I'm sick of driving my pickup truck. Any ideas about what I should buy next?

bbabythai

The new isuzu MuX just came out top model about 1.7milj baht very nice car lots of safety options on it and 3.0l good drive ,every small town and big city have servicestations parts easy to come by . Go have a look at a dealer and have a testdrive i think you will like it . If your in europe you could go for benz or bmw but here the prices are just crazy and parts difficult so when have a problem and need to order parts will take a long time + the model you buy is mostly standard no options when want options prices even mor ridicoulos .

17 hours ago, samtab said:

So many of you on the forum who owned benz, porsche, bentley, etc...

but still prefer a Japanese can...

Funny all you !

I think you’ve worded that incorrectly/ 

So many on the forum who’ve owned benz, porsche, bentley, etc in their home country but refuse to pay the elevated prices here in Thailand.

In Thailand, people who own Japanese car’s don’t want to pay the elevated prices for a BMW etc its not because they prefer Japanese cars.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

The new isuzu MuX just came out top model about 1.7milj baht very nice car lots of safety options on it and 3.0l good drive ,every small town and big city have servicestations parts easy to come by . Go have a look at a dealer and have a testdrive i think you will like it . If your in europe you could go for benz or bmw but here the prices are just crazy and parts difficult so when have a problem and need to order parts will take a long time + the model you buy is mostly standard no options when want options prices even mor ridicoulos .

Its still based on a pick-up ‘ladders’ chassis.... 

The Op appears to be looking to depart from a pick-up type ride to more of a ‘car based ride’, which would involve a monocoque chassis.

As the Ops currently ride is quite old any of the newer Pickup based SUV options may suit him.

The MUX is definitely worth a test drive, as is the Ford Explorer, Mistu Pajero, Toyota Fortuna. 

But, if the Op is looking for something more ’soft road’ his SUV options are more Honda CRV, Mazda CX-5 and CX-8, and Nissan X-Trail... Or of preferring something SUV’ish and dropping in size to the Honda HRV, Mazda CX-30. 

If looking for ’Sedans’ the options for the Op are Honda Accord and Civic, Toyota Camry and Vios, Nissan Tiana.

If the Op doesn’t mind going second hand (2 yrs old etc) he then opens himself up to the European cars. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

On 11/23/2020 at 3:56 AM, Lacessit said:

German cars in Thailand cost 2-3 times any Japanese make in terms of servicing and spares costs.

People buy German cars because they think that gives them status. The ship sailed long ago with respect to product quality and technology, any innovation is picked up worldwide by car manufacturers and incorporated in their designs. The only Germans that can be called superior are the flagship cars, such as a BMW 7 series or Mercedes AMG65. A Kia Stinger kills the Mercedes SLK200 on performance.

Before you go calling me a liar, I used to own a Merc. Couldn't wait to get rid of the <deleted> thing, it was a money pit.

I like the new BMW 730.

On 11/23/2020 at 11:46 AM, transam said:

Fortuner don't drive like a Revo...Hmmmm, I thought the drive train, steering and all the major mechanical parts were the same except the rear coil springs and it being a bit shorter. Can you tell me the differences you notice..? 

Did you find problems with the 2.4 engine, my friend has a 2.4 manual Revo, he told me it has more go than his 3.0 auto Fortuner...?

I had a hilux vigo manual 3.0 2007 model

Bought a revo 2016  2.4 engine manual again.

Fuel economy is much better in the revo which isnt such a surprise as my old 3.0 was thirsty

The  2.4 revo is much quicker off the mark and way smoother

Dont get me wrong they are both boats when cornering.

kind of like it though .

Honda CRV top spec or Mazda CX5 top spec, both AWD, both very reliable

But dont buy new, go for 1 to 2YO with (genuine) low km's and a log book that verifies it's km's ie: Dealer stamps on each service

If possible buy private from a farang, too many dodgy dealers in Thailand and all know how to wind back odometers

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chilly07 said:

My Isuzu Dmax 4door is way more comfortable than any saloon especially on Thai roads except in the back seats which do bounce you around like a saloon

i couldnt disagree with you more. I sat in the brother in laws dmax for 3 hours once. had a sore butt. 

go and sit in the back seat for 3 hours

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Back on topic, the OP's old pickup may have the original hard rubber and shocks? A set of new tires and new shocks can be had for around 7,000-10,000 baht per set. New tires and shocks and I bet she'll ride just like a bought one (again).

what about the rock hard seats?

• Haha 1

Someone posted a Volvo saloon they had bought recently and it was a hybrid I think . Was a really nice looking car and think just over 2m bht . If looking for slightly used then look around Bkk at the dealers there for used cars . Wife went to a few places and couldn’t believe the amount of Audi’s ,bmw and mercs there was to pick from that were immaculate looking . She had her eye on a q5 that was only around 1.6m or something and looked like new from the pics she showed me . 

6 minutes ago, ronaldo0 said:

Someone posted a Volvo saloon they had bought recently and it was a hybrid I think . Was a really nice looking car and think just over 2m bht . If looking for slightly used then look around Bkk at the dealers there for used cars . Wife went to a few places and couldn’t believe the amount of Audi’s ,bmw and mercs there was to pick from that were immaculate looking . She had her eye on a q5 that was only around 1.6m or something and looked like new from the pics she showed me . 

Those Volvo hybrids are very quick off the mark.... I’ve been seeing plenty of deals.

