The British Law Firm - is it closed? I need to prove I am still Alive For UK Pension

dsfbrit

Hi there

I usually go to Kevin Harper at British Law to get my 'Proof Of Life' document signed so that I can continue to receive my pension.

He has not replied to my emails and the phones are dead.

So I suspect he has closed down?

Does anyone know what has happened to Kevin and/or could you recommend someone who

would stamp this form for me.

A lawyer's office would be best, but I don't want to be ripped off like once happened some

years ago. 3000 baht for a signature and a stamp!!

Kevin used to charge 1000 baht

Thanks for your help

I just used the lady in the agency that rented me my Condo. Just get her to use her offices tamp. 

Also used the local doctor. No problems, delighted to help. 

Just explain. If you have a Thai partner, take them with you. 

Don't try the police! 

All free. 

No problems at all. 

Don't let people rip you off! 

• Like 1

As a European

Last time i did mine at Pattaya police station , just put 300 baht in envelope .....and asked to one of the reception lady's  (could see the envelope countenance ...) ,  quick sign she made to the officers window behind her ...., and no waiting straight inside ..(even when he was buzzy with a farang lady case..)  

Before immigration did it, but now stopped , so had to change ...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, david555 said:

As a European

Last time i did mine at Pattaya police station , just put 300 baht in envelope .....and asked to one of the reception lady's  (could see the envelope countenance ...kept discrete ) ,  quick sign she made to the officers window behind her ...., and no waiting straight inside ..(even when he was buzzy with a farang lady case..)  

Before immigration did it, but now stopped , so had to change ...

My country only accept from officials not from "mercenary's" ....lol ????

Edited by david555

13 minutes ago, dsfbrit said:

Hi there

I usually go to Kevin Harper at British Law to get my 'Proof Of Life' document signed so that I can continue to receive my pension.

He has not replied to my emails and the phones are dead.

So I suspect he has closed down?

Does anyone know what has happened to Kevin and/or could you recommend someone who

would stamp this form for me.

A lawyer's office would be best, but I don't want to be ripped off like once happened some

years ago. 3000 baht for a signature and a stamp!!

Kevin used to charge 1000 baht

Thanks for your help

Darren at Key Visa will sign it for you for 500 baht.

• Like 1

Just now, vogie said:

Have used Thai Euro Law office the last couple of times for the POL letter. They also charge 500 baht and are just up from Key Visa towards Sukhumvit Road.

• Like 2

Don't know where in Pattaya you are but the Dr in the 24 hr Emergency Clinic next to Kasikorn bank on Nern Plawb Wurn (spl) only charged me 300 Baht, he speaks & writes good English and is most helpful.

I then sent it back using Thai post EMS track & signed for, took about 10 days, 

• Like 1

I have been told the Police Station will do it.

One of the Insurance Brokers will do it free for the Expats Club members.

Key Visa for a fee.  Someone previously stated 500 baht but the website says 1000.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the replies.

I went to Darren at KeyVisa.

I mentioned the 500 baht for ThaiVisa members - he wasn't interested in that at all.

He charged 1000 baht - fair enough.

I am 66 years old and this is the first time I have received a UK State pension, so I will probably find someone who will do this each yearfor 500 baht or less.

The problem this year is that I did not realise I had to provide this POL information at all as I had filed the letter.

I had 16 weeks from August 3rd to return the POL letter and that is 28th November - in 5 days time.

So I was in a bit of a hurry!

Thanks again for your help.

16 hours ago, dsfbrit said:

I mentioned the 500 baht for ThaiVisa members - he wasn't interested in that at all.

He is more involved with 'The Expats Club' these days and may be prepared to make some concession to their members. He isn't a fan of this forum.

Jack045K

That may explain why he looked at me like I was a bad smell when I mentioned Thaivisa and - he gruffly said it was 1000 baht. :).

He had plainly advertised that price on his website, so it was fair enough.

I was a member of the Expats club 17 years ago when I first came to live in Thailand. I did not know it was even still running - although I think it split into 2 groups didn't it?

I am about to take 3 pensions in total that I will have to have these POL letters for, so I will find somewhere cheaper for next year.

500 baht seems fair enough for this 5 minute task.

I will try the lawyer suggested by Dabhand for the next one - just up the road from KeyVisa.

Come to think of it, I do my car insurance with AA Insurance, I wonder if they will do it. They are just up the road from KeyVisa as well and I renew my insurance every November, so at the same time as I will have to do this POL next year.

Thanks again to everyone for the replies.

22 hours ago, dsfbrit said:

I was a member of the Expats club 17 years ago when I first came to live in Thailand. I did not know it was even still running - although I think it split into 2 groups didn't it?

Wow, you are going back some time to when PEC and PCEC made the split. The PEC meets at the Amari on Friday mornings, the PCEC is at The Holiday Inn next door on Wednesdays, but I hear the latter are having venue problems.

As said, AA have a competitor who will stamp a letter for free for PEC members and likely PCEC, but I would be interested to hear if AA will do it too, as I use them also.

On 11/23/2020 at 7:50 AM, dsfbrit said:

Thanks for all the replies.

I went to Darren at KeyVisa.

He charged 1000 baht - fair enough.

I am 66 years old and this is the first time I have received a UK State pension, so I will probably find someone who will do this each yearfor 500 baht or less.

The problem this year is that I did not realise I had to provide this POL information at all as I had filed the letter.

I had 16 weeks from August 3rd to return the POL letter and that is 28th November - in 5 days time.

So I was in a bit of a hurry!

Thanks again for your help.

Okay, here is the real answer, anyone who is retired and had a job in Financial services, or retired Police etc can sign, you do not need  stamp at all. Just get the person signing to send his retired Services number and it will be accepted every time.   I am a retired Bank Official and have been signing these for past 5 years without issue.  ....next time!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2020 at 12:55 PM, vogie said:

Do you know any retired UK Civil Servants, there must be plenty in Pattaya, along with retired bank managers and other groups they can sign and I'm sure most, if not all, would do so for free.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, theoldgit said:

Do you know any retired UK Civil Servants, there must be plenty in Pattaya, along with retired bank managers and other groups they can sign and I'm sure most, if not all, would do so for free.

Quite correct!  

They'll probably accept any reasonably respectable person. I used a PhD teacher I knew, technically a Civil Servant, which fell under the guidelines, cos she works at a government school. If you don't know any reasonably respectable person, perhaps you need to rethink your life in Thailand, ha! Just joking. It can get difficult finding a "respectable" person when you retire and lose the work contacts, most of the guys/gals I know work at the local market.