Thank you farang retirees

lovethai123

18 hours ago, lovethai123 said:

It means if someone wants to retire in thailand then keep aside 800000 baht in a  separate bank. Don't touch that money. Never ever. That's the safest way. 

No 800 k for me. I transfer in excess of 65k/month, which I did anyway. Never had a problem with a visa in Thailand.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tyler Visan said:

Better to do the monthly transfer from abroad which allows you to spend every last satang.

not everyone wants to spend every last satang... its nice to have $ for spending, but also nice to have for security and not being on the edge of being indigent.... 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, lovethai123 said:

in every way.i m talking pre covid era

so much discussion on this forum about the difficulties getting a proper visa to live there.

also many older guys told me similar things.

but turns out same older retirees are saving many small businesses. 

Many small businesses all around Thailand are being saved one way or another.

Tourist areas without tourists are a different scenario altogether, many do not have retirees to benefit from, a situation that is currently prevalent all around the world.

1 hour ago, montereyjp said:

I pay myself the required 65,000 baht a month (no need to keep 800,000 baht in the bank) and never had a problem extending my retirement visa... No problem getting a retirement visa or extending it if you have money.????

A bit of a smug reply and Thai immigration made that a worry at some stage for people that do that.

I have my own unselfish reasons for keeping money in the Thai bank for 1 yr extension.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I'm always amused by that term, as if I have landed on earth from another planet.

Have to disagree with the OP, if anything I am finding the process of getting my visa extension done easier every year.

Dictionary

a·li·en
/ˈālēən/

Someone belonging to a foreign country or nation.

1. a foreigner, especially one who is not a naturalized citizen of the country where they are living.
    "an illegal alien"

Not to be confused with extraterrestrials:
    ex·tra·ter·res·tri·al
    /ˌekstrətəˈrestrēəl/

adjective

1. of or from outside the earth or its atmosphere.
      "searches for extraterrestrial intelligence

Agree with the visa renewals, easy, if you have the money and do your paperwork correctly.
Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

But that was never the intent - the 800k was to show you had enough funds to stay the year just as the 400k is for marriage.   It was not designed as a bail bond but to show funds to live.

Maybe you do, but I don't recall ever seeing any definitive statement of exactly what the 800k was for, just that it had to be there. Expats of course don't like having to have any deposit and love to know reasons for any rules, so I think they just rationalized thus. We had a long thread recently from a poster disgruntled at having to have health insurance so he tried to claim that deposit money is supposed to be there to take care of hospital bills.

In any case, Thailand's requirements for retirement visas/extensions are reasonable for the country it is (cf. Malaysia) and I've never had any problems w/ Immigration, always been nice to me. Last extension time, I was in and out in 15 min.

2 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

Never forget, the government didn’t invite you to retire here.  Your girlfriend/wife/lover did.

No the government did actively did provide enticements for people to 

retire here.

This is common in many parts of the world.

Sure they only want the ones with money to spend,

but they do hold the door open to them.

And if 90% of retirees and second home people

were to drag up and leave

it would leave a big hole to be filled.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Maybe you do, but I don't recall ever seeing any definitive statement of exactly what the 800k was for

It dates back decades and was the same as income - proof that you can support your stay - 65k a month or 12x65=780 making 800 a round figure in bank at start of the year stay.

• Like 1

It is very simple, thais DO NOT want us here.  If they did they would show it.  Instead, we are having a discussion about WHY?  We already know what, we are trying to justify it by rational.  However, it is simple, when someone doesn't not want you, BELIEVE them!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Maybe you do, but I don't recall ever seeing any definitive statement of exactly what the 800k was for, just that it had to be there.

Its been stated many times over many years. 65k baht/month or 800k in the bank (roughly the same amount) is to ensure that you have enough funds to live in Thailand for the following 12 months without becoming a burden on Thailand. It has always roughly equated to $2,000/month. The exchange rate changed drastically a number of years ago and it was upped to 800k. If there is a large disparity between $2000 and 65k baht in the future, it will be revised again.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, lopburi3 said:

It dates back decades and was the same as income - proof that you can support your stay - 65k a month or 12x65=780 making 800 a round figure in bank at start of the year stay.

Yes it does date back anyway. ???? That's not a clear statement of a "for living expenses" purpose, however. We've all added that in ourselves. Not that it's an unreasonable assumption, mind you. 

It's also a cherished myth here that now you have to leave part of it in for part of the year. Actually, you may withdraw it any time. It's not forcibly held in the bank or forfeited. You would then have to apply for a new visa, however, and presumably receive one if you met the requirements.

21 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

In what way are they finding it harder. 

Thai people are intellectually unable to understand the obvious advantages of having relatively well-off aliens living among them. The society has always been racist to the core and that will probably never change. The Thai mode of thought is very similar to the American Trump supporters, who simply cannot STAND the thought of an Hispanic alien taking a job that the average American would never accept. That's how racism works "You are different and we don't want you here."

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

Thai people are intellectually unable to understand the obvious advantages of having relatively well-off aliens living among them. The society has always been racist to the core and that will probably never change. The Thai mode of thought is very similar to the American Trump supporters, who simply cannot STAND the thought of an Hispanic alien taking a job that the average American would never accept. That's how racism works "You are different and we don't want you here."

Utter nonsense. When are you leaving to, ah, Mindanao? Ready to announce the schedule?

5 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Merely that you may be mistaken.???? Again? But do quote the Thai regulation that says "to ensure" blah if it's really there. Should be easy enough. I'm always open-minded.

Yes again. You've made the same insinuations several times in different threads recently. I'm not mistaken. If you want chapter and verse behind the reason for the 800k, P.M. ubon joe, I'm sure he'll oblige. Me, I'm done with your baseless insults.

Edit.

Ah! judging by your reply to Khun Fred its clear why you are trolling me. My avitar. He lost bigly, get over it.

Edited by polpott
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, polpott said:

Its been stated many times over many years. 65k baht/month or 800k in the bank (roughly the same amount) is to ensure that you have enough funds to live in Thailand for the following 12 months without becoming a burden on Thailand. It has always roughly equated to $2,000/month. The exchange rate changed drastically a number of years ago and it was upped to 800k. If there is a large disparity between $2000 and 65k baht in the future, it will be revised again.

That may have worked when you could use the money.  Now that you have to keep the full 800k in your account for 3 months, then have to keep 400k for 7 months, then back up to 800k 2 months before extension time, it doesn't work.

I do understand the 800k on the day you get your extension to prove you're solvent, but I think we should be able to use it to live on during the year.

• Like 1

Just now, DefaultName said:

That may have worked when you could use the money.  Now that you have to keep the full 800k in your account for 3 months, then have to keep 400k for 7 months, then back up to 800k 2 months before extension time, it doesn't work.

I do understand the 800k on the day you get your extension to prove you're solvent, but I think we should be able to use it to live on during the year.

Agree, the requirement to keep 400k in the bank for 12 months goes against the original reason for the lump sum requirement.

I use 65k monthly requirement, no change for me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

It still works, but presumably only for a big emergency, as you'd then have to get a new visa rather than extend the old one.

21 hours ago, transam said:

In LOS a farang is referred to as an alien, ask immigration, not a foreign bloke, an alien, so to me I/we might be looked at as a zoological thingy....????

That would be an animal.... we retirees come from much further afield.

• Haha 1