I'm sick of driving my pickup truck. Any ideas about what I should buy next?

bbabythai

I bought a Tuk Tuk for the missus, my son and I sat in the back

laughing as she crunched the gears going back and forth in car parks

and traffic lights, people would stop and stare as she got progressively

red faced. A whole heap of fun, but the floods got it in the end.

Certainly recommnded to the OP.

On 11/22/2020 at 2:45 PM, bbabythai said:

I've had Toyota pickup truck for several yrs and told I can get 500k trade in. 

It was in the smash repair shop for a month getting a full re-spray. During this time I was driving a sporty BMW. The first day back in my pickup was horrible. I couldn't believe how unsafe I felt. Bouncing all over the place and so high up. It didnt feel right and now I want to change cars. 

I have finished doing renos on our building and now dont really need the pickup tray as much. Sometimes I do like driving to a lake area that has dirt roads. I suppose I could get away with an ALL wheel drive option and not a 4WD.

If I had a million to put towards a new car (maybe 1.5mill) plus the 500k trade what would you recommend?

thanks

Toyota Fortuner. High up is good on the worst roads in the world, one of the most reliable vehicles on the road, strong if you do have a prang, and comfort is amazing compared to hi-lux. I've had several of both going back to the early models.

P.s  and lots of room inside and rear in case you need it.

1 hour ago, VYCM said:
10 hours ago, SW Happy said:

High up is good on the worst roads in the world

You obviously haven't travelled.

He clearly meant the most dangerous roads in the world, statistically.

Which... is somewhat debatable for a car as motorcycles account for 76% of the road fatality stats. 

Thus, it would be interesting to see ‘realistic statistic’ applied to road safety i.e. Road accidents / fatalities per KM driven in a 4 wheeled vehicle and compare that same stat to other countries. 

Then there is the debate regarding whether higher up is safer at all. In seating higher up in an SUV type vehicle you can see further ahead, over other smaller vehicles, thus safety may be improved, however, rollover is a higher risk and thus there is greater risk to safety. But, an SUV is usually a larger vehicle with more great protection / space around the occupants, however etc etc... the debate could rage on endlessly. 

The reality: sitting higher up may just be nicer !

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

I like the new BMW 730.

I like a private jet ,but geuss those and the new BMW 730 you cannot buy for 2milj as that is the OP's spendings . Looked at the merc cls 53 amg turbo 4matic yesterday costs 5.4 milj that's about the same price as in europe they are starting to build them here now so prices on mercs will drop . 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

He clearly meant the most dangerous roads in the world, statistically.

Which... is somewhat debatable for a car as motorcycles account for 76% of the road fatality stats. 

Thus, it would be interesting to see ‘realistic statistic’ applied to road safety i.e. Road accidents / fatalities per KM driven in a 4 wheeled vehicle and compare that same stat to other countries. 

Then there is the debate regarding whether higher up is safer at all. In seating higher up in an SUV type vehicle you can see further ahead, over other smaller vehicles, thus safety may be improved, however, rollover is a higher risk and thus there is greater risk to safety. But, an SUV is usually a larger vehicle with more great protection / space around the occupants, however etc etc... the debate could rage on endlessly. 

The reality: sitting higher up may just be nicer !

Ive travelled all over the world Pal and been driving for 40 years including HGV trucks of which I own 20, also driven high end cars such as Bentley, Mercs, BMW etc, sure they're luxurious and the best comfort you can get, but for me being able to see over most other vehicles ahead of you gives you a greater safety advantage, and in something like a Fortuner the comfort isn't far off the higher end prestige cars, and the strength is right up there too. As for them turning over easy that would definitely be down to  inexperienced driver.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, SW Happy said:

Ive travelled all over the world Pal and been driving for 40 years including HGV trucks of which I own 20, also driven high end cars such as Bentley, Mercs, BMW etc, sure they're luxurious and the best comfort you can get, but for me being able to see over most other vehicles ahead of you gives you a greater safety advantage, and in something like a Fortuner the comfort isn't far off the higher end prestige cars, and the strength is right up there too. As for them turning over easy that would definitely be down to  inexperienced driver.

Another "I am a billionaire who owns many ferrari but I prefer to drive my fortuner"...

how funny you can be !!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

I like a private jet ,but geuss those and the new BMW 730 you cannot buy for 2milj as that is the OP's spendings . Looked at the merc cls 53 amg turbo 4matic yesterday costs 5.4 milj that's about the same price as in europe they are starting to build them here now so prices on mercs will drop . 

A friend bought his E class in 2008 and paid about 4.2 million for it. Now you can buy them for about 1 million less. 

The E class has been built in Thailand for a while ... CKD.

• Like 1

I now think that the OP has had sufficient suggestions to be able to decide where to go next.

If you want to go on debating SUV versus prestige car, etc etc why not start a new topic.

So I will close this one

• Haha 1