V60 T8 hybrid / 407hp / 0-100kmh in 4.6 sections / 2.29MB

XC-60 T8 hybrid / 407hp / 0-100kmh in 5.3 sections / 2.99MB

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its still based on a pick-up ‘ladders’ chassis.... 

The Op appears to be looking to depart from a pick-up type ride to more of a ‘car based ride’, which would involve a monocoque chassis.

As the Ops currently ride is quite old any of the newer Pickup based SUV options may suit him.

The MUX is definitely worth a test drive, as is the Ford Explorer, Mistu Pajero, Toyota Fortuna. 

But, if the Op is looking for something more ’soft road’ his SUV options are more Honda CRV, Mazda CX-5 and CX-8, and Nissan X-Trail... Or of preferring something SUV’ish and dropping in size to the Honda HRV, Mazda CX-30. 

If looking for ’Sedans’ the options for the Op are Honda Accord and Civic, Toyota Camry and Vios, Nissan Tiana.

If the Op doesn’t mind going second hand (2 yrs old etc) he then opens himself up to the European cars. 

Nissan isn't selling the X-Trail in Thailand anymore.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Those Volvo hybrids are very quick off the mark.... I’ve been seeing plenty of deals.

V60 T8 hybrid / 407hp / 0-100kmh in 4.6 sections / 2.29MB

XC-60 T8 hybrid / 407hp / 0-100kmh in 5.3 sections / 2.99MB

Yeah I think it was a s60 model , the guy said it was quick when using the combined engine and hybrid. Was a really nice looking car in white and well built looking .

19 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

..... now there’s a thought to add more melee into the mix... 

You can get a 2015 BMW F02 730 model for less than 2MB.

https://www.one2car.com/en/for-sale/bmw-730li-bangkok-metropolitan-liab-duan-ram-inthra-kasetnawamin/6957944

Now that's a nice car for a nice price.

I've been looking at a 2015 Mercedes Benz S300 for a similar price.

I prefer the MB but looking at the 7 series BMW now.

2 minutes ago, VYCM said:

Stick with the Benz, you could get mistaken for plain clothes immigration with a grill like that......????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I didn't like the Maybach's looks either which was the main reason I didn't buy one.

A good friend of mine swore by his Hyundai Tiburon but I still wouldn't be seen dead in it.

They don,t make them in hearse models, so you are safe

• Haha 1

I been on holidays in the truck (2013 WT 2.2) last week with the family.

Drove from Pattaya to Tak the 1st day, app 600km and that was okay.

Then after a week in North Thailand we drove from Chang Rai to Pattaya in one go (+920km), it took app 11 hours and it was too much, my legs started going limp and had to stop more often and get out and walk about. That evening at home, I felt very fatigued and was out walking in the neighborhood before going early to bed.  

I am thinking about getting a Mazda cx30 or cx5 next year, I don't want a 3 row seater, despite I like the Everest a lot, but it's just too big.

A bit tempted getting a Volvo with over 400hp but there are no dealers in Pattaya so that's a no go.

13 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Then after a week in North Thailand we drove from Chang Rai to Pattaya in one go (+920km), it took app 11 hours and it was too much, my legs started going limp and had to stop more often and get out and walk about. That evening at home, I felt very fatigued and was out walking in the neighborhood before going early to bed.  

I am thinking about getting a Mazda cx30 or cx5 next year, I don't want a 3 row seater, despite I like the Everest a lot, but it's just too big.

A bit tempted getting a Volvo with over 400hp but there are no dealers in Pattaya so that's a no go.

Volvo X series are lovely cars.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ronaldo0 said:

Yeah I think it was a s60 model , the guy said it was quick when using the combined engine and hybrid. Was a really nice looking car in white and well built looking .

There was a poster who bought a white V60 ... I think at the Motor Show that was held just about a year ago.

Wife and I did the Volvo test day held earlier this year. V60 is quick, and ride ok. S90 very nice. For hammering around the S60. XC60 quite desirable.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Motor Expo starts beginning of December at 'Impact'  Muang Thong Thani. Go and have a good look at what is on offer. I wouldn't be put off no dealers in Pattaya as if it breaks down they will pick it up as part of sales package.

We have an Everest ... it is big, we use it with the last row of seats down which gives loads of luggage space.  

• Like 1

On 11/22/2020 at 6:55 PM, AlexRich said:

I’d buy a decent 4X4 ... Everest, Fortuner, Mitsubishi, Honda.

As much as I like BMW and Mercedes, they seem to be double the European price? I wouldn’t pay that.

In the case of the 3 series BM, I've never quite worked out the cost in Thailand - given that they're built in Chonburi.

2 hours ago, VYCM said:

Is that a Bluetec hybrid? I think that model has had a few problems. There will be a forum for that model, may very well be worth a read. Look at the service book or whatever to see which year it actually is. Many 'S' Class owners and others keep the Red Plate for quite some while, years in fact!

I considered quite hard a 2nd hand PHEV but the car for me, was just too big for the traffic and parking ... YMMV ... 

I know that BKK Bang Na have several second hand examples in their upstairs showroom. be expensive, but negotiable, so maybe worth a look. Go around lunchtime and you will probably be offered a small meal ????

• Thanks 1

The OP has now had some quite good options suggested, along with push bikes and an Issan tractor!

Lets leave this topic open for a little longer to see if anything else turns up that hasn't already been suggested, but I suspect that in the nine pages it has.

• Like 1