Where to sunbathe in Bangkok?

azaazo9

Is there any public pool, or somethhing like that (but not in hotels), where one can sunbathe? We have a pool in our building, but it is under the roof.

So, where to sunbathe? Or it is mission imposible in this city?

Please, refrain from advices that sunbathing is not healthy, that it brings cancer, etc.

Edited by azaazo9
  • Confused 3

LOL is this a joke? I guess it is not. There is like endless places to sunbath in Bangkok but assuming you want to be in a bikini etc. your best deal with be at a hotel or condo building where you pay a monthly amount. I personally just have keycards of a few condo's where my friends have units. 

Bangkok is very big too, not sure which area you looking for. I actually think it would be relatively easy to strike a monthly deal now many condo's are so empty (was it wasn't that difficult before already too). Like 500-1000 baht a month or something (likely incl a gym / sauna too).

P.S. Are you sure there isn't a rooftop you can access on your building if the pool isn't there? 

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Thanks 1

There is a small rooftop pool at the Sathorn Saint Hotel, I think 100-150 for a day of pool use.  About 300m behind St Louis.  There is a path that goes there next to the Family Mart at Surasak, but look at GPS.  Not the Hilton by any stretch, but it has a good vibe.  Great garden up there, and panoramic views.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, azaazo9 said:

And I don't understand why my question is strange or funny?

Asian people like white skin, so by sunbathing you make yourself less attractive, which is contrary to what most people would do.

If you would ask on some western website which whitening creme is the best, people there would probably also think it's funny or strange.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

The problem being is that you go to somewhere public in a pair of shorts, put a towel down and take off your shirt and start soaking up rays - then suddenly you find a body blocking your sun and a member of The Farang Puritan Decency Patrol has taken offence at seeing bare skin and has come by to tell you to stop being indecent in this highly conservative country as sunbathing in public is no doubt triggering every Thai who walks by.  All of which is nonsense.  Most Thais could give a rip.  Farangs being farangs.  As long as your not parading inside a Thai temple shirtless public sunbathing is pretty much your own business.  Well, unless you're spotted by The Farang Puritan Decency Patrol. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Asian people like white skin, so by sunbathing you make yourself less attractive, which is contrary to what most people would do.

If you would ask on some western website which whitening creme is the best, people there would probably also think it's funny or strange.

People can be comical.
White people in Thailand hang out in the sun to get brown.
Brown people in Thailand stay out of the sun and use all sorts of creams to get white.
Talk about Cosmic Humor at its finest.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, moontang said:

There is a small rooftop pool at the Sathorn Saint Hotel, I think 100-150 for a day of pool use.  About 300m behind St Louis.  There is a path that goes there next to the Family Mart at Surasak, but look at GPS.  Not the Hilton by any stretch, but it has a good vibe.  Great garden up there, and panoramic views.

It's a serviced apartment, not a hotel and it's called Sathorn Saint View.

17 hours ago, moontang said:

They have been doing nightly rentals for years, so they do have a hotel license.  

Maybe they do have that licence bit she specifically did not want a "hotel" and SSV services are only available for registered guests, not the general public for a fee.  From their website (and my knowledge of living there)...

"Remark: All service & facilities are reserved for only apartment guests".

2 hours ago, Tick Nurner said:

Maybe they do have that licence bit she specifically did not want a "hotel" and SSV services are only available for registered guests, not the general public for a fee.  From their website (and my knowledge of living there)...

"Remark: All service & facilities are reserved for only apartment guests".

Oh, I should have added, there are way too many English Teacher types in that area.  Perhaps, you and your partner would be more comfortable in Chiang Mai. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, moontang said:

Oh, I should have added, there are way too many English Teacher types in that area.  Perhaps, you and your partner would be more comfortable in Chiang Mai. 

I don't understand, you mean me and my partner/husband? If yes, well, we are not teachers, or digital nomads, we both have jobs in Bangkok, so please don't send us to Chang Mai. And the fact that I prefer big, public swimming pools, has got more to do with atmosphere, than with English Teacher lifstyle. 

Edited by azaazo9
  • Haha 1

On 11/22/2020 at 1:49 PM, azaazo9 said:

Is there any public pool, or somethhing like that (but not in hotels), where one can sunbathe? We have a pool in our building, but it is under the roof.

So, where to sunbathe? Or it is mission imposible in this city?

Please, refrain from advices that sunbathing is not healthy, that it brings cancer, etc.

Why not sunbathe on the beach?  "What?", you say, "A beach in Bangkok?".  "Yes!".  There is actually a beach in Bangkok and I've been there but it was many years ago.  It used to be listed on paper maps and it was rather stony and oily, but there it was and I've seen it.  No tourists were on it though.

On 11/23/2020 at 2:49 AM, azaazo9 said:

And I don't understand why my question is strange or funny?

Because avoiding the sun here is more difficult than finding it...?

Bangkok is 20-45 degrees of latitude closer to the equator than the northern or antipodean countries where most of us grew up, so people with fond memories of the warm feeling of sunbathing in Oslo, Chicago, or Rome quickly find that sunbathing in Southeast Asia is more like being baked in an oven and roasted to a crisp.

There is a pretty big swimming pool at Trinity Silom. You can sunbathe there. Should be pretty close to you.

It is in the old hotel building, not the more newly built one. Its a 3-star hotel, and a bit dated, but has a pretty nice old-style vibe with marble etc. Its clean. Day passes are around 300 I think. You also get access to a small gym, and the mens room has a very nice sauna so I assume the women have one too. 

On the floor below the pool there is an outdoor running track, tennis court and a nice garden.

I dont understand this talk of whitening cream and hating on teachers, too many bitter ppl with nothing to do I guess.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Just about anywhere. Strange question.

Really, where then? 

if the Op doesn’t have a pool at his place, where can he go? 
Some hotels may allow for 500 b a day entry, but must do not & the Op specified no hotels, so he clearly doesn’t want to pay much. 
I know of a couple of public pools, but none with sun loungers 

What’s the op to do - get down to his skivvies in Lumpini park ? 

So... enlighten us ?  Anywhere, where then ? 

• Like 1