Poll suggests Thais are less concerned about Covid-19 - mask wearing down considerably

webfact

1 hour ago, phantomfiddler said:

Now I avoid such people and immediately head upwind.

Good idea. Even before covid-19 my ex-employer was encouraging staff not to shake hands at the start of a shift and to just bump fists and that was at the start of the typical flu season.

On the basis that coughs & sneezes spread diseases I have always been wary of others nearby clearly sick and now even more so - not to mention air quality. Masks will be the new normal so better stock up and changes our ways.

4 hours ago, keith101 said:

I was inside a 7 store the other day when a woman started to come in without a mask on and was quickly told to leave and get a mask before coming back , obviously didnt have one as she got on her motorbike and left .

I was in a 7 store yesterday no mask no problem can go shopping

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Walter Travolta said:

But wearing masks hasnt saved the economy

no mask has salvaged the economy here or anywhere else on earth, but they have saved lives. I  do think  there are many folks who would rather see more death than less commerce, in that regard covid has been a real eye opener and also confirmed my take on humanity in general.. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Excellent news. The mask wearing, at this point is tiresome and inane. There is NO COVID in Thailand. So, why all the paranoia? I get wearing a mask in the US, or Europe. But here? Seems excessive, paranoid and based on fear mongering. 

Someone likes the word "inane".....a lot....

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

My local Tesco will only allow me to enter if I have a mask. yet once inside, I see many customers have removed them, or wear them at "half mast" as do many of the Tesco employees. Totally ridiculous!. No Covid in Thailand (so we are told) for the past 3/4 months so abandon the mask wearing rule. Totally farcical!

Oh that doesn't surprise me one molecule.  

6 hours ago, ericdiam said:

Open the borders urgently with ALL risk free countries. Many have zero or close to zero new cases for many many months

Some countries may not be reporting any/many COVID cases because they're not looking or testing for it. This is an issue where no one particularly wants to be at the top of the list, except for the U.S., which intentionally does. But Thailand likely fits into the "don't ask/don't tell" box to some extent.

Beyond that, it's getting pretty hard these days to find many significant tourist-producing countries that aren't having COVID problems,  hence the reality that all kinds of different so-called travel bubble plans that have been put forward haven't materialized, as with this latest example close to (TH) home:

The much-hyped Hong Kong-Singapore 'travel bubble' is postponed amid Covid-19 spike

(CNN) — The highly-anticipated Hong Kong and Singapore "air travel bubble" was postponed Saturday -- less than 24 hours before it was due to launch.

The bubble would have allowed quarantine-free, air travel between the two Asian hubs. But a spike in coronavirus infections in Hong Kong means the arrangement will be postponed for two weeks, said Edward Yau, Hong Kong's secretary for commerce and economic development, at a press conference Saturday.

Hong Kong reported 43 new coronavirus cases on Saturday, the highest daily spike in over three months. Among them, 36 were locally transmitted -- including 13 that are untraceable.

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/hk-singapore-travel-bubble-delay-intl-hnk/index.html

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I don’t know anyone else who washes their mask every evening, I don’t know anyone who disposes of their disposable mask at the end of the day (except for medical personal). 

How many other folk on this forum use their disposable mask once before binning it, or uses a disposable mask once (i.e for one day) before washing it ?

My comments are not so much a complaint, more of an observation of a flaw related to wearing masks. 

So many are old, dirty, unwashed etc that they present greater risk. 

I’m ok with wearing a mask wherever required and happy to comply, but I am left wondering how hygienic they are when I often forget to change a mask or replace a disposable mask with a new one.

I'm not a super fan of masks, but did buy enough for about 6 months use. Single use CE certified masks and they go in the bin after each use. Use 1 in the morning 10 minutes in the bus And throw it away. Use 1 afternoon getting home from work, and that's 10 minutes in the bus and then I keep it on while shopping and then it goes in the bin after shopping. 

No masks needed outside yet here in DK. 

So only use about 15 masks or week. 

Don't go out much during these times. 

Reusing single use masks is just plain stupid.

I'm not saying masks are very effective, but atleast wear them like it's supposed to, to prevent transfer of virus from mask to surfaces. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Oldie said:

You are complaining - okay. But why don't you stop to act like everyone else? I clean my mask every evening.

As does my Thai wife... Although, she has multiple pairs of re-usable cloth masks, and rotates them for wear when outside every day.

It's really NOT that tough or complicated to follow a bit of simple public health advice/guidance.

• Sad 1

Several posts with false information/claims about mask wearing and masks have been removed.

