Thank you farang retirees

lovethai123

37 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Really? Have you got any statistics to back that up? Really we are small fry in the big scene of things.

Do you think the Thai economy will suffer if a few expat style bars and food places close down? Will the old retired guy taking an hour to drink his can of cheap beer in the bar really be missed?

What matters is those  long stay farangs in Pattaya and other places whose existence has supported many small restaurants in this covid era. 

I am sure the thai women are missing all sorts of men. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I don't understand everyone retiring here knows what is required of them to stay. 

If you have 800,000 in the bank and the pension keeps coming, I don't see the problem. 

If you are married you only need 400,000 for extension. 

I pay myself the required 65,000 baht a month (no need to keep 800,000 baht in the bank) and never had a problem extending my retirement visa... No problem getting a retirement visa or extending it if you have money.????

• Like 2

7 hours ago, lovethai123 said:

This person employes a thai staff and a foreigner staff for cooking. His business was dependent on tourists. There are no tourists now. 

Since some farang retirees visit his restaurant, he is able to provide salary to the staff and also take care of his family in his home country.

In an economy every bit counts. Chinese can put in truckloads of money but how is that going to help the cleaning staff employed in his restaurant.

He was thankful to the farangs who didn't go back home and stayed in Thailand and he is able to run his business. Though he is not making profits but he is surviving. 

I don't disagree, but who brings in more money? 

Corporations run the world not mom and pop stores. This is also the case back home. 

I am simply arguing that the government doesn't care about small fish. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I'm always amused by that term, as if I have landed on earth from another planet.

Have to disagree with the OP, if anything I am finding the process of getting my visa extension done easier every year.

Yes, English is a funny language. Sometimes one word can have many meanings and other times, many words can have the same meaning.

19 hours ago, lovethai123 said:

I was talking to a non-thai restaurant owner in Pattaya the other day. 

He was thankful to all the farang retirees who live in Pattaya. They are the reason he is able to feed his family back home. 

Now I wonder why the authorities are making it harder and harder for the retirees to live in Thailand when they support the local economy. Even during this pandemic. 

I've been on retirement extensions for about 14 years, no problems. Money in the bank year round.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

But that was never the intent - the 800k was to show you had enough funds to stay the year just as the 400k is for marriage.   It was not designed as a bail bond but to show funds to live.

But you cannt SPEND more than 50% of that 800k ie Bht 33,333 per month.

Better to do the monthly transfer from abroad which allows you to spend every last satang.

• Like 1