Thank you farang retirees

lovethai123

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

Utter nonsense. When are you leaving to, ah, Mindanao? Ready to announce the schedule?

One man's "utter nonsense" is another's truth, borne out by experience. I daresay, that I have as much "proof" of my viewpoint as you have of your predictable defense of "Thainess". The "charmed by Thailand" set is pretty much a given in fora devoted to this country. They even jump to the defense of Thailand when they are being treated much as African-Americans were treated in 1960. I will announce my schedule when the Philippines announces theirs. Meanwhile, the lumpen Thai will continue to formulate new plans to infuriate and alienate their benefactors.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I don't understand everyone retiring here knows what is required of them to stay. 

If you have 800,000 in the bank and the pension keeps coming, I don't see the problem. 

If you are married you only need 400,000 for extension. 

The "smug git" crowd appear to be very active on this thread. They seem to have a coming together whenever it's suggested that retirees are  being hard done by.

• Sad 3
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

In what way are they finding it harder. 

exactly. It is still 800,000 bt same as it was nearly 20 years ago which means probably the equivalent of BT 400,000 today so it's basically cheaper. The only people who are finding it harder to get a retirement Visa of those that don't have the financial requirements.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I don't understand everyone retiring here knows what is required of them to stay. 

If you have 800,000 in the bank and the pension keeps coming, I don't see the problem. 

If you are married you only need 400,000 for extension. 

Your last sentence, it's all the hassle you have to go through to get that 400.000 ext. I have known personally and heard of quite a few people  who have been through this. I accept there may be IOs that don't give you the same hassles as others,but TiT.

The OP refers to one restaurant in expat heavy Pattaya.

Take the country as a whole I think this current group who mostly reside here contributes very little to the economy.

Even in Pattaya there are very few restaurants and bars they frequent.  Mostly near LK, tree town and central Soi Buakhao.

Evidence is the 100s of places that have closed down.

The Visa situation here is one of the easiest processes. Mostly those who lack the proper funds are complaining about it.  That to me is a personal issue maybe lack of planning or motivation, not Thailand making it difficult.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, lovethai123 said:

It means if someone wants to retire in thailand then keep aside 800000 baht in a  separate bank. Don't touch that money. Never ever. That's the safest way. 

If you are planning to live here in retirement for the rest of your life, that is like paying 800.000 Baht to do so. Better to keep that 800.000 Baht for yourself to do with as you wish instead of just giving it away. Use an agent, it is not illegal.

2 hours ago, KhunFred said:

Thai people are intellectually unable to understand the obvious advantages of having relatively well-off aliens living among them. The society has always been racist to the core and that will probably never change. The Thai mode of thought is very similar to the American Trump supporters, who simply cannot STAND the thought of an Hispanic alien taking a job that the average American would never accept. That's how racism works "You are different and we don't want you here."

That's kinda sad, I'm glad I don't think of Thailand like that or think Thai people are like that.

My Thai wife wants me here. 

Americans always make me laugh maybe Thai people are scared they wipe out the native population of Thailand as well. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I doubt the people that make the rules care about restaurant owners ( whether farang or Thai ) in Pattaya. Just because corona happened doesn't mean that anything changes politically, IMO.

True. The unelected "PM" and his soldiers pockets just keep bulging, corona or no corona. Why should they care how long the borders stay shut, or there is no tourism and lots of people have or are losing their income.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

Never forget, the government didn’t invite you to retire here.  Your girlfriend/wife/lover did.

That's right, so why do so many people who come to Thailand to retire or are tourists refer to themselves as "guests"?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

True. The unelected "PM" and his soldiers pockets just keep bulging, corona or no corona. Why should they care how long the borders stay shut, or there is no tourism and lots of people have or are losing their income.

As long as the mysterious foreign funds keep flowing into Thailand—they’re good.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, jesimps said:

The "smug git" crowd appear to be very active on this thread. They seem to have a coming together whenever it's suggested that retirees are  being hard done by.