Please also take note of the following which is pinned at the top of the Covid-19 Forum:

UPDATED NOTICE TO MEMBERS POSTING ON THAIVISA AMID COVID-19 - 25 MARCH 2020

In addition to the guidelines posted below and those detailed in the Thaivisa forum rules and following the announcement that Thai government will invoke emergency powers in order to help deal with the COVID-19 situation in the country, Thaivisa requests members posting on the forum to abide by the following:

Do not post news or any form of content, including video, audio, images, social media posts that contains messages that may cause people to be afraid or intentionally distort information, causing misunderstanding during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Any posts or topics which our moderation team deems to be scaremongering, deliberately misleading or has been posted to deliberately distort information will be removed without warning. You may also be subject to a posting suspension or have your profile permanently suspended from the site.

Nice to see so many people toeing the junta line. No Covid in Thailand because testing is miniscule. Somehow, Burmese going back home have been found to have the disease. Can't imagine how they got it. I think I will continue to wear mine as a precaution until the vaccine is used on everyone in Thailand.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Migrosmarket said:

If God had meant us to breath through a fine cloth he would have built us with webbed faces.

If god had meant you to give intelligent responses to anonymous webforms, he’d have given you greater IQ !!!! :cheesy:

(sorry, door left wide open, couldn’t resist the cheeky jibe, pls don’t take it personally!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Excellent news. The mask wearing, at this point is tiresome and inane. There is NO COVID in Thailand. So, why all the paranoia? I get wearing a mask in the US, or Europe. But here? Seems excessive, paranoid and based on fear mongering. 

Nonsense. If you don't test much you'll find no covid, for sure.

Same like children's play. I stand in front of you and you'll close your eyes....you can't see me but I'm still there.

Dream on, little boy!????

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Mask wont protect, the up comming vaccin will not completely protect. No matter were you are, you have to deal with the fact that corona is here and will stay. From that point of view i think that the western world is sooner trough the worst and Thailand will be at the beginning of dealing with this virus or keep their borders shut and destroy their economy completely. The whole world have to go trough the sour part and people will die. Accept it. All the opinions and all the numbers wont change this simple fact.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Only 88% of people with symptoms were wearing masks down from nearly 95%.

Hmm... What does this mean?  88% of people in Thailand with symptoms were wearing masks yet we do not have any domestic cases in Thailand.  Seems a bit contradictory. 

• Like 1

The larger upscale malls seem to still be insisting on them; although even months ago there were idiots walking around inside them (several farangs, somewhat scruffy unkempt ones, seen at Paragon!). All still seem to check temperature too. I saw a young Thai lady refused entry at one large upscale mall last week as her temperature was too high (interestingly she tried to walk buy the machine and the guard without checking her temperature and was wearing her mask around her neck!). 

My local Big C has put the automatic temperature checkers in and opened all doors again. But there are staff about too. 

At a very big local market last week, big fresh market, lots of restaurants and shops on the sides etc I noticed lot of people not bothering to wear masks. 

Covid and it's wider effects on society may be tiresome but, it isn't finished or miraculously vanished and there isn't yet a readily available mass produced vaccine. Some countries are still really suffering.

Yesterday at one mall in Rangsit, I waked out of one shop with wifey and daughter. Several of the staff were refolding the clothes on sale without masks and one was coughing all over the place.

Wearing or not wearing a mask, and the benefits might be debatable. But I'll play safe thank you.

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, ericdiam said:

Open the borders urgently with ALL risk free countries. Many have zero or close to zero new cases for many many months

Actually very few, no Western countries.

Aus and NZ may be exceptions but they aren't opening their borders. Why would Thailand?

Edited by polpott

On 11/23/2020 at 2:45 PM, Oldie said:

You are complaining - okay. But why don't you stop to act like everyone else? I clean my mask every evening. 

I am still wearing the same one from May and it is begging for its first wash. Pongs a bit now. Still I am complying. 

8 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I still wear one when out and about, maybe it will stop a "one in a million" chance of stopping a Covid infection...

but it definitely stops PM2.5 and me swallowing concrete/dust particles all day long.

I don't think a mask is meant to prevent you from catching covid, but rather if you have covid it reduces the risk of you passing it on - as the mask will catch some of the water droplets if you sneeze, cough or exhale. 

31 minutes ago, jonclark said:

I don't think a mask is meant to prevent you from catching covid, but rather if you have covid it reduces the risk of you passing it on - as the mask will catch some of the water droplets if you sneeze, cough or exhale. 

So it stops one from coughing/sneezing it out, and another from breathing it in, so it is a preventative measure.

• Like 1