7b80bb6be3b29cd6928.png

Assuming the odometer readings are similar, I'd say at 80,000 baht cheaper the Subaru is a much better buy. They have been making 4WD vehicles a lot longer than Honda, they made the decision to focus on 4WD systems 24 years ago.

Honda and Toyota have long been the vehicles favored by Thais. It's like Honda with scooters, it's the premium brand. Personally, I can't pick the difference between a Honda and a Yamaha.

Public perception is partly due to marketing. IMO Mitsubishi make vehicles just as good as anything Toyota and Honda make; however, their marketing has always been woeful.

"What's is up with Subarus pricing?"

The website also states this under the published prices...

"Recommended retail price only the car   Options and accessories are not included. The company reserves the right to change terms and conditions without prior notice".

Or perhaps the dealer that you went to just did not have basic models in stock to offer?

Edited by Tick Nurner

18 hours ago, DavisH said:

That's all relative. You culd compare asking prices on one2car.com  to sometime like the honda hrv (2018) - At that year, the xv and hrv askign price is about the same, but the original price of the xv something like 150K higher. Unfortuantely, comparisons are difficult, as there are no real competitors with 4wd in this price range. 

Isn't it pretty easy to compare?

Instead of comparing the actual price, look at what % the price has fallen from the original price?

Edited by Millian

On 11/22/2020 at 3:21 PM, ezzra said:

Why would you buy a car that it will be difficult to sell when the time comes? look around you, how many Subarus do you see? exactly.. so think again...

i was parked in the pink elephant temple car park yesterday in a row of 10 cars there were 2 foresters parked opposite me, a new model and the model before.