Alternative ways to get Bank SMS from UK rather than have Postpaid Account/ Monthly Subscription

Richrd

Hi, I pay two (wife and I) monthly subscriptions to Vodafone in UK for the occasional SMS /text message for Bank and other UK based One Time Passwords (OTPs). Option A: is I go to pre-paid, although I need to go back to UK to do this, Option B: is what I'd hoped to hear about if somebody has cracked this, perhaps an online service that allows for routing messages or similar, or maybe a good providor in UK that can deal with overseas applications / management. Thanks for any input.

1 minute ago, Richrd said:

Hi, I pay two (wife and I) monthly subscriptions to Vodafone in UK for the occasional SMS /text message for Bank and other UK based One Time Passwords (OTPs). Option A: is I go to pre-paid, although I need to go back to UK to do this, Option B: is what I'd hoped to hear about if somebody has cracked this, perhaps an online service that allows for routing messages or similar, or maybe a good providor in UK that can deal with overseas applications / management. Thanks for any input.

With my UK banks I changed my registered phone number to my Thai number. Receives OTPs fine.

• Like 2

I used to use one of the WorldSim SIM Cards https://www.worldsim.com/international-sim-cards?___store=eu

What you get with every SIM

Wherever you are from, you can stay connected for less in up to 200 countries and reduce your international roaming charges by up to 95%.  Use a WorldSIM global SIM card when you travel internationally and you will get low cost rates around the world.  All of our global SIM cards are compatible in any unlocked device and they are triple punched so they fit any SIM slot (i.e. standard, micro and nano).  Our SIM cards are free, you only pay for any credit you want to add - credit will not expire as long as you use your WorldSIM once a year  - so can use it for life, every time you travel.

Easy to buy / top-up online, I got my 1st one on a flight as part of a Morecard device that allowed me to have a 2nd SIM with my IPhone (never really worked) & the 2nd one I bought whilst I was living in Singapore both had UK numbers.  

Edited by Mike Teavee

5 minutes ago, Snow Leopard said:

At some point they will question your residency no? I think most banks as part of their T&C's require a UK contact phone number. 

I use Santander and Halifax. They have had my Thai number for 5 or more years and neither have or have asked for a UK number. Why would a bank question my residency?

14 minutes ago, polpott said:

I use Santander and Halifax. They have had my Thai number for 5 or more years and neither have or have asked for a UK number. Why would a bank question my residency?

Because to have a UK bank account you need to be a UK resident. Resident not National. So you must have a UK registered address with the bank. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, polpott said:

With my UK banks I changed my registered phone number to my Thai number. Receives OTPs fine.

Same here. Until fairly recently Halifax Bank couldn't (or maybe wouldn't) send International SMS. However, they do now. Might be worth the OP checking (if hasn't already done so) as such things may have similarly changed with his bank(s). 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, polpott said:

I do. All my correspondence is sent to a UK address.

Nationwide have my Thai address and send letters to me here. Take about a month to read what I have already read on my internet banking. I think there is an option to cancel them.

Isn't English strange, REED and RED are both spelled READ!

8 minutes ago, Snow Leopard said:

Because to have a UK bank account you need to be a UK resident. Resident not National. So you must have a UK registered address with the bank. 

Not my experience.

I am a UK national but not UK resident and have accounts with Halifax / First Direct / Nationwide in the UK. All have Thailand as my registered address. Only Nationwide has an issue with using my Thai telephone number for OTP's, but I do have a UK mobile number, so not a problem for me. However, I did set up the accounts when I had a UK address but subsequently advised them of a change to a Thailand address, with my details updated on their system. Certainly setting up an account with a UK bank without a UK address can be problematic as a number of recent topics on the subject indicate.

I have been contacted by the banks in respect of the Fatca regulations and requested to provide evidence of tax residency (TIN). I indicate this as being Thailand (Retirement extension) and advise that, as I do not work in Thailand I have no need for a TIN. This has been accepted, so far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dabhand said:

Not my experience.

I am a UK national but not UK resident and have accounts with Halifax / First Direct / Nationwide in the UK. All have Thailand as my registered address. Only Nationwide has an issue with using my Thai telephone number for OTP's, but I do have a UK mobile number, so not a problem for me. However, I did set up the accounts when I had a UK address but subsequently advised them of a change to a Thailand address, with my details updated on their system. Certainly setting up an account with a UK bank without a UK address can be problematic as a number of recent topics on the subject indicate.

I have been contacted by the banks in respect of the Fatca regulations and requested to provide evidence of tax residency (TIN). I indicate this as being Thailand (Retirement extension) and advise that, as I do not work in Thailand I have no need for a TIN. This has been accepted, so far.

Fair enough. I would like to know though anyone who has set up a UK bank account with a debit card whilst being a non resident of the UK and with who? Also what constitutes a proof of address with UK banks. I always have issues with this. I have heard it might be possible to get round it with some of the new online banks. 

1 hour ago, Snow Leopard said:

I would like to know though anyone who has set up a UK bank account with a debit card whilst being a non resident of the UK and with who?

That is the difficult bit - setting up (or opening) an account while not resident.  Holding on to one is straightforward though.

why not get one giffgaff sim card, use for all text messages, they will send to Thailand, or someone on here could have a spare, only one paying communication required every 6 months to keep the number alive, ie text message sent by you or a quick call made, i think a top up would do the trick as well.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Richrd said:

In addition to what has been written; there would be no need to go back to the UK to switch to Pre-paid. I don't know what gave you that idea.

They might send the new SIM to your UK address. You'll just need someone to forward it to you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snow Leopard said:

Fair enough. I would like to know though anyone who has set up a UK bank account with a debit card whilst being a non resident of the UK and with who? Also what constitutes a proof of address with UK banks. I always have issues with this. I have heard it might be possible to get round it with some of the new online banks. 

Yes when I got stranded here in March surprisingly opened two Metro Bank accounts in under an hour after 20 years away ????  

As text messages are free to receive abroad why do you not make your sim pay as you go and receive the one time only text messages?

Sometimes a PAYG text messages will not go international so you need to check this out with Vodafone.

Skype call Vodafone and ask them if you can keep using the SIM you have. I'm pretty sure they need to change the SIM to a PAYG SIM though ????

Edited by ThaIrish Sean

20 hours ago, Snow Leopard said:

Not true. I am a UK citizen and I bank with HSBC. For 10+ years, my registered address/phone number with the bank is my Thai address/phone number. I don't have a UK address. New credit/debit cards are sent directly to me here. As someone else pointed out, it could be challenging to open a NEW UK bank account without a UK address.

Edited by Mutt Daeng

Thanks guys as always on ThaiVisa some good solid responses and idea complemented with experience. I reviewed Zadarma and WorldSIM, the key for me is to maintain my number also through porting my number. Vodafone told me to move from post to pre paid (PAYG) I'd have to be in UK , I think for the new sim to be registered.  I will ping them again. 

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2020 at 8:25 AM, Mutt Daeng said:

Not true. I am a UK citizen and I bank with HSBC. For 10+ years, my registered address/phone number with the bank is my Thai address/phone number. I don't have a UK address. New credit/debit cards are sent directly to me here. As someone else pointed out, it could be challenging to open a NEW UK bank account without a UK address.

But i am assuming that you had this account originally whilst living in the UK?