Embassy letter for new 60 day extension

Hello, I have  just come back from my local imo in Uttaradit.

I was told that i must have a embassy letter for a 60 day extension, I know this is not correct.

I can't find the announcement from Immigration confirming this.

Ubonjoe could you kindly forward it to me.

Many thanks

1 minute ago, Katey said:

Really, i understood that i could apply for a 60 extension of stay just like the 30 before.

I'm sure i have seen you post no letter required for 60 day extension!

It appears some people are able to get them at some offices on signing an affidavit.

Sadly we're all confused. I thought the 60 day extension was decided. Only when it comes to extension time again and I check the forum here I'm left worried that it might not be possible.

What we know as far as I can tell:

- at end of last amnesty period several news sources stated (or at least implied) that we can continue to apply for 60 days extensions until we can return home safely/borders are open/etc.

- at least two embassies (UK and US) are stating that you can get 60 day extension and do not need an embassy letter and can sign an affidavit if you cannot leave for whatever reason

- Chiang Mai immigration is either refusing extension or giving 30 days, according to reports.

- MTT in Bangkok are issuing 60 extensions to most people reporting

- those that missed the last amnesty deadline already have stamps at the end of December, leaving those who got organised with less time than those that didn't

That's as far as I can remember. There have been other reports from other IOs but I haven't read anything.

Does anybody have anything to add to this list?

9 minutes ago, SteezyP said:

Sadly we're all confused. I thought the 60 day extension was decided. Only when it comes to extension time again and I check the forum here I'm left worried that it might not be possible.

- at end of last amnesty period several news sources stated (or at least implied) that we can continue to apply for 60 days extensions until we can return home safely/borders are open/etc.

- at least two embassies (UK and US) are stating that you can get 60 day extension and do not need an embassy letter and can sign an affidavit if you cannot leave for whatever reason

- Chiang Mai immigration is either refusing extension or giving 30 days, according to reports.

- those that missed the last amnesty deadline already have stamps at the end of December, leaving those who got organised with less time than those that didn't

That's as far as I can remember. There have been other reports from other IOs but I haven't read anything.

The simple truth is some offices are giving them without Embassy Letters and some are not

Just came back from CM immigration moments ago and was told I needed embassy letter. Had the signed affidavit but did not suffice. Funny, the helpful guy outside checking all the docs also did not mention any need for the letter and he looks through all docs to get it right. Might have something to do that I am on an O visa based on marriage and not tourist visa or what have you. Now....I don't know.

6 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Just came back from CM immigration moments ago and was told I needed embassy letter. Had the signed affidavit but did not suffice. Funny, the helpful guy outside checking all the docs also did not mention any need for the letter and he looks through all docs to get it right. Might have something to do that I am on an O visa based on marriage and not tourist visa or what have you. Now....I don't know.

Was there any mention whether the letter needs to be dated recently? I have one from previous amnesty end.

Phuket are providing an affidavit with four options for reasons for wanting to stay in or not being able to leave Thailand, one of which is not being able to get an embassy letter (not really making sense but then..) and seemed to give visas to all applicants yesterday. Seven day 'under consideration' stamps then apparently a further 7 week stamp after that, which my wife reckons is designed to put off those who don't want to pay 1900 baht twice..

I have just come back from Hua Hin Immigration

Embassy letter was asked for - they accepted the one I first used in September - no affidavidt (sp) I just filled in a normal tourist visa extension form

I told them that I knew people who will be going there with no letter because the Embassy is not issuing them - her advice was to email the Embassy anyway and then print off the sent email and the auto reply that states they are no longer issuing letters and include them with your application

Cost 1900 Baht - 15 days under consideration stamp - I/O said I will be given until January 29

On 11/23/2020 at 1:09 PM, SteezyP said:

Hi  you are damn close to what is happening .. 

here is what i was told ..

i started with the  trump virus  extension  errr i mean the covid 19 30 day extension  subject to further 30 day exts ..  

but what happened in the office that day was ...  my covid ext/visa was converted to a temp visa .. good for more 30 day ext  sorry no name for visa 

my next 30 day i went in with embassy letter (at the time supplied ) all good  .. i got another 30  .. next trip i went to CM immigration for it .. they gave me most of the usual paperwork  PLUS a letter that asked why i need more time .. very easy peasy form ..  all done  .. 

now my us embassy does not give letters  ..

questions just ask me .. hopefully my experience will help 

2 hours ago, ifmu said:

Hi  you are damn close to what is happening .. 

here is what i was told ..

i started with the  trump virus  extension  errr i mean the covid 19 30 day extension  subject to further 30 day exts ..  

but what happened in the office that day was ...  my covid ext/visa was converted to a temp visa .. good for more 30 day ext  sorry no name for visa 

my next 30 day i went in with embassy letter (at the time supplied ) all good  .. i got another 30  .. next trip i went to CM immigration for it .. they gave me most of the usual paperwork  PLUS a letter that asked why i need more time .. very easy peasy form ..  all done  .. 

now my us embassy does not give letters  ..

questions just ask me .. hopefully my experience will help 

Thanks for this. I guess the letter asking why you need more time was the affidavit?

