Woman thrown clear of pickup, dies, in wet-road wipeout

webfact

Woman thrown clear of pickup, dies, in wet-road wipeout

By Eakkapop Thongtub

1606104864_1-org.jpg

Rescue workers at the scene on Saturday night (Nov 21). Photo: Kusoldharm Foundation

PHUKET: A 22-year-old woman died after she was thrown out the window of a pickup truck that spun out of control on a wet road and slammed into a school brick fence in Mai Khao on Saturday night (Nov 21).

Police and rescue workers were called to the scene, in front of Baan Tha Chatchai School on Thepkrasattri Rd northbound, in Mai Khao, at 8:30pm.

At the scene was a heavily damaged Toyota Hilux Vigo pickup truck half-wheel deep in water from a mains valve the pickup truck had hit.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/woman-thrown-clear-of-pickup-dies-in-wet-road-wipeout-78067.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-11-23

29 minutes ago, jinners said:

You can't blame the government for the first, but certainly the rest. Along with kids sitting in the lap of the front seat passengers. Are people so unaware of the carnage coming from such choices? After all these years!

Said it many times...."you can't fix stupid".

And so sad that a young woman lost her life.

Edited by xylophone
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, jinners said:

You can't blame the government for the first, but certainly the rest. Along with kids sitting in the lap of the front seat passengers. Are people so unaware of the carnage coming from such choices? After all these years!

You can blame the government, to a certain extent.

Lack of information about the importance of seatbelts filtering down to the masses. Lack of adequate enforcement are the obvious ones. But also, lack of effective policies. 

Think of most modern cars - Annoying beeping sounds will alarm when someone sits in the drivers or passenger seat without a seat-belt. Why not in locally assembled pickups ???? - because its not a Thai law. 

Even worse, why do these same alarms on exist for the rear seats, even in the EU ??? - because the governments have not legislated for that. In this modern age alarms for the rear seats something we really should have in every vehicle. Why not? bottom line, cost. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Lack of information about the importance of seatbelts filtering down to the masses. Lack of adequate enforcement are the obvious ones. But also, lack of effective policies. 

Think of most modern cars - Annoying beeping sounds will alarm when someone sits in the drivers or passenger seat without a seat-belt. Why not in locally assembled pickups ???? - because its not a Thai law. 

Even worse, why do these same alarms on exist for the rear seats, even in the EU ??? - because the governments have not legislated for that. In this modern age alarms for the rear seats something we really should have in every vehicle. Why not? bottom line, cost. 

There's already an easy way round that annoying beeping sound. Take your pick

Screenshot_20201123-162201_Lazada.jpg

2 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Perhaps if EVERY motoring infraction meant the vehicle was impounded for 1 month and the driver banned for a minimum of 3 months the message might just get through to those with no brains

Every province in Thailand would need a very LARGE compound to keep those impounded vehicles.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, poohy said:

Presumably she was sitting in the passenger seat, so its not surprising she's dead if you at the mess she made of the truck as left through the window.

A seatbelt would have probably saved her life

My Thai MIL refused to wear a seat belt (she explained she does not use them). So I replied no seat belt no ride. A few weeks ago my wifes cousin died when she was thrown out of her pick up driven by her husband. Another four month old girl who will not have the chance to say Mummy. Probably the father will disapear and leave the children with the poor grandparents.

7 hours ago, steve187 said:

RIP,

lack of airbags, seat belts not used, children un restrained, people carried in the beds of pick ups, the list is endless, road safety is well down the list of priorities 

You forgot the main problem The Incompetent Drivers.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Would be better if the car didnt start until you lock the seat belt

5 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Perhaps if EVERY motoring infraction meant the vehicle was impounded for 1 month and the driver banned for a minimum of 3 months the message might just get through to those with no brains

The pickup will be in the panel shop for atleast 6months anyways.

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

They still find it somewhat "funny" when I urge passengers to buckle up.

I once showed the granddaughters videos about seat bealt vs. no seat belt.

I doubt I could convince them. Amulets are more effective.

From the "education" videos at the DLT I can not remember a scene of buckling up.

Edited by KhunBENQ

6 hours ago, jinners said:

I'm one and that's not my view. Or are you referring to a certain nationality of truck driver? In which case that isn't restricted to trucks.

The ones blowing out black smoke to show off their <deleted> rides are capable to outrun a Ferrari! ????

11 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

They still find it somewhat "funny" when I urge passengers to buckle up.

I once showed the granddaughters videos about seat bealt vs. no seat belt.

I doubt I could convince them. Amulets are more effective.

From the "education" videos at the DLT I can not remember a scene of buckling up.

dont show video, show it in real time. take them on a ride and hit the breaks, smile and say, told you so. if it not work, reped till the brain realies it.

Edited by huuwi
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Why does the EU carmakers produce public road cars that mostly exceed 200kmh?  Seems a bit irresponsible?

• Haha 1

On 11/23/2020 at 2:27 PM, richard_smith237 said:

If you remember the original post, the "1st one" was airbags. So many vehicles on the road don't have these as they're an older vehicle and they were not standard at the time. Please read full string for relevance.