Long weekend generates B300mn for Phuket, says TAT

webfact

Long weekend generates B300mn for Phuket, says TAT

By The Phuket News

1606107940_1-org.jpg

Tourists take a group photo in Phuket Town over the weekend. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) Phuket Office Director Nanthasiri Ronnasiri has announced that the long weekend from last Thursday through to yesterday (Nov 19-22) has delivered a welcome boost to the island’s economy.

In total 53,970 tourists had come to Phuket over the four days, generating an estimated B300 million in revenues, Ms Nanthasiri said.

Of note, the figures given for the weekend indicate that the average expenditure per person was about B5,558.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/long-weekend-generates-b300mn-for-phuket-says-tat-78068.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-11-23

I call bullsh*t... Not possible. What I don't get is, why just make stuff up? Kamala had a few people for a festival, and most of those people spent quite a bit. But there weren't 60,000 people on the island. Not even close

• Like 2

TAT is  a Brit word for carp goods. Quite appropriate that they have this acronym as they are normally spouting carp. I wouldn't believe a word they publish.

Saying that though the airport was significantly busier when I flew out on Friday and flew back today. Sorry that I'm not able to placate the naysayers on here as I did not do an individual head counts (which I could have done in July) but I reckon there were probably over 300 people (at least) in the departure lounge going out.  Bkk Airways, and the AA flight that arrived the same time as us, were not far off full this afternoon, as was the Vietjet flight. Domestic arrivals was pretty busy.

Despite the normal naysayers belittling it domestic tourism IS increasing- there was a hell of a lot of traffic on the way to Patts on Friday afternoon as well.

Can the various municipalities come up with other attractions other than food festivals? The festivals may succeed in attracting a few customers to the beaches for cheap food, but the bigger impact is they take away customers from the few existing restaurants that are struggling to survive. Restaurants employ locals, buy produce locally, pay rents, pay taxes and pay utilities. Food festivals offer  municipalities a short term supply of small amounts of cash from stall rental only.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Jwalt said:

I call bullsh*t... Not possible. What I don't get is, why just make stuff up? Kamala had a few people for a festival, and most of those people spent quite a bit. But there weren't 60,000 people on the island. Not even close

You've confused "spent" with "income generated." Common mistake here used for bashing TAT, so we see it throughout this thread.

Edited by BigStar

1 hour ago, bloodyholly said:

Can the various municipalities come up with other attractions other than food festivals? The festivals may succeed in attracting a few customers to the beaches for cheap food, but the bigger impact is they take away customers from the few existing restaurants that are struggling to survive. Restaurants employ locals, buy produce locally, pay rents, pay taxes and pay utilities. Food festivals offer  municipalities a short term supply of small amounts of cash from stall rental only.

Thats exactly what happened this weekend in Rawai where a million food stalls descended on Rawai beach front I drove along the front around 5pm and it was quiet but absolutely nowhere to park and I thought then these restaurants are going to do no business from what I could see these food stalls had no seating areas,

The staff in Amazon confirmed my thoughts people thought they could bring food from the beach and use Amazon's tables and chairs I see they had put signs up "For Amazon Customers Only" so I think every other place along the front suffered, That was really bad planning