Just one more question... can you go back end of Dec and get another extension again? If so and if it applies to me (UK passport) too it might just save me money on the agent I'm about to use.

On 11/24/2020 at 1:40 PM, katatonic said:

Seven day 'under consideration' stamps then apparently a further 7 week stamp after that, which my wife reckons is designed to put off those who don't want to pay 1900 baht twice..

So they cost 3800.... sorry if you posted that elsewhere?

19 hours ago, SteezyP said:

Thanks for this. I guess the letter asking why you need more time was the affidavit?

Just one more question... can you go back end of Dec and get another extension again? If so and if it applies to me (UK passport) too it might just save me money on the agent I'm about to use.

CW told me on monday that the Covid extensions will only be available until 30 November then are being withdrawn

On 11/24/2020 at 1:40 PM, katatonic said:

Phuket are providing an affidavit with four options for reasons for wanting to stay in or not being able to leave Thailand, one of which is not being able to get an embassy letter (not really making sense but then..) and seemed to give visas to all applicants yesterday. Seven day 'under consideration' stamps then apparently a further 7 week stamp after that, which my wife reckons is designed to put off those who don't want to pay 1900 baht twice..

@katatonic so Phuket is only giving 1+7 weeks extension and not the full 60 days by the looks of it?

Folks, I'm from USA and that embassy no longer provides letters. What immigration wants, for what reason other than to cause trouble I cannot ascertain, is proof that your embassy doesn't provide letters. I printed out the attached screenshot which I took from the US embassy/consulate in Chiang Mai website and that sufficed and I got a 60 day extension based on Covid. Without that printout, I was denied.

1623998319_ScreenShot2020-11-23at3_29_45PM.thumb.png.0cb54b3349a6aa370c6d00c3253e1ca1.png

4 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Folks, I'm from USA and that embassy no longer provides letters. What immigration wants, for what reason other than to cause trouble I cannot ascertain, is proof that your embassy doesn't provide letters. I printed out the attached screenshot which I took from the US embassy/consulate in Chiang Mai website and that sufficed and I got a 60 day extension based on Covid. Without that printout, I was denied.

1623998319_ScreenShot2020-11-23at3_29_45PM.thumb.png.0cb54b3349a6aa370c6d00c3253e1ca1.png

Did they provide you with the "affidavit" to sign as is being done in some other imm offices?

20 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Hi, which office did you use in CM, airport or Promenada? 

I'm on a one month Tourist Visa, issued in March, and just received my 'under consideration' stamp for an additional 60 day extension at Muang Thong Thani. Others in my position received the same. It was handled quickly and efficiently, and everyone in Immigration was both helpful and understanding, as most of the rest of the world is way behind Thailand in terms of dealing with the pandemic. I am quite grateful to both Immigration and the Thai Government for their understanding and kindness in these unprecedented times.

MTT has a document package ready as one enters the building, which includes an application, an affidavit asking why one requests the extension, and a document where the applicant acknowledges his or her understanding of the penalties for overstay.  As reason for the request, "Covid-19" is sufficient, even if flights out might be available.

Applicant must provide photocopies of the photo/data page in the passport, plus photocopies of the TM6, the previous extensions granted, and the original entry stamp. Applicant also should be able to supply a TM30, which anyone staying in a hotel already has in the Immigration system, as the hotel has filed it. Add one photo and 1900 baht, and the 'under consideration' stamp is highly likely.

I was asked if I had a return ticket, which I do, and which has been either cancelled or rebooked several times. I did not have a copy of it, but Immigration did not demand it.

I did two things to address the Embassy letter question, and both were welcomed by Immigration, as it seems to complete the bureaucratic requirements. I provided a copy of the letter I had received previously from the Embassy, and I brought a copy of a recent email sent to me in response to requesting a new Embassy letter. Though I know the Embassy was not issuing new letters, the return email stating that was welcomed by Immigration. It would not hurt any applicant to do the same.

On 11/23/2020 at 2:57 PM, SteezyP said:

Was there any mention whether the letter needs to be dated recently? I have one from previous amnesty end.

I used my old Embassy letter at Hua Hin Immigration 2 days ago - they said nothing about it and processed my application

22 hours ago, SteezyP said:

Hi, which office did you use in CM, airport or Promenada? 

Airport. Let me also say I am on an "O" visa based on marriage. My last 60 day extension was to visit my Thai wife. I would have been applying for the year extension based on marriage but my wife was not available to go to immigration with me (she was in the hospital) so luckily the Covid extension was available. Not sure if my "O" visa status makes any difference.

4 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Airport. Let me also say I am on an "O" visa based on marriage. My last 60 day extension was to visit my Thai wife. I would have been applying for the year extension based on marriage but my wife was not available to go to immigration with me (she was in the hospital) so luckily the Covid extension was available. Not sure if my "O" visa status makes any difference.

Thanks for the info. Actually I went there yesterday and got the 60 days extension. So I'm happy now ????

Archived