What is the best free internet phone service?

After years of sending emails and FB messages to my friend in Australia I now realise (yeah, I'm slow) that I could be making phone calls. What's a good free service that allows me to call them and possibly have a video connection as well?

• Like 1
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We Chat is a Chinese run platform with suspicion that they collect data and spy on their users. Up to you..

I find Wechat the best  

For privacy reason, I am using Line. Anything related to Facebook is a no-go. Facetime is Apple, and that stuff will never step in my house (or mobile).

Posted Images

Don't forget you also need a good internet provider at both ends.

What I find confusing as an "at last" Smart phone user is the differences on the conversation in both forms, voice and message.

I have Whatsapp and LINE on my laptop and phone.    I have Skype on my laptop but only used a few times in the past for contacting family in UK.  My children in UK have both Whatsapp and LINE.

5 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

If both parties have Facebook messenger you can call and even have a Video call for free.  

Have tried that, but I keep getting message that contact is "unreachable", whatever that means.

2 hours ago, terry Meltham said:

I find Wechat the best

Wechat is a Chinese app and 100% controlled by Chinese government... goodby privacy

Edited by Mavideol
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, giddyup said:

Have tried that, but I keep getting message that contact is "unreachable", whatever that means.

Basically it means that the person does not have Facebook Messenger turned on.  For a conventional phone service try Viber.  Cheap phone calls like 2 cents  USD per minute.  You can even get unlimited for $4.99 per month. 
image.png.7354750ff4ccba33d2a3271a0042ba3d.png

• Thanks 1

use what you already know, FB messenger, you can call or facetime with them

Have tried that, but I keep getting message that contact is "unreachable", whatever that means

mean that they are not online, they turn off FB/messenger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1