What are all those beautiful lights in the sky ?

Speedo1968

I have lived here ( about 50km south of Khon Kaen ) for some years.
This time of year this year I have never seen the sky so clear.
I live in place with fields around.
Every evening from dusk until the next morning there are so many stars and planets ( much larger than the stars ).
Orion's belt ? was so so clear, amazing !
Other lights seem to be following the moon.

Can any give simple info as to what is in the sky this time of year ?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

Every evening from dusk until the next morning there are so many stars and planets ( much larger than the stars ).

A lot ...

Btw , planets out of our solar system cannot be seen as they do not emit light .

heic1509a.jpg

• Like 2

I live in KHon Kaen and can probably not see nearly as much due to light pollution, but stil immensely enjoy the night sky. The brightest (or one of) object in the sky I found is Mars. I wish I can share pictures here that I took of it. It's wonderful.

• Like 1

Just now, Eibot said:

I live in KHon Kaen and can probably not see nearly as much due to light pollution, but stil immensely enjoy the night sky. The brightest (or one of) object in the sky I found is Mars. I wish I can share pictures here that I took of it. It's wonderful.

Screenshot_20201122-204848_Camera.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, katana said:

Download and install the free Stellarium software. It's a free open source planetarium for your computer. It shows a realistic sky in 3D, just like what you see with the naked eye, binoculars or a telescope. Once you put your location in (Khon Khaen) it will show you the night sky view as you look out your window.
I used it recently to locate Jupiter, its moons, Saturn and Mars recently as they came to their closest approach to Earth.
http://stellarium.org/

Thank you for that download. I live out in the boonies past Phibunmansahan and watch the sky nightly.  Have little to no light pollution except when the moon is past a 1/4. I'll download that and great topic. Yes Orions belt was one that stood out greatly but I noticed others were more prominent last night too. Eclipse on Sunday. 

Another good app to download is the goISSwatch, it tracks the International space station in real time and gives to a 1 minute warning of when it is passing over and in view.

It is not due over my location again until 9th December @ 19:04.

16 hours ago, katana said:

NoDownload and install the free Stellarium software. It's a free open source planetarium for your computer. It shows a realistic sky in 3D, just like what you see with the naked eye, binoculars or a telescope. Once you put your location in (Khon Khaen) it will show you the night sky view as you look out your window.
I used it recently to locate Jupiter, its moons, Saturn and Mars recently as they came to their closest approach to Earth.
http://stellarium.org/

Unfortunately the mobile version, infinitely more useful, is not free. Still looks like a nice app. Thanks

3 hours ago, Adiudon said:

Another good app to download is the goISSwatch, it tracks the International space station in real time and gives to a 1 minute warning of when it is passing over and in view.

It is not due over my location again until 9th December @ 19:04.

The ISS will be transmitting slow scan TV (SSTV) images on 1st and 2nd December.  It will pass over my location in north Laos, and I'll try to receive/post these images.

• Thanks 2

On 11/23/2020 at 4:37 AM, Speedo1968 said:

Very strange you should say that - I'm not in Thailand, I'm in the UK but a couple of nights ago (Sunday I think), I woke up around 3am and took a look outside.  I live in the countryside and there's very little pollution so the sky is usually pretty clear.  On Sunday, I can only describe the sky as amazing - it was like the photos you see of the stars. Everything was accentuated and there seemed to be far more stars than usual. I've lived in the same village for 33 years and I've never seen a sky like it.

On 11/24/2020 at 12:33 PM, nervona81732 said:

Thank you for that download. I live out in the boonies past Phibunmansahan and watch the sky nightly.  Have little to no light pollution except when the moon is past a 1/4. I'll download that and great topic. Yes Orions belt was one that stood out greatly but I noticed others were more prominent last night too. Eclipse on Sunday. 

Is that an eclipse of the moon or sun ?