Precisely the point: you don't understand. You don't understand "lower income" people, because you probably had a cushy government job for most of your life or had the financial "cushion" to allow you to save the obscene sum of 800 thousand baht to prop up the near-criminal Thai banking system. First the American and British Embassies gave us a good "rear-ending" by claiming that income letters were not part of their mission, whilst most European embassies have no problem with it. Then the Immigration authorities decided to up the ante on finances because they don't have an inkling about economics and basically consider farangs a bottomless "money pit", seeing us as a pack of sleazy, grifters that pick money off trees and take jobs away from Thai people. Same mindset as American Trumptards. I actually had a well educated Thai woman insist that farang English teachers were "cheating" qualified Thai teachers out of jobs. Despite a Masters Degree, this woman (an aspiring teacher) could not put together a proper sentence in the English language, and showed more than a hint of the prevailing jealousy that infects so many Thai people. My pathetic 80 thousand baht monthly pension has caused several Thai people to suggest that I must be involved in "shady business".    I hear "farang...he RICH" so much that I want to throw up. Once the Covid madness ends, Cambodia should get serious about becoming a serious competitor for the farang/barang expat dollar.It should be no problem to cut a deal with some Thai hospitals to provide a medical infrastructure that could rival the LOS. As far as I know, there are only two or three hospitals in Cambodia (one of which is Thai owned) that are of a sufficient standard to compete with those in Thailand. Malaysia could be a big player, if they would abandon their requirement for a hefty bank deposit for retirees.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 5

4 hours ago, polpott said:

Its been stated many times over many years. 65k baht/month or 800k in the bank (roughly the same amount) is to ensure that you have enough funds to live in Thailand for the following 12 months without becoming a burden on Thailand.

The 65000 monthly income in homeland is still accepted to get an extension based on retirement.

No need to show money in a Thai bank, no need to show a monthly transfer.

This condition is however no more workable for Americans, Australians, Britons.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

I'm curious as to why you think 800,000 THB is an obscene amount of money when that's just 10 months pension to you, you must have had a reasonable job/salary to be able to retire with that much pension so surely over the 30-40 years that you were working you could have saved £20,000? 

I didn't.

Working time, big monthly income, same spending.

Since 20 years on pension, there was a time I got 100000 ThB for my monthly pension income ( I am paid in Euro ) now 80000, I spend them monthly.

This is my way.

I don't say to anyone it is the best way,

don't accept from others I should do it otherwise.

Up to me and up to them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I planned my retirement to settle in Thailand I apologize if some of my posts are brief to the point.

I guess many didn't do any planning and thought things would not change that's not Thai peoples fault. 

The change this govt made since I was here for retirement is the same 800,000 it's just 400,000 of it having to be kept in Thai banks for certain period of time that's changed. 

Marriage extensions haven't changed except for more paperwork over the years. 

The next was foreign country embassy that messed things up not the Thai govt for showing proof of earnings but I believe that sorted now. 

The pandemic C19 has messed up people going out of Thailand to get visa extensions and come back again at the moment, that's not the Thai Govt's fault. 

I don't see it as Thai govt making things that more difficult it's just the way things are. 

Of course it's the government making it harder.

In the 90s I could live in Thailand on visa exempt entries of 90 days renewed indefinitely by a border run to Malaya ( in and out ).

Not possible now due to changes in regulations.

Of course, back then the immigration actually wanted us to visit long time, and welcomed us to the country.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, luckyluke said:

I didn't.

Working time, big monthly income, same spending.

Since 20 years on pension, there was a time I got 100000 ThB for my monthly pension income ( I am paid in Euro ) now 80000, I spend them monthly.

This is my way.

I don't say to anyone it is the best way,

don't accept from others I should do it otherwise.

Up to me and up to them.

Yep, I completely agree with you that it's everybody's personal choice what they do with their money (I just wish the guys who come out with statements like "You have to have a head full of rocks to keep 800K in a Thai Bank account" would also agree that it's a personal choice).    

At the same time it's up to everybody to deal with the consequences of their choices & they can't really complain later that it's the requirements that are unfair when they've chosen not to save to be able to meet them.

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, KhunFred said:

My pathetic 80 thousand baht monthly pension has caused several Thai people to suggest that I must be involved in "shady business".    I hear "farang...he RICH" so much that I want to throw up.

So, you make it a habit of sharing your income and financial situation with Thai people?

Why?

20 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

So, you make it a habit of sharing your income and financial situation with Thai people?

Why?

Perhaps because it is expected and requested at just about every application for anything including hospitals and supermarkets?  